Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Adams County)

Default reciprocal states

My wife just got her carry permit today and recieved a paper that stated the the ONLY states that the permit is valid in is Pa, Ky, Wyoming, Michigan, Georgia, N.Carolina and Florida. and that non-recipricol but do recognize are Alaska, Idaho, Indiana, Montana, Oklahoma and Tennessee. According to this web site Virginia is a reciprocal state but the sheriffs department makes no mention of Va. Any insight on this?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: reciprocal states

Not sure about the rest, but I know for a FACT the Tennessee IS a recicp state. So i'm not sure why it says non recip on yours.
    The 2nd amendment is the RESET BUTTON on the constitution.
    Faith, Fun, and Firearms.
    Grace Life Church member

(Jefferson County)

They just have an outdated list of reciprocal states. Clearfield Co also posts an outdated list on their permit office wall.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by cznut View Post
    My wife just got her carry permit today and recieved a paper that stated the the ONLY states that the permit is valid in is Pa, Ky, Wyoming, Michigan, Georgia, N.Carolina and Florida. and that non-recipricol but do recognize are Alaska, Idaho, Indiana, Montana, Oklahoma and Tennessee. According to this web site Virginia is a reciprocal state but the sheriffs department makes no mention of Va. Any insight on this?
    Virginia's was the most recent agreement signed, a few months ago, so the list your sheriff sent may not have been updated to reflect this. All you want to know is right here, http://www.pafoa.org/law/ Dan , the PAFOA President, is real good at keeping it current and accurate, in addition your can check the PA Attorney Generals site here: http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/crime.aspx?id=184

Hope this helps,
    Bill

Handgunlaw.us is up to date. Remember some states accept Pa ltcf, but not likewise. Don't forget it is up to you to check with each state to verify legitimacy and local laws.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Luzerne County)

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Handgunlaw.us is up to date. Remember some states accept Pa ltcf, but not likewise. Don't forget it is up to you to check with each state to verify legitimacy and local laws.
    You are correct and so I called the Virginia state police and asked if my Pa permit was accepted by them. They put me on hold then took my phone number down and called me back 10 minutes later. The state trooper said Virginia ONLY recognizes North Carolina at this time. I pointed out the website info on the Va state police site and he simply restated what he said as if I had not heard him. So what gives?

I visit family in Va alot and don't want to be a temporary guest of the state because of a misunderstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by cznut View Post
    You are correct and so I called the Virginia state police and asked if my Pa permit was accepted by them. They put me on hold then took my phone number down and called me back 10 minutes later. The state trooper said Virginia ONLY recognizes North Carolina at this time. I pointed out the website info on the Va state police site and he simply restated what he said as if I had not heard him. So what gives?

I visit family in Va alot and don't want to be a temporary guest of the state because of a misunderstanding.

As far as I know we have reciprocity with VA.
    I would not take the advice of many police in any state since they are notoriously uninformed either by design or desire.

Our AG says we have reciprocity. I would always make my first contact with the reciprocal states AG first and go from there.

As you said Va’s own PSP website acknowledges reciprocity. So previous statement proven.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Luzerne County)

Agreed, asking the State Police is not going to guarantee a correct answer. It's actually inviting an incorrect one.
    In PA, the authority on which states permits are recognized is the Attorney General.
    Not sure if it is the AG in VA or not but the agency that makes the determination is who you want to ask. NOT THE POLICE.

(Philadelphia County)

Here is the reply from the Maine State Police I got about reciprocity.

Mr. Brown,

Once the report is presented to the legislature it will become a public document. I expect it will be of significant length. I am not sure what the legislature will do with it as far as public access is concerned.

Sincerely,

Col. Fleming

Colonel Patrick J. Fleming
    Maine State Police
    #42 State House Station
    Augusta, Me. 04333
    207 - 624 - 7200

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent: Monday, January 14, 2008 11:07 AM
    To: Fleming, Patrick J
    Subject: RE: Concealed Weapons Permit Reciprocity with Maine

Sir:

Thank you for the timely reply and the excellent customer service.

Will that report be available for public viewing?

I am quite confident that you will see that my home state of Pennsylvania has a very similar process to obtaining a permit as your state does.

Regards,

Gregory R. Brown

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Fleming, Patrick J [mailto:Patrick.J.Fleming@maine.gov]
    Sent: Monday, January 14, 2008 11:04 AM
    To: Gregory R. Brown
    Subject: RE: Concealed Weapons Permit Reciprocity with Maine

Mr. Brown,

The State Police is currently undergoing a comprehensive study of all States concealed firearms statutes to determine if there are any that will meet the standards set for reciprocity. The report will be presented to the legislature in the next few months and then the appropriate action will be taken.

Feel free to contact me if you have further questions.

Sincerely,

Colonel Patrick Fleming

Colonel Patrick J. Fleming

Maine State Police

#42 State House Station

Augusta, Me. 04333

207 - 624 - 7200

Sent: Sunday, January 13, 2008 10:57 PM
    To: Fleming, Patrick J
    Subject: Concealed Weapons Permit Reciprocity with Maine

Dear Sir:

In mid 2007 the Maine legislature passed into law a provision allowing for the appropriate Maine authority to negotiate reciprocity agreements for concealed weapons permit holders with other states in the US. Does your office have any negotiations in process? I am specifically interested in agreements with either Florida to include Florida Non Resident permit holders or any pending agreement with my home state of Pennsylvania. Currently I possess a Maine Non Resident permit but am anxiously looking forward to Maine moving forward and negotiating reciprocity with other states. At your leisure, could you please give me an update as to where Maine is with the potential of reciprocity with other states respectively?

Regards,

Gregory R. Brown

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast