Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Schuylkill County)

Default When the bad guy says no

Thus video doesn't say what to do either.

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/cs/Sat...A/Page/GA_PDTV

So where do you go when you draw a gun in a non-deadly force scenario? Or I guess more appropriately, what would you do besides that?

(Chester County)

Default Re: When the bad guy says no

Quote Originally Posted by DonSmithnotTMD View Post
    Thus video doesn't say what to do either.

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/cs/Sat...A/Page/GA_PDTV

So where do you go when you draw a gun in a non-deadly force scenario?
    Or I guess more appropriately, what would you do besides that?
    Jail? Just a guess, but I'm inclined to think so.

Do you mean, what would you do in that specific scenario after the guy drops the blade?

(Philadelphia County)

I saw a video a while ago, and I can't find it now. I think it was from Ohio, and was a warehouse security video. The audio was the 911 call.

I think the owner had gone to check out an alarm and found a BG inside the warehouse. He has the BG at gunpoint and is on the phone with the cops. Meanwhile the BG gets up and the owner shouts at him to get back on the ground, which he does. This goes on for a while with the BG getting increasingly antsy and the 911 operator meanwhile berating the guy for shouting and asking why he's holding the BG at gunpoint.

Eventually, the BG decides to call the bluff. He gets up and moves around a bit, eventually he figures the owner's not going to shoot and he escapes.

If the BG no longer presents an immediate threat of death or serious physical injury, you no longer have the right to use deadly force. If he waitws for the cops, great. If he runs away without presenting a direct threat, let him go. LEOs have a duty to pursue; the rest of us don't and doing so can get us in a heap of trouble.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by donm View Post
    If he runs away without presenting a direct threat, let him go..
    This. ^^^^

(Philadelphia County)

The way the law treats you if you're a victim is just awful... its like its your fault, you're such a dumbass for getting victimized, you should thank the fucking burgler for showing you firsthand how somebody could break into your property and steal you things, or attack you, or worse...

My father told me stories about back in the day where folks would shoot burglers on the porch, drag them inside and call the cops to remove the body. When someone is caught in the act, IMHO, that should be reason enough to defend yourself from ANY harm, be it physical or financial.
    Just because 'perfect' is impossible does not mean we should settle for 'broken'.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by donm View Post
    If the BG no longer presents an immediate threat of death or serious physical injury, you no longer have the right to use deadly force. If he waitws for the cops, great. If he runs away without presenting a direct threat, let him go. LEOs have a duty to pursue; the rest of us don't and doing so can get us in a heap of trouble.
    This is my take on it as well.

(York County)

my phone has a pretty good camera in it. If I get the bad guy laying on the ground I take a picture and then call the cops (if I haven't done so already). If he figures out that i'm not going to shoot him and leaves then at least I've got a good picture of what he looks like that the police can use.

What about a regular old fight...is a fist a deadly weapon if you can't get away, if you run and he catches up with you? (Yes). What about the fact that even though his hands might not kill you, or he may not be willing to strangle or beat you to death because you're in public, he may be able to get your weapon away from you...

My take on the more general scenario is that if he continues to approach you even after you have displayed a weapon he thinks that he can still win either because he thinks you won't shoot and he can overpower you or because he has a weapon that you have not yet seen. Hopefully for you, the latter is the case, other wise your legal troubles just got 1000 x worse...but its better than being dead.
    How pissed are you gonna be if you die before the Zombie Apocalypse comes? - - IANAL

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    Jail? Just a guess, but I'm inclined to think so.

Do you mean, what would you do in that specific scenario after the guy drops the blade?
    No just generally. I guess I'm thinking about other options before you get to that point. Kind of a discussion about that anyway.