Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Question Firefox FUBAR???

Greetings once again PAFOA'ers,

For the longest time I was using Mozilla Firefox web browser and life was good.

Then slowly over the last 2-3 months it had been acting like poop. I uninstalled and re-installed. I tried uninstalling programs that may have been messing with stuff. It was getting steadily slower, until it was taking longer than dial up to load pages.

I had to go back to using MS IE. I really don't want to be doing that.

Anybody else use Firefox?? Are you having any issues with it? I been googling this and reading various articles and forums to no avail.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke

It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything. -Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

“One man with a gun can control 100 without one. ” -Vladamir Lenin, Founder Communist Party USSR ... I hate to quote a commie, but when they ban your gun, you'll know who gave them the idea.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Firefox FUBAR???

Which version are you using? Try cleaning temporary files out.

How to find your profile
    http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/edit#profile

Also, are you using extensions? Plugins?
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(Philadelphia County)

I use FireFox and its glorious.

I dont know what could be causing your problems, you might have some nasty bugs messing with your windows core thingie.

For gods sake man! Don't use Internet Explorer!

Nuke your harddrive and do a fresh-reinstall.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Lancaster County)

Copied the following from version window

"Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.4) Gecko/20070515 Firefox/2.0.0.4" which looks like it's the curent version, I just installed that a couple weeks back hoping it'd fix the problem.

I use a program CCleaner to empty cookies and MRU's, and I haven't added any plug-ins unless they got loaded by some web page...
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke

It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything. -Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

“One man with a gun can control 100 without one. ” -Vladamir Lenin, Founder Communist Party USSR ... I hate to quote a commie, but when they ban your gun, you'll know who gave them the idea.

(Westmoreland County)

This is the way on Firefox on linux. I don't have a windows computer handy to check it but it should be the same.

Do this to clean cached information, etc.

Edit > Preferences > 'Privacy' tab > 'Private Data' section. > Select 'Settings'

Select the check boxes of what you'd like to clear out. Whatever you choose, make sure cache is one of them. Select 'Ok' and then 'clear now'

From then on, you can clear this information by pressing control + shift + delete (or Help > Clear Private Data

restart the browser and see how it is. If it's no better, we can try more stuff ^_^
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(Centre County)

We use Firefox on our computers at work and have had no problems at all. I have it on my laptop and have never had a problem no matter where I was (last week, Rapid City, SD and Helena, MT, hooked up through internet in hotels).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheHighChild View Post
    This is the way on Firefox on linux. I don't have a windows computer handy to check it but it should be the same.

Do this to clean cached information, etc.

Edit > Preferences > 'Privacy' tab > 'Private Data' section. > Select 'Settings'

Select the check boxes of what you'd like to clear out. Whatever you choose, make sure cache is one of them. Select 'Ok' and then 'clear now'

From then on, you can clear this information by pressing control + shift + delete (or Help > Clear Private Data

restart the browser and see how it is. If it's no better, we can try more stuff ^_^
    Ok, tried that and also been examining background processes running to see if anything strange or unnecessary is there. Slight improvement after the clear priv data. Something's still not kosher here. Have to investigate further.

(York County)

Been using Mozilla Firefox for a few years now. It's a great browser and the extensions are awesome!

(Lancaster County)

All right, I done everything but change the spark plugs in this dang thing.....

What I did, and apparently others have some similar but not exactly the same problems.....some of these are happening to quite a few users.

Got some ideas on fixes at http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_hangs That was by far the best info on what could be wrong I had come across.

I ran Firefox on some sites it was freezing on.
    I ctrl+alt+del to see what processes were running then, for possible suspects
    I ran services by going start->run->services.msc.

I switched off any service that couldn't explain itself or just looked funny
    Then Firefox was doing ok, but I killed Outlook Express
    Then switched some things back to manual from disable (in services.msc) to revive OE
    Then Firefox wasn't as good, but way better than had been

Then I defragged the C drive
    Also, turned off some crap under start->run->msconfig

Overall I'd say Firefox is up to 90% from previous state of almost non-functional

(Montgomery County)

Since I have gone to Firefox I have had lots of problems logging on to the forums I belong to. I know it is wrong but I use the same user name and password for all the forums. Some I have not been able to log in to and others I have to log in every other day. If I want to post something I have to close Firefox and open IE to make the post.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast