Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Student defends self with sword... may face criminal charges

(CNN) -- A Johns Hopkins University student killed an apparent burglar with a samurai sword after discovering the man in his garage, police said Tuesday.

Baltimore, Maryland, police received a phone call shortly before 1:30 a.m. Tuesday about a suspicious person, and an off-duty officer arrived at the scene with campus security, city police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said.

When authorities arrived, they heard calls for help and for police, he said. They discovered a suspected burglar with a severed left hand and severe lacerations to his upper body, Guglielmi said.

The suspect died at the scene, he said.

The man had entered a home where several Johns Hopkins students lived, Guglielmi said. Four students, one armed with a samurai sword, had confronted the suspect in the garage.

The man "lunged" at the students, and the student with the sword defended himself, severing the man's left hand and cutting his upper body, Guglielmi said.

Police did not release the name of the suspect, who Guglielmi said had a long criminal history, or that of the student.

Police questioned the three witnesses, Guglielmi said, and released them. It was not immediately clear whether all four students lived at the house, he said.

Authorities are determining whether the student will face criminal charges, Guglielmi said.

Burglars had taken two laptops and a Sony PlayStation from the students' home Monday, Guglielmi said.

The burglary suspect had been released from prison Saturday, Guglielmi said.
    Emphasis mine...

My only question is... WTF? He was defending himself from a burglar in his own home... The burglar had just been released from prison on SATURDAY.

And the student may face criminal charges??? What the F for, might I ask??

What is the world coming to?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Student defends self with sword... may face criminal charges

Quote Originally Posted by ehidle View Post
    Emphasis mine...

My only question is... WTF? He was defending himself from a burglar in his own home... The burglar had just been released from prison on SATURDAY.

And the student may face criminal charges??? What the F for, might I ask??

What is the world coming to?
    One word: Maryland

Actually, you do have a right to self defense in MD. You can reply to hostile force with a barrage of begging and pleading.

ETA: +Rep to the student NON victim.
    Keep perspective, recognize the good in your enemies and the bad in your friends.
    "--you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein, Revolt in 2100

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Student defends self with sword... may face criminal charges

WAKE UP OR WACO!