Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Routine Loading / Unloading Safety

Just read through Curmudgeons thread and did not want to highjack. (On a side note: DAMN!)

So here's my question.

In the military and other places where weapons are handled routinely, there is usually a "clearing pit". (Usually reinforced steel filled with sand - muzzle is pointed into the container for safety when firearm is being loaded or unloaded.)

When you load or unload your carry or home defense firearm in your own home, even if you are "Keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction" do any of you use any sort of device or practice intended to block or contain an AD/ND?

(I'm aware of one option - the "Safe Direction" products. Pricey but they apparently work.)

Thanks!

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Routine Loading / Unloading Safety

No, but it's something that is RARELY done.

If I'm going to the range, I swap at ammo THERE (SD vs. range ammo), both before and after shooting.

See above post.

The only time any of my guns get unloaded at home is for cleaning.

no, i just point it in a"safer" direction and make sure i dont make any mistakes. just don't be too overly cautious, that's when you make mistakes
    FJB

(Bucks County)

Part of the reason that the military uses clearing barrels and areas is: The military routinely use firearms. When you do something routinely, you introduce the exxagerated chance of something bad happening. It is the law of probability. The more miles you drive the liklier an accident, the more nails you drive the liklier you are going to wind up with a sore thumb, and so on.
    If you only occasionally, or as most here do, rarely, load/unload your weapon, the less chance of an ND/AD you risk. Unless, of course, you are a buffoon who disregards all safety rules. Those folks tend to 'weed' themselves out rather quickly though.

(Allegheny County)

I aim sideways at a long dresser when unloading 45 HPs. I figure if it fired down into the dresser the thin drawer bases wouldn't put up much resistance and it could go through the floor. Sideways it would have to break through the side of the dresser, the thicker sides of each drawer, the other side of the dresser, another piece of furniture with more drawers, and they're all filed with clothing to boot.

There was one stupid thing I kept doing. I always let the bullet from the chamber drop on to the desk, where it rolled off and hit the hard wood floor.

(Tioga County)

Fortunately for me I am in a single family house the floor in my gun/computer room has mother earth under it. Should I get a ND or AD I get a hole in the floor, That is it. As with others usually the only time my SD pistol gets unloaded is at the range.
    USNRET '61-'81

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by MuzzleFlash View Post
    I aim sideways at a long dresser when unloading 45 HPs. I figure if it fired down into the dresser the thin drawer bases wouldn't put up much resistance and it could go through the floor. Sideways it would have to break through the side of the dresser, the thicker sides of each drawer, the other side of the dresser, another piece of furniture with more drawers, and they're all filed with clothing to boot.

There was one stupid thing I kept doing. I always let the bullet from the chamber drop on to the desk, where it rolled off and hit the hard wood floor.
    This also has the added advantage that you can wear your favorite T-shirt (now with a bullet hole in it) and brag about surviving that encounter with the bad guy......

(Allegheny County)

Safe direction, usually down. Which means the round will go into the basement in the event of an issue.

Aside from that, a generous appropriation of attention and caution? Like if I'm clearing a firearm or unloading one my focus is on it entirely. Same way I am when I drive. I change CD's at a stop light. Don't talk on the phone... etc.

Of course it is of my opinion that a vehicle is just as dangerous if not more than a firearm. And I would certainly appreciate it if more people gave their undivided to that task as well.

Has worked so far!