Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Hokkmike Guest

Default A Tale of Two Guns.....

Went shooting this weekend with my new Walther PPS .40 S & W. My friend, who generously has let me hunt deer on his land for the last 30 years, has an older son who brought along his newly purchased Hi-Point in 9mm. (He had never fired a semi auto before.)

Well with both of us shot with equal accuracy that was pretty good and both pistols perfomed with equal aplumb, not withstanding the $400 price difference between the two. But here is the real kicker;

the older son's 11 year old kid (he has also never fired a semi before) tried his hand at shooting the 9mm and after a little safety instruction and basic, how to hold the gun, etc., from me, proceeded to blow us away with his accurate shooting.

Maybe it was beginners luck or maybe the kid is a natural, but the point to me is that you can't always judge success in the auto pistol game by how great a gun you use or how much you have shot, though they both help. I guess the proof is in the shooting.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: A Tale of Two Guns.....

Probably not only beginners luck, but also a combination of a NEW person not having any bad faults to try to break.

Glad to hear that he did well but learned from someone that KNOWS what they are doing.....

Keep up the good work and get more kids ( young adults ) into the shooting sports....

(Northampton County)

Default Re: A Tale of Two Guns.....

My daughter ,who was an intern at the time, was invited out to the shooting range by her co workers. She was working in the flight center for a package delivery company. Almost everyone she worked with was ex Military- male and owned several hand guns. She had never fired a gun before. When they all got to the range a fellow worker offered to let her use his custom .45cal pistol. To everyone's amazement she out shot them all. Blaming her superior shooting results on beginners luck they demanded a rematch. Once again she out shot the 5 men using a borrowed gun. I was skeptical about her story until I actually got to see the targets proudly displayed on her apartment wall. Some people are natural born marksmen or in her case markswomen.
    The fact that you were out shot with a $100 Hi Point doesn't surprise me. Those guns maybe inexpensive but they are very accurate right out of the box. Hand Gun Magazine did a test comparison of new 380cal. pistols and the Hi Point came in Second only to a pistol that cost 4x more. YOU NEVER KNOW.