24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Remington r700P

17 70.83%
  • Savage Model10FP

7 29.17%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Schuylkill County)

Default Need opinions: .308

Ok, my next purchase is going to be either a Remington r700P, or a Savage Model10FP.

I just wanted anyone's input on which one and why. I know both are reliable, LE rifles, and have shot and love both of them. However, as much as I'd like, I cant get both..

So anyone that has experience, and has an opinion as to why the one is better over the other, please let me know..

Thanks!

PS: I know I'm going to be spending upwards of 1000+ regardless when all is said and done, so price isn't and overly big factor. The cheaper initially, the more I can spend on accessories, but it is most likely going to balance out no matter what.

EDIT: Also, if you feel there is another bolt-action rifle that is in the same league (cost/accuracy/reliability/etc) please state so. I'm always open to other suggestions!
    Last edited by NikeBauer21; September 15th, 2009 at 08:46 AM.
    III%

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Need opinions: .308

I would rather have the Remmy 5R than the 700P. The only thing that I like about the 700P that the 5R doesn't have is a matte black finish, but that can be fixed. The 5R shouldn't be much more the 700P either.

Don't have experience with the savage.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Luzerne County)

The m700 action in a repeater is one of the worst type of rifles to be acurate. The m700 action in a single shot type is one of the bestrifles to be acurate. The cut for the magazine makes the cross section of a m700 next to nothing. This is why the old Rem m788 was known for such accuracy,it was stiff.One od the best target type rifles out there is a single shot Rem 40xb,they are expensive,and they guarante them for accuracy.Savage is now making single shot actions in there target versions. Looks like a good stiff action made from bar stock. As far a barels go button rifled types a usually better than hammer forged types.Don't readabout the hype. Look look at what the bench rest guys use,ten shots inside of 1/10" at 100 yards is impressive to anyone.

(Bucks County)

Mongo I do not understand the reasoning of your post. The Model 788 uses a detachable magazine. It does not use a solid receiver. The 788 is a rear lock up action. This resulted in an extremely fast lock-time. That is the main reason for their fine accuraccy. If you take a decent action and barrel and have it blueprinted, trued, glassbedded, use high quality optics and good ammo it will shoot. The shooter provides the skill. Also, 100 yard groups in my opinion are not representive of what a rifle is caple of shooting.

Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

(Northumberland County)

i shot a Savage with Accu-trigger - they are very accurate trigger systems . Remington is a very solid rifle - one of the best ever built, its pretty tough choice, but i choose the Savage.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by TXDMERC73 View Post
    i shot a Savage with Accu-trigger - they are very accurate trigger systems . Remington is a very solid rifle - one of the best ever built, its pretty tough choice, but i choose the Savage.
    Yea, I knew it was a very light pull, but regardless, the first time I shot it, it kind of caught me off guard. Soooo smooth though!
    III%

(Bucks County)

I should have mentioned that in addirion to the other work the rifle needs a first rate trigger. The stock Rem. trigger and the Savage Accu-trash don't cut it. Install a Jewell and never look back.

Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

(Lehigh County)

I voted for the Remington 700. I have shot both rifles and would have to say in most respects they are equal as far as performance goes. I own a Remington 700 and I decided to start my build with it because of price and availablity of parts.

The Remington 700 is the "small block chevy" of the bolt action rifle. Parts are plentiful and less expensive than the Savage.

To the OP:
    If you plan on doing a full build you can start cheaper with a 700 SPS and upgrade from there. There are a number of threads about this on here. I don't have time to get into my build right now but I have shot 1/2 inch groups at 200 yds with my build... that started with the SPS Tactical in .308. Honestly I haven't had to do much to the rifle to get it to shoot like this. I replaced the stock, 20 MOA picatinny rail and a little bit of trigger adjustment.

I don't think you can go wrong with either choice, they are both great rifles and will perform for you. I just think you can get the same performance for less money with the Remington 700.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pukindog View Post
    I should have mentioned that in addirion to the other work the rifle needs a first rate trigger. The stock Rem. trigger and the Savage Accu-trash don't cut it. Install a Jewell and never look back.

Jeff
    I kept the X-Mark Pro trigger on my rifle, I happen to like it. All I did was adjust it to about 3.5lbs. I like it that way... It breaks clean with zero creep. No problems here.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

The 10FP is the most accurate factory rifle that I have seen. We have sold several and all of them were less than moa. without any mods. and with plain factory ammo. Have a little problem with the comb hight but that can be fixed with a pad.
    IMHO the most bang for the buck.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast