Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Delaware...

(Chester County)

Default Delaware...

What is the absolute easiest way to be able to carry in DE? I know about the FL permit path, but that sounds like a real pain in the ass, although I did just request an application just in case that's my only option.

I live too close to DE and spend way too much time over there to not be able to carry there.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Delaware...

Quote Originally Posted by Kypt View Post
    What is the absolute easiest way to be able to carry in DE? I know about the FL permit path, but that sounds like a real pain in the ass, although I did just request an application just in case that's my only option.
    FLA is your easiest option. DE does not even have a non-resident CCW and they don't have PA reciprocity, and if you're not LEO, then by definition you have to find a non-resident CCW they honor. FLA is by far the most straightforward to get.

Easiest path (if you want to minimize the hassle) is to go for one of those "do it all in one day" events that the various local ranges hold.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    FLA is your easiest option. DE does not even have a non-resident CCW and they don't have PA reciprocity, and if you're not LEO, then by definition you have to find a non-resident CCW they honor. FLA is by far the most straightforward to get.

Easiest path (if you want to minimize the hassle) is to go for one of those "do it all in one day" events that the various local ranges hold.
    Utah's Non-Res CCW is also honored by Delaware, and cheaper than Florida's! ($59 vs $117). It requires fingerprints and a Utah-certified CCW class. Their site has a .pdf download listing certified trainers in other states: http://bci.utah.gov/CFP/CFInstructors.html

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by rmarkob View Post
    Utah-certified CCW class.
    Up until recently, that was the sticking point. Looking at your list, it seems easier now.

Of course if the Utah class is $50 or so more than the FLA class, it becomes a wash.

Personally, the $50 fee difference, when spread out over 5 years, is insignificant to me. I would just go with whatever class was easiest to get.
    Last edited by dgg9; June 25th, 2007 at 04:41 PM.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    Up until recently, that was the sticking point. Looking at your list, it seems easier now.

Of course if the Utah class is $50 or so more than the FLA class, it becomes a wash.

Personally, the $50 fee difference, when spread out over 5 years, is insignificant to me. I would just go with whatever class was easiest to get.
    The class cost me $50, so I'm at $109. I think my DD-214 would have sufficed for FLA (haven't checked all the requirements), so that would have been only $8 more for me.

But Utah's is recognized by 2 additional states that don't recognize Florida's: Washington and Minnesota. Florida's is recognized by 2 additional states where Utah's is not: Kansas and W. Virginia, BUT... only if you're a Florida resident.

Of those four states, W. Virginia would have been the most useful for me due to its proximity to PA. Guess we'll have to hope for PA-WV reciprocity, since they don't honor non-res CCWs in WV.

(Delaware County)

I have a fl ccw, wasnt a big deal, just follow the directions to the letter. no abrevations on the fingerprint form except those that they tell you to use, Pennsylvania State Police abreviated there name PSP and it cost me a month. Follow the directions send them money and wait, wait some more, then wait again untill it finally shows up.