Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default So you thought bundling mortgages as investments was a bad idea? HA!

Just when you thought that maybe, just MAYBE, Wall Street would actually start using a little judgement about what they tried to sell as an investment the bozos that brought you triple A rated mortgage backed securities have come up with a new scheme.

This time the gig is buying up life insurance policies hoping the owners die soon for a bigger payoff ... yup, you read that right:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/06/bu...surance&st=cse

Now THAT'S what I call a 'death panel'

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: So you thought bundling mortgages as investments was a bad idea? HA!

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    Just when you thought that maybe, just MAYBE, Wall Street would actually start using a little judgement about what they tried to sell as an investment the bozos that brought you triple A rated mortgage backed securities have come up with a new scheme.

This time the gig is buying up life insurance policies hoping the owners die soon for a bigger payoff ... yup, you read that right:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/06/bu...surance&st=cse

Now THAT'S what I call a 'death panel'
    That's been going on for a while now. It's actually been declining a bit, especially since the bond market seized up. No body could get funding (read: credit) to buy the stuff. Know a guy that did that for about a year or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

Default Re: So you thought bundling mortgages as investments was a bad idea? HA!

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    That's been going on for a while now. It's actually been declining a bit, especially since the bond market seized up. No body could get funding (read: credit) to buy the stuff. Know a guy that did that for about a year or so.
    Yeah the buying of policies has been going on for a while but NEVER has it been securitized and sold as an investment on Wall street

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    Yeah the buying of policies has been going on for a while but NEVER has it been securitized and sold as an investment on Wall street
    Kind of. The guy that I referenced was a sells guy. His job was to sell them to large Pensions, Endowments, Wealthy Individuals, etc. Basically, the same people that bought up all the crap mortgages.

People should really look into the stuff that our state invests in for it's pension fund. Most people think that ... "hey, I'm not on state pension so it really doesn't matter". Wrong ... when their funding is short, our tax money goes in there. BTW, last time I checked PA had a lot of interesting strategies in their fund. It's been a good year or two since I checked.
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    Kind of. The guy that I referenced was a sells guy. His job was to sell them to large Pensions, Endowments, Wealthy Individuals, etc. Basically, the same people that bought up all the crap mortgages.

People should really look into the stuff that our state invests in for it's pension fund. Most people think that ... "hey, I'm not on state pension so it really doesn't matter". Wrong ... when their funding is short, our tax money goes in there. BTW, last time I checked PA had a lot of interesting strategies in their fund. It's been a good year or two since I checked.
    I think the main problem was that the way they were bundled not many knew or could understand what the hell was in those investments. Maybe they still don't.

(Monroe County)

Is it me or do viatical settlements just feel... um creepy.

I found both triggers to be terrible to me so the triggers are on a scale to me.. The Glock was a crisper suck and the XD was a more mushy suck. They are in the same family, SR9 (heavy suck), Glock (crisp heavy suck), XD( lighter mushy suck), M&P(heavy mushy suck).

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
    I think the main problem was that the way they were bundled not many knew or could understand what the hell was in those investments. Maybe they still don't.
    Very true. And they were lulled into a warm cozy feeling from the Rating agencies.