Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: A couple AK's

(Lancaster County)

Default A couple AK's

Here's two AK's--my Polish Tantal and Yugo M70B1. I've been working so much lately they haven't been getting out much so I thought I'd show 'em off.

aks.jpg

egtantal.jpg
    I've gone through a few different setup's on the Tantal and finally decided to just keep it simple. The rails, collapsable stocks, lasers and lights just aren't for me. I did keep the ATI Strikeforce ergo pistol grip because it's so very comfortable, and I didn't care for shooting it with the wire-folding stock--so I swapped it out for an East German surplus buttstock. It ended up matching the top handguard perfectly, but the bakelite lower handguard still doesn't match. There's something I like about the look though.

m70b1.jpg
    This Yugo M70B1 is built like a tank. I picked it up a month or so ago and it has become my favorite piece. It has the original wood stocks, which were pretty beat up looking, so I refinished them, stained them to a darker red/brown color and finished it up with a really smooth rub-on polycoat. I didn't realize it when I got it, but it turns out it has an original barrel that is still in really good shape. That's not something you see every day with a Yugo so I decided to keep it as original as possible while still getting the wood feeling and looking nice.

If anybody out there is thinking about refinishing their AK stocks I highly recommend the Minwax Rub-on Polycoat. I've tried a few different types before that stuff and always ended up with streaks or bubbles in the finish. This stuff took a few coats to get to a real nice glossy finish but was well worth it. It looks like a professional finish and it's even held up to the heat of the handguards after a long trip to the range.

Anyway, have a peek, I don't show off much but I figured somebody ought to have a look at 'em--even if the Tantal is a bit of a mutt.

(Chester County)

Default Re: A couple AK's

Guns look good!

I just did all the wood on my 2 WASRs last weekend. I sanded at 150, 220, and 320 and super fine scotch brite. Did 3 coats and sanded at 220 between coats 1-2 and superfine scotch brite between 2-3 and then let it sit for 48 hours and it looks perfect. I used Min wax Polyurethane clear coat.

(Allegheny County)

Very nice. Pictures of AKs are always good. Doesn't matter if their mutts or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Montgomery County)

Nice......

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mak47 View Post
    Here's two AK's--my Polish Tantal and Yugo M70B1. I've been working so much lately they haven't been getting out much so I thought I'd show 'em off.

aks.jpg

egtantal.jpg
    I've gone through a few different setup's on the Tantal and finally decided to just keep it simple. The rails, collapsable stocks, lasers and lights just aren't for me. I did keep the ATI Strikeforce ergo pistol grip because it's so very comfortable, and I didn't care for shooting it with the wire-folding stock--so I swapped it out for an East German surplus buttstock. It ended up matching the top handguard perfectly, but the bakelite lower handguard still doesn't match. There's something I like about the look though.

m70b1.jpg
    This Yugo M70B1 is built like a tank. I picked it up a month or so ago and it has become my favorite piece. It has the original wood stocks, which were pretty beat up looking, so I refinished them, stained them to a darker red/brown color and finished it up with a really smooth rub-on polycoat. I didn't realize it when I got it, but it turns out it has an original barrel that is still in really good shape. That's not something you see every day with a Yugo so I decided to keep it as original as possible while still getting the wood feeling and looking nice.

If anybody out there is thinking about refinishing their AK stocks I highly recommend the Minwax Rub-on Polycoat. I've tried a few different types before that stuff and always ended up with streaks or bubbles in the finish. This stuff took a few coats to get to a real nice glossy finish but was well worth it. It looks like a professional finish and it's even held up to the heat of the handguards after a long trip to the range.

Anyway, have a peek, I don't show off much but I figured somebody ought to have a look at 'em--even if the Tantal is a bit of a mutt.

the AK on the right is phat
    "I Don't Miss"