Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Thoughts on the "Safety Bullet" ?

Last edited by mikey; February 21st, 2010 at 09:32 PM.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Thoughts on the "Safety Bullet" ?

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    I just saw this in a new gun magazine of mine and wondered what others thought of the idea/concept. Link to website at bottom

I watched the videos and think it is a good product for people with young children or grandchildren who come to visit, and don't want to have their home defense gun locked up in a safe.

I think I might get a pair to try, and then maybe set up a pass-around for others who would like to try them.

What are your thought on this....?

http://www.safetybullet.com/home.html
    I don't know. I don't have kids but, if I did, I think I'd be more comfortable with some kind of quick access pistol safe.

(Lancaster County)

Interesting but I think I would just not chamber the first round. I dont know what the safety bullets cost but another option is to put a blank in as your first round. If your kids accidently shoot that they will be so scared they hopefully would never touch the gun again. Besides I would be to tempted to try them and use up my whole supply in the process.

(Northampton County)

Personally, I don't want a part in my gun that is specifically designed to disable the gun. And if I did, for some reason, I would rather have something external that I couldn't forget about at the wrong time. Finally, what if they don't work as advertised in all guns? Or, what if they are 100% reliable (normally), but have a bad lot? Such that your gun is disabled from the moment you chamber safety bullet but you never know. With bad ammo, you cycle. With bad safety round, you die.

How do we know reliability of real manufactured ammo? Is it manufacturer testing? No. That is QA/QC. The reason we know manufactured ammo has a reliable design is because millions and millions of rounds in each cal are manufactured and shot each month. It could be a very long time before somebody realizes safety bullet locks up your gun when chambered sometimes.

(Cumberland County)

Did anyone else almost throw up when he started mashing that steel rod down the bore?

I would sooner buy some dummy rounds then that like the one person mentioned. You can practice clearing stoppages and dry firing with dummy rounds as well if you have them.

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    Interesting but I think I would just not chamber the first round. I dont know what the safety bullets cost but another option is to put a blank in as your first round. If your kids accidently shoot that they will be so scared they hopefully would never touch the gun again. Besides I would be to tempted to try them and use up my whole supply in the process.
    The point of the safety bullet is to lock up the gun if it is fired. Not chambering a round or a blank will not do that. Also, they are able to be reset with the rod, so you wouldn't use up the whole supply trying it out.

Quote Originally Posted by sciroccosven View Post
    Did anyone else almost throw up when he started mashing that steel rod down the bore?

I would sooner buy some dummy rounds then that like the one person mentioned. You can practice clearing stoppages and dry firing with dummy rounds as well if you have them.
    It was a plastic rod. The second video showed that it was plastic.

It's a neat idea, but I would rather keep my guns locked up. There's no substitute for proper gun safety, which includes keeping it out of reach of children. My guns are always locked up except when I go to bed it stays by my bed, and my bedroom door is locked. My kids don't get the chance to access my guns. Even if they did, I taught them proper gun safety and handling and they regularly shoot guns with me, so they wouldn't have the itch to 'try it out.'

Last edited by mikey; February 21st, 2010 at 09:32 PM.

(Allegheny County)

It's definitely a neat idea. I don't have kids, but I can see the value if I did.

I'd argue a blank as well, but the actual muzzle blast can / will still hurt say a child pointing it at another's face up close. Granted it's not the same as dying. But this is probably better than a blank.

(Cambria County)

My thoughts?

I would not use the product for a number of reasons.

I would not want to have to try to remember if I had safety bullets in the gun while in the midst of a crisis that would require me to put the gun into operation quickly.

A mistake or malfunction would render my gun useless. Murphy just eats that shit up. I don't like to tempt Murphy.

It is a false sense of security. If you had the safety bullets in the gun, would that then make it okay to leave the gun unsecured and unattended? I hope the answer is 'no', so then, what's the point?

It is a false sense of security because many people know that if they 'acquire' a firearm (such as a disarm) the first thing they need to do is rack the slide to ensure the gun is put into operation.

When I want to put my gun into operation, I want to be able to do it 'now' not one or two slide racks later.

My gun was designed to hold bullets, not gimmicks.

Did you see the way the the people were handling the guns in the videos? And if that was not bad enough, the narrator instructed to put the safety bullet into the 'clip'.

I can't support that kind of nonsense with my $$$. YMMV.

(York County)

Yeah this seems like a classic case of curing the symptom and not the disease.

It has ONE pro: Kid or perp gets gun (and they pull trigger right away, which is only one of many different posibilities that a kid or perp could take), gun is useless.

It has many cons: others have said plenty. Another is you have to cycle your gun to get a live round (if you even remember), so during a home invasion, etc, you just (likely) lost the element of surprise.

Keep your stuff locked, keep your kids trained=cure.
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast