Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turtle Wax ICE

Default Turtle Wax ICE

recently i washed and waxed my car with turtle wax ICE.... repels water magnificantly; works FANTASTIC on windows too.....

so why am i posting this here? because it also works great on the slides of my pistols (both my Px4 and 9000s have polymer grips). although my IWB holster has a sweat gaurd on it, and i know my gun isnt getting persperation on it, i still worry a bit if it rains or something. so i waxon waxoff and it gives it a tiny bit of a shine (keep in mind both my guns are black; i imagine chrome/steel finishs would shiny better) and great water repellant properties now. for the hellofit i did the mags too in case i eject one onto wet grass.

overprotective? yeah i probably am, but i as much as i spent i like to make as much sure of my stuff as i can heh. just thought id pass this along to anyone that might find themselves shooting in the rain

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: Turtle Wax ICE

Personally, I don't like the ICE, oh it works well enough but it lasts for nothing! I used it on my jeep fenders and well, we all know they are plastic. It shined them up like new, but after sitting out in the sun for about an hour it didn't look like I did anything to them. The next time I washed it I used Armor all and the fender flares looked great for at least a week.
    I liked the idea of the ICE because you could use it on just about any surface, but Armor all looks like crap on painted surfaces and you have to be very careful using Armor all after waxing the paint. With the ICE they claimed that you could do it all! Well, you can! Just won't last!

Back to being careful!

Quote Originally Posted by Searcher67 View Post
    Personally, I don't like the ICE, oh it works well enough but it lasts for nothing! I used it on my jeep fenders and well, we all know they are plastic. It shined them up like new, but after sitting out in the sun for about an hour it didn't look like I did anything to them. The next time I washed it I used Armor all and the fender flares looked great for at least a week.
    I liked the idea of the ICE because you could use it on just about any surface, but Armor all looks like crap on painted surfaces and you have to be very careful using Armor all after waxing the paint. With the ICE they claimed that you could do it all! Well, you can! Just won't last!

Back to being careful!
    its still goin strong on the body and glass thus for awhile on my car. not the slightest hint of wear. on plastic? meh i wouldnt expect much unless its specificly for plastic.

back on topic works great on my pistols.

(Philadelphia County)

Seems an odd thing to do.

Does it make the surface more slippery?

Regarding Turtle Wax Ice on your car: use a real wax.

(Lebanon County)

When it was first advertised they used a Jeep in the commercial, showing how well it does on the plastic. The point they were trying to make was how it worked very well on plastic car panels! Oh yeah, its lookd great when first applied. I don't use it on my paint, the main reason I bought it was that it didn't flaw the was finish on my cars if you accidentally got it on the paint like Armor all does.

I only use Mothers products on my Jeep. Its an 02 and I bet you'd think it just got a showcar paint job! Hell, my wife thinks I love that Jeep more than her!

Well, it doesn't complain about the A/C or the stereo being too loud!

(Allegheny County)

I wax the outside of my carry and hunting guns. It is the best rust prevention I have found. I only do it every couple of months and it works great. I use over priced gun wax but I'm sure any paste wax will do.

(Allegheny County)

(Allegheny County)

If you are holding the slide of your carry gun and try to shoot it, you will have problems, with or without wax.

(Philadelphia County)

I also would advise against any waxes in a leather holster unless it's specifically designed for leather use. I understand you're putting it on the gun (which is - as I said - odd) but it'll rub off onto the leather.

I wouldn't use any type of leather conditioner on my holsters for two reasons: loss of retention and softening of the leather, leading to degeneration of the molded shape.

If you're using a plastic/nylon holster, disregard my comment.

(Philadelphia County)

I was having issues with a bit of rust on my trade-in Sig P6 that I carry IWB.
    I am a sweaty monster and after a hot summer day (they have all seemed to pass at this point ) I noticed some of the wear marks on the slide were a bit rusty.
    It would easily wipe off with some CLP, but the next hot day of carrying it would reappear.
    After reading some suggestions, I bought Johnson's Paste Wax, and it gives the pistol a nice rust protecting "shell".
    It isn't the least bit slippery, but almost tacky of sorts, and works for about 2-3 weeks before needing to be reapplied.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast