Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Default Ethics? Ettiquette? Or what. . . .

Ethics? Or simply etiquette??

I am kind of bemused by this, and perhaps others have experience a similar situation. I’m sitting here wondering just what the “DEAL” really is.
    Anyway, here is the history.
    ************************************************** *****************************
    “PAFOA Member X” posted a “for sale” ad on the PAFOA Classified, following the guidelines in fully stating name of item, condition of item, accessories that go with item, and his selling price, which seemed (to me) reasonable for the item, in condition claimed, and at stated terms.

I PM’ed the seller, “X”, stating unequivocally that he would buy the item at the stated price, and suggested a meeting-place at a FFL very near to seller for the FTF transaction,and giving his name, phone #.

“X” replied by phone, arranged the FTF meeting to conclude the sale at a location near to his own home location.

But the following day, “X” called me, stating he had withdrawn the item from the market.

Of course, “X” is entitled to offer for sale, actually sell, or withdraw any offer to sell his own property, even up to the point of actually receiving cash in hand for such property. And the Commonwealth's “Right of Rescission” statutes may have some application, too, even after cash has changed hands.

I guess my question is : “What do YOU do in similar circumstances? Have you ever had occasion to be either “X” or “Y”? Or have you been both, at one time or another?

For myself, I respect “X’s” right to do whatever he wishes with his own and hold no gripe, either way. I’ve just not had this happen much, in 70+ years.

Thanks,

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Centre County)

Default Re: Ethics? Ettiquette? Or what. . . .

Could have been "sellers remorse" or by getting an almost immediate response maybe he thought he had it priced too low. Watch the ads and see if it comes back up at a higher price. Also, how many posts did it show for the seller? Many come on the forum just to sell something. I think that after placing the ad and getting a quick response he had second thoughts.

Personally, If I have it for sale, it's for sale (otherwise, why list it) and some one contacts me, as far as I am concerned, the first person to hand over the money gets it.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Jefferson County)

I wouldn't get too upset about it unless I had to drive more than 10 or 15 minutes before he changed his mind. There are a lot of reasons someone could withdraw something--just simply decided against it, needed money and got something else sold first, sold it locally... who knows?

The public is a fickle bitch.

(Allegheny County)

"X"?

I've never been good at algebra.

(Lehigh County)

Maybe the "X" and "Y" are really chromosomes.
    Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you. -Andrew Wilkow

I think this happens a lot with firearms more than people realize. I know that I get attached to firearms, especially one that was given to me or inherited. I also get attached to them as I hunt and spend more and more range time with them. Many times, when people think about it, sometimes they'd rather do without something else or hang on to it. It's difficult, but sometimes that's just how it is. I have yet to sell a firearm or offer to sel one, because I love all of mine.