Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default Always follow the 4 rules

This is a horrible tragedy, I shall pray for all involved.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,549421,00.html

Marines Take Risks With Deadly Trust-Building Game
    Friday, September 11, 2009

Print ShareThis
    AP

Undated photo of Lance Cpl. Patrick Malone.
    RALEIGH, N.C. — Lance Cpl. Patrick Malone was relaxing on his bunk at an Iraqi combat base when a direct superior interrupted his late-night movie.

It was time for a game Marines sometimes play to build confidence in colleagues: Point a gun at a comrade and ask, "Do you trust me?"

Cpl. Mathew Nelson raised his weapon — and the 9 mm pistol went off, striking Malone in the head. The higher-ranking Marine rushed to the wounded man's side and tried to perform CPR, but Malone was mortally wounded.

The game, which has cropped up in barracks across Iraq and Afghanistan, is supposed to make a serviceman feel comfortable enough with a comrade that he would stare into the other Marine's gun barrel. But it violates the military's basic weapon-safety rules.

"I can't believe the Marines, these professional soldiers, are playing these games," said Damian Malone, father of the slain 21-year-old.

The younger Malone "was willing to put his life on the line every day, and when he came back to his unit he wasn't supposed to have to worry about his safety."

On Thursday, Nelson pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter and seven counts of reckless endangerment for the shooting at Combat Outpost Viking in Anbar province just before midnight on March 9.

Nelson, 25, of Dearborn Heights, Mich., was sentenced Thursday to eight years in Camp Lejeune's brig, demoted to the lowest rank in the Marines and given a bad-conduct discharge.

"From the beginning, my client has been eaten up with remorse," said Vaughan Taylor, a civilian lawyer who represented Nelson.

Taylor said the two Marines had finished the trust game, and Nelson turned away. His subordinate, from Ocala, Fla., called out to tell him he was going to attend to the unit's vehicles outside.

The corporal turned back, pulling the trigger on the weapon he didn't know was loaded, Taylor said.

The game typically begins when one service member partially inserts a bullet magazine into the handle of a pistol and pretends to pull back the gun's slide to make it appear that the weapon is ready to fire.

He then points the weapon at a fellow service member before either pulling the trigger or lowering the gun. Typically, even if he pulls the trigger the weapon will not discharge because a bullet is not in the chamber.

"When you give high-powered weapons to young men, once in a while bad things are going to happen," said Gary Solis, a retired Marine lieutenant colonel and attorney who teaches on the law of armed conflict at West Point and Georgetown.

"You have young men, bored, killing time with a gun. That's not a good mix," Solis said. "I don't think the Marines have any corner on this. I think it happens in the civilian community as well."

The Marine Corps Times reported this week that the game had similar deadly end in 2007, when a Kentucky Army National Guardsman shot and killed a fellow soldier.

The guardsman who fired the fatal shot later said he learned to play from other members of his unit while deployed to Iraq in 2006.

Damian Malone believes his son's unit hid the game from their superiors and claimed they were building trust within the team. But the practice amounts to a form of hazing that should be wiped out of the military, he said.

Patrick Malone joined the Marines in 2007 after a year at the University of South Florida and another year at a community college closer to home. He went to Iraq in October 2008 as an anti-tank missileman.

"I guess there's a little closure on this because you meet who this guy was and you see what happened," Damian Malone said after attending the court-martial with his wife and other family members. "Now we want to expose this game, wherever it is."

Default Re: Always follow the 4 rules

Grrr... this sickens me.. to the bone.

The families are in my prayers
    This Space For Rent

Born in Dearborn Heights and my son is getting ready to go through the Crucible next week at Parris Island, this kinda hits close to home.

If God didn't intend us to have guns why would he have given us a trigger finger?

(Monroe County)

Some people are just stupid fucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Westmoreland County)

Reading this made me ill.

Very disturbing

(York County)

There is "No Excuse" for this "STUPIDITY", as far as remorse of the
    offender, what else would you expect. Involuntary Manslaughter to
    me does not fit the "Crime". 8 years in the Brig and demotion, and a
    BCD. The victims family, what do they get, memory of a lost son. Sorry,
    I have no pity for the offender. The Corps probably came down on the
    COC (Chain of Command) with a very large hammer. I believe that the
    "Game " is history.
    FUNDAMENTALS

"All that is needed for Evil to Prevail is for Good Men to
    do Nothing"

Quote Originally Posted by FUNDAMENTALS View Post
    There is "No Excuse" for this "STUPIDITY", as far as remorse of the
    offender, what else would you expect. Involuntary Manslaughter to
    me does not fit the "Crime". 8 years in the Brig and demotion, and a
    BCD. The victims family, what do they get, memory of a lost son. Sorry,
    I have no pity for the offender. The Corps probably came down on the
    COC (Chain of Command) with a very large hammer. I believe that the
    "Game " is history.
    Agreed. From day 1 in recruit training these 4 rules were drilled into us:
    2. SAFETY RULES
    a. These safety rules apply to all weapons at all times, and must never be violated.

-RULE #1 Treat every weapon as if it were loaded.
    -RULE #2 never point a weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot.
    -RULE #3 Keep finger straight and off the trigger until you are ready to fire.
    -RULE #4 Keep weapon on safe until you intend to fire.
    http://www.lejeune.usmc.mil/2dfssg/med/files/110.htm

The rules are posted everywhere, in the barracks, the armory, upon entering the firing range, in the target pits. We even sit through hours of classroom instruction on each weapon we'll ever be using, along with countless familiarization scenarios with our weapons. There's absolutely no possible way the marine can say he wasn't aware of his responsibility while handling any type of firearm. He most definitely pulled the trigger VOLUNTARILY.
    Last edited by SSgtLP; September 13th, 2009 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Link to Marine Corps weapons fundamentals
    After us, the deluge