Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Pistol Grip on a shotgun...

In a debate with someone... Do you have to be 21 to purchase a shotgun with a pistol grip and/or possess a shotgun with a pistol grip?

Edit: Does it matter if the shotgun is PURCHASED with a pistol grip, or if you ADD a pistol grip after purchase?

e.g. Mossberg Cruiser.. 870 with Pistol Grip Forearm v. Pistol Grip stock...
    Last edited by cmanzi; September 11th, 2009 at 02:12 AM.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Pistol Grip on a shotgun...

...what..?

no.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.

for future reference, in a debate put the burden of proof on the confidant opposition

(Philadelphia County)

From experience; no. I owned a pistol gripped shotgun at 19.
    Just because 'perfect' is impossible does not mean we should settle for 'broken'.

Quote Originally Posted by cmanzi View Post
    In a debate with someone... Do you have to be 21 to purchase a shotgun with a pistol grip and/or possess a shotgun with a pistol grip?

Edit: Does it matter if the shotgun is PURCHASED with a pistol grip, or if you ADD a pistol grip after purchase?

Having a pistol grip means nothing; lacking a buttstock is important. My current understanding is that a shotgun without a buttstock can't be sold directly to a resident of another state, and can't be sold by an FFL to anyone under age 21. But someone age 18 or over can own one, by making his own or via gift from a qualified family member.

Without checking (just from memory here), I believe this comes from the Federal rules that apply to "all firearms other than rifles or shotguns", because without a buttstock, it's not considered a "shotgun" within the meaning of the exception.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Having a pistol grip means nothing; lacking a buttstock is important. My current understanding is that a shotgun without a buttstock can't be sold directly to a resident of another state, and can't be sold by an FFL to anyone under age 21. But someone age 18 or over can own one, by making his own or via gift from a qualified family member.

Without checking (just from memory here), I believe this comes from the Federal rules that apply to "all firearms other than rifles or shotguns", because without a buttstock, it's not considered a "shotgun" within the meaning of the exception.

TITLE 18 USC, CHAPTER 44, § 921. Definitions

(5) The term “shotgun” means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of an explosive to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shot or a single projectile for each single pull of the trigger.

TITLE 18 USC, CHAPTER 44, § 922. Unlawful acts

(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver—
    (1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age;

Your assessment seems to be in tune with § 922 (B)(1), if you accept that the definition of shotguns in § 921 excludes pistol gripped shotguns for not being designed or made to be fired from the shoulder.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by cmanzi View Post

The above info on buying from an FFL aside, I don't see anything to prevent one from putting a pistol grip on a shotgun originally purchased with a stock, but I Am Not A Lawyer and I did not do an exhaustive search of the relevant laws.

(Allegheny County)

The definition of a handgun under Title 18:

"The term “handgun” means—
    (A) a firearm which has a short stock and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand; and
    (B) any combination of parts from which a firearm described in subparagraph (A) can be assembled. "

By retrofitting a pistol grip on a shotgun, how many could easily fire it one handed? Technically, it may be possible which is likely how the classification is loosely being changed by making this modification. It seems that this is how the Commonwealth is trying to force FFLs to do the form for sales of modified shotguns. It's probably going to take a legal challenge to straighten this out once and for all.
    "Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."
    -Gen. Douglas MacArthur

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post

Someone under who is between 18 and 21 can purchase a pistol grip shotgun in a face to face private transaction with another PA resident though, correct?

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post
    Someone under who is between 18 and 21 can purchase a pistol grip shotgun in a face to face private transaction with another PA resident though, correct?
    Correct.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast