Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Question What's the difference between a Sig P225 and a P6

I was reading this wikipedia article about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIG_P220#P225.2FP6

In the article, the Sig P225 and the P6 were listed as the same thing. But what is the difference between a Sig P225 and a P6? I'm not sure if this is correct, but in my understanding, a P6 is a used Sig P225 that was used by the German Police. Is my understanding correct? Or did I misunderstand something? Thanks in advance.

Hokkmike Guest

Default Re: What's the difference between a Sig P225 and a P6

A P-6 is the P-225 model but not specifically designated as such. I had a P-6 and attempted to sell it at Dugan's Gun Shop outside Hughesville, PA. The owner, although locating the P-225 in his reference book, would NOT equate the P-6 as being the same and declined the trade.

My P-6, as did many, had infrequent FTF and FTE problems. That is why it is gone.

Given a choice I would prefer to buy/use a pistol with the P-225 designation.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    A P-6 is the P-225 model but not specifically designated as such. I had a P-6 and attempted to sell it at Dugan's Gun Shop outside Hughesville, PA. The owner, although locating the P-225 in his reference book, would NOT equate the P-6 as being the same and declined the trade.

My P-6, as did many, had infrequent FTF and FTE problems. That is why it is gone.

Given a choice I would prefer to buy/use a pistol with the P-225 designation.
    But is the P6 exactly the same, part for part, as the P225? If so, why does the same gun have multiple designations?

Hokkmike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by etep513 View Post
    But is the P6 exactly the same, part for part, as the P225? If so, why does the same gun have multiple designations?
    Beats me to be sure. I think the P-6's had some modifications to suit the requirements of the German (and Swiss?) police. I think the bob-tailed hammer was one.

(Greene County)

OP, your understanding is mostly correct. The inner workings of the P6 are exactly the same as the P225. The only difference is the notched hammer. W. German police had a thin plastic tie with a serial number tag that wrapped around the pistol behind the trigger and into that notch that would break if the trigger was pulled. This kept track of whether or not the pistol was fired in the line of duty.

Quote Originally Posted by etep513 View Post
    The P6 designation really is just accidental. Sig was competing for bids against the Walther P5 and the H&K P7, so I guess the P6 designation just fit into the scheme of things.

As for the FTF and FTE problems...I've not had a single one in the thousand or so rounds that I've fired that couldn't be attributed to user error (limp wristing in my case.) I have heard that the angle of the feed ramp could cause issues when feeding JHP, but I haven't experienced it myself. My FTF (both of them) were with FMJ ammo.

Anyway, hope my rambling helps answer your question a bit.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin. - Samuel Adams

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by Vig View Post
    OP, your understanding is mostly correct. The inner workings of the P6 are exactly the same as the P225. The only difference is the notched hammer. W. German police had a thin plastic tie with a serial number tag that wrapped around the pistol behind the trigger and into that notch that would break if the trigger was pulled. This kept track of whether or not the pistol was fired in the line of duty.

The P6 designation really is just accidental. Sig was competing for bids against the Walther P5 and the H&K P7, so I guess the P6 designation just fit into the scheme of things.

As for the FTF and FTE problems...I've not had a single one in the thousand or so rounds that I've fired that couldn't be attributed to user error (limp wristing in my case.) I have heard that the angle of the feed ramp could cause issues when feeding JHP, but I haven't experienced it myself. My FTF (both of them) were with FMJ ammo.

You are quite right in your rambling i have a P6 and a P225 and none of them had, had any problems what so ever, with FTF, anf FTE they can be attributted to user era and bad mags which i had a few.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Vig View Post

Thanks, that's what I needed to know

(Philadelphia County)

Seems to me that the main difference between the two guns is about $150
    To the best of my knowledge the P6 also has a slightly heavier DA trigger pull. Other small differences have already been noted and for all intents and purposes they are indeed the same gun (and one of my favorite guns). The P6 German imports seem to have flooded the US market a year or two ago and were plentiful and cheap. Many of them have a lot of wear but function very well. The 225 seems to be more difficult to find which is likely the reason for the higher price tag in the used market. Also most of the 225s I've seen for sale were from private citizens and didn't have the amount of holster wear found on the German counterparts.

(Jefferson County)

And a side note, don't bother with ProMag aftermarket magazines. They will not properly feed the last round.

(Greene County)

Quote Originally Posted by photoshooter View Post
    Seems to me that the main difference between the two guns is about $150
    To the best of my knowledge the P6 also has a slightly heavier DA trigger pull. Other small differences have already been noted and for all intents and purposes they are indeed the same gun (and one of my favorite guns). The P6 German imports seem to have flooded the US market a year or two ago and were plentiful and cheap. Many of them have a lot of wear but function very well. The 225 seems to be more difficult to find which is likely the reason for the higher price tag in the used market. Also most of the 225s I've seen for sale were from private citizens and didn't have the amount of holster wear found on the German counterparts.
    Quite right on the wear. Most of it is cosmetic holster wear and the internals are near pristine, was on the ones I've handled anyway. I guess they were mostly holstered and loaded/unloaded, rarely fired.

Quote Originally Posted by levib View Post
    And a side note, don't bother with ProMag aftermarket magazines. They will not properly feed the last round.
    ProMag 225 mags are crap...seriously don't bother, not even for a range mag. Sig has started a new run of mags for the 225 and the price is starting to fall a bit. TopGun Supply has OEM mags for the cheapest I've found, $42.95. I think I payed around $45 a couple months ago, so supply must be increasing bit by bit.
    http://www.topgunsupply.com/magazines-sig-sauer_p225/
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin. - Samuel Adams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast