Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: New Tobyhanna Range Update

no shotguns shooting unless your loaded with slugs. It's the one difference between NY and here. I have a ton more firearm options and can carry which is great and would not trade this for anything but I spent years at a range called Calverton on Long Island. Me and my buddies go with boxes of skeet and shells and for ten bucks a person you got an open pit to blast away with the shotguns till your hearts content. It's how my love for shotguns developed. I did not even own anything but shotguns. I would love to find a place with an open pit to throw my own skeet and shoot away, if anyone knows of a place like this let me know, until then I have to feed my shotgun addiction at Sunset Hill.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by ByAnyMeans View Post
    but I spent years at a range called Calverton on Long Island. Me and my buddies go with boxes of skeet and shells and for ten bucks a person you got an open pit to blast away with the shotguns till your hearts content.
    Oh yeah good times out at the Calverton shooting range...I left a lot of lead go downrange there.

(Monroe County)

I'm going up there as soon as I get out at 5. The best part is that my mother wants to finally shoot her 5 year old bersa .380 which was bought for home defense and has been sitting with a loaded mag since it was bought

(Wayne County)

I hope you brought your bug dope! The blackflies were out in force today up here. Six more weeks of enormous forehead and ear welts.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Monroe County)

doesnt Pocono Manor and Skytop Lodge have trap areas?
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(York County)

Pocono Manor has a sporting clays course at their rod and gun club, pretty nice too

I taught an NRA Basic Pistol class there Saturday afternoon. The folks that were there when we got there were pretty cool. Some boyfriends showing their ladies how to shoot. Anyhow, when I started going through the shooting drills, this old guy smoking a cigar was trying to pick up our expended brass, it was getting pretty annoying, so I politely asked him to step back. He was pretty cool after that. Just a lonely old man, I guess. What was hilarious, and pathetic, was some lady in the far right shooting port smoking a cigarette while shooting, and her little girl was sitting 5 ft behind her playing with her toys. That definitely is not the place for a child to be playing, but since it's a public range, what can you do? The PGC officer drove by twice, but didn't say anything. Gotta love those public ranges.
    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor-2009,classes available.

(Monroe County)

Going to try and get up their tommorrow, Thursday the 20th around 2pm if everything works out.

Maybe i'll see soemone up their.

(Monroe County)

HEY BAM, former calverton JUnkie here too, ive beeen going there since it were only $5 , shoot all day, before George the owner died, There will never be another place like Calverton, Harry the son charges $10 now but still a great place to shoot , when my son were born he learned to shoot there too, he shot my AR when he were only 6 or 7.

I used to make the trip from Queens, after the range i would stop by route 25 and buy the sack of Potatoes and corn for $5 per sack from the local farmers on the side of the road ,then share it among my neighbors, those were the days.
    Last edited by mrnyman; May 19th, 2010 at 05:40 PM.

(Monroe County)

Calverton was the best. I was not familiar with their names but if George was the older guy who tooled around in the golfcart then he was cool. I would always arrive early and he would let me set up at the rifle benches for half price waiting for my friends to get their. Always got yelled at by the older lady in the elevated wooden platform to "slow your fire Rambo". I really miss that place. Loved buying the sweetcorn by the side of the road or hitting Port Jefferson for some Lobster Bisque.

What part of Queens did you live in. I lived in Bayside and Glen Oaks/Little Neck.
    Last edited by ByAnyMeans; May 19th, 2010 at 06:28 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 LastLast