Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default SCOTUS overturns race-based admissions

MY BAD. this isn't about admissions but could and should affect admissions. Too late to delete

This is a crappy write-up as this is breaking right now. I'm sure there's better summaries coming.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070628/...schools_race_3

This is great!

/I hope that wanting things to be fair doesn't make me racist...
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

Default Re: SCOTUS overturns race-based admissions

Moving chairs around on the boat deck of the Lusitania. Trash the government schools altogether; the real problem is lack of choice for students.

(Westmoreland County)

This isn't about college admissions but could have an impact on them. The case is regarding 2 schools which students applied to but were rejected based on their race. The schools were trying to force racial diversity at the expense of other students.

http://rawstory.com/news/2007/Suprem...ions_0628.html

"The way to stop discrimination on the basis of race is to stop discriminating on the basis of race," Roberts wrote.
    I'm not a fan of Roberts but he's on target with this.

(York County)

i like the roberts quote...
    the msn ain't gonna like it...
    they're having a bad day with this ruling and the shamnesty defeat in the senate...gee, what a shame...

(Westmoreland County)

NOT YOURS!

(Jefferson County)

Forcing integration is just as bad as force separation. Busing in people whether black, white or whatever from other areas just because a certain area has lack of specific race is just asinine. I know that sends a message that I'm racist, however I'm far from it. I have a black ex-fiancee' whom which I'm still friends with that can testify to the fact that I'm not prejudice.

(Allegheny County)

From the syllabus of the court's Opinion:

Respondent school districts voluntarily adopted student assignment plans that rely on race to determine which schools certain children may attend. The Seattle district, which has never operated legally segregated schools or been subject to court-ordered desegregation, classified children as white or nonwhite, and used the racial classifications as a “tiebreaker” to allocate slots in particular high schools. The Jefferson County, Ky., district was subject to a desegregation decree until 2000, when the District Court dissolved the decree after finding that the district had eliminated the vestiges of prior segregation to the greatest extent practicable. In 2001, the district adopted its plan classifying students as black or “other” in order to make certain elementary school assignments and to rule on transfer requests.

Petitioners, an organization of Seattle parents (Parents Involved) and the mother of a Jefferson County student (Joshua), whose children were or could be assigned under the foregoing plans, filed these suits contending, inter alia, that allocating children to different public schools based solely on their race violates the Fourteenth Amendment ’s equal protection guarantee. In the Seattle case, the District Court granted the school district summary judgment, finding, inter alia, that its plan survived strict scrutiny on the federal constitutional claim because it was narrowly tailored to serve a compelling government interest. The Ninth Circuit affirmed. In the Jefferson County case, the District Court found that the school district had asserted a compelling interest in maintaining racially diverse schools, and that its plan was, in all relevant respects, narrowly tailored to serve that interest. The Sixth Circuit affirmed.

Held: The judgments are reversed, and the cases are remanded.

(Montgomery County)

Each time I see one of these threads I get pissed off, sorry! You assume every student gets accepted based upon his or her performance. In America that is the furthest from the truth. For example our current president you think he got into college based upon his academic performance? So STOP it already!

ACCEPT the fact that your previous generations, maybe even some of your parents, MURDERED blacks that learned to read. You READ you DIE! So it's going to take generations to catch up to what is the so called "standard".

Now this does not excuse the acts of self destruction that is happening in OUR community today. We have a chance now to better ourselves and our neighborhoods and we're not taking advantage of the opportunity. I am guilty for some of that too.

To make this just a little more personal, my mother cannot read and my father has about a 4th grade level of education. Nobody sat down with me after school to help with home, I had to learn on my own. That's huge! But I had the opporturnity to do this with my children and I am very thankful for it.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeets View Post
    Each time I see one of these threads I get pissed off, sorry! You assume every student gets accepted based upon his or her performance. In America that is the furthest from the truth. For example our current president you think he got into college based upon his academic performance? So STOP it already!

ACCEPT the fact that your previous generations, maybe even some of your parents, MURDERED blacks that learned to read. You READ you DIE! So it's going to take generations to catch up to what is the so called "standard".

Now this does not excuse the acts of self destruction that is happening in OUR community today. We have a chance now to better ourselves and our neighborhoods and we're not taking advantage of the opportunity. I am guilty for some of that too.

To make this just a little more personal, my mother cannot read and my father has about a 4th grade level of education. Nobody sat down with me after school to help with home, I had to learn on my own. That's huge! But I had the opporturnity to do this with my children and I am very thankful for it.
    No one is saying that's how all placement is, or even most but when it comes to my tax dollars subsidizing educations, schools, research, etc. I at least want to have faith that it's being given/supporting the people that will do the most with it. Equality is one thing, oppression of a portion for the uplifting of another portion is wrong.

Roberts said it best about the "...best way to stop discrimination based on race is to stop discriminating on the basis of race". What you're saying is that it's OK to discriminate based on race, so that we can repay the sins of our fathers.

Why not pass a parents debt onto the children? It's no different. If your father buys a couch and dies, you should be held responsible for that couch, right?
    Last edited by D-FENS; July 2nd, 2007 at 11:11 AM.

(Westmoreland County)

Not to mention that many many many people in this country come from immigrants at the turn of the century. I'm one of them as are many people in this country, if not most.

It's stupid and intellectually retarded to suggest that I and others are responsible for what happened 150 years ago by people that we share nothing more with except a skin color.

You're certainly not interested in equality, you want everyone else to pick up the tab for injustices that you've never experienced that were done by people long dead.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast