Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Two incidents today

I OC'd all day. Had two incidents and both were phenomanally good.
    I went to Cabela's to get a pistol safe for the bedroom. I got one of the older guys to help me as all of the safes are locked. Why is that , by the way? They should have a sign telling you how to open them so you can inspect them, right? Anyway, he is helping me and we take one over to the counter so he can get the combination. He notices my 1911 in my Serpa on my hip. "You always carry that cocked?" I explained that the USAF taught me that is the ONLY safe way to carry one, unless you are going to use it as a paperweight. We had a great conversation about OC, rights, our new poser-in-chief's indoctrination speech to our school children. He brought that up and I agree with him. We talked about Pa's CCW permit and it's uses. I corrected him by handing him my LTCF and offering him 10 bucks to show me the word 'concealed'. He now understands, and seemed truly pleased with his new info. Hopefully we will be seeing him here.
    I left him with a web address to here and my screen name and told him I was sorry about the time he was about to lose as he becomes addicted to this site.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Two incidents today

Sounds like a good day was had. Did you get the safe you wanted?

(Monroe County)

Great way to spread the knowledge and increase a general acceptance to firearms in the possesion of citizens.

Safes in stores are kept locked to prevent a child from getting into one, shutting the doors, and being locked in.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ByAnyMeans View Post
    Great way to spread the knowledge and increase a general acceptance to firearms in the possesion of citizens.

Safes in stores are kept locked to prevent a child from getting into one, shutting the doors, and being locked in.
    This is a one gun pistol safe, for in the closet. I see your point though, on the large safes. That would truly suck for everybody involved if a kid got in one. Damn, that is scary to ponder./ Everybody would be looking for the kid in a vehicle headed away at high speed and wouldn't find the child until they had been dead for weeks, maybe longer. WOW! Scary.
    Jeeper, yes I got it. I don't recall the make but it was the one they have on sale for 99 bucks. Decent deal.
    The sales guy started with let me ask you a few questions. Do you want to open it at 3AM when you hear a noise? If so you want bio-metrics.(finger print sensor). I showed him my index finger, no fingerprint, because of a burn. I am constantly having to reprogram the computer in my truck to read a different fi9nger because the slightest cut, scuff, burn, or chemical 'peel' will change my fingerprint to the point the sensor won't recognize me. Definitely NOT something I want happening at 3AM just before the gunfight starts.

(Bucks County)

64Jeeper, I can't locate your address you sent me by PM. Can you send it again? I have the disc with the video from the Shoot ready for you. I'll get it in the mail this week.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by AxiTech View Post
    This is a one gun pistol safe, for in the closet. I see your point though, on the large safes. That would truly suck for everybody involved if a kid got in one. Damn, that is scary to ponder./ Everybody would be looking for the kid in a vehicle headed away at high speed and wouldn't find the child until they had been dead for weeks, maybe longer. WOW! Scary.
    Jeeper, yes I got it. I don't recall the make but it was the one they have on sale for 99 bucks. Decent deal.
    The sales guy started with let me ask you a few questions. Do you want to open it at 3AM when you hear a noise? If so you want bio-metrics.(finger print sensor). I showed him my index finger, no fingerprint, because of a burn. I am constantly having to reprogram the computer in my truck to read a different fi9nger because the slightest cut, scuff, burn, or chemical 'peel' will change my fingerprint to the point the sensor won't recognize me. Definitely NOT something I want happening at 3AM just before the gunfight starts.

I don't know why those small ones would be locked but it sounds like you picked up a good one. I don't have a problem with fingerprints like you but I would still prefer a combination safe as opposed to biometric. Let us know how it works out for you.

(York County)

Maybe you guys could shed some light on this for me, hypotheticly speaking, the pros and cons of the different "pistol/bedroom" type safes are as follows:

Keyed type: pros, no electical issues....ever, faster than combination type.

cons, pickable, you have to try to hide a key well enough that a BG or undesired family member cant get into your safe.

Combo type: pros, very secure
    cons, very slow

biometric: pros, very secure, very fast
    cons, relies on electricity of some kind.

So unless im missing any major points here, I cant figure out which one to get. The combo type is out because of the speed issue, I dont like the idea of having to go find a key in the middle of the night. I know finding a key doesnt have to be very hard but I'm just looking to cut down on as many variables as I can. And the bio-type scares me since it relies on batteries or some type of electricity, of which may fail in this imperfect world.

So what do you use and why? Please discuss!
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

(Bucks County)

The one I got has a 'hand' imprint on the top. In the fingertip position of each finger is a button. We'll call these one through four. You select a 'code' of three of four button pushes, actually I think it can be up to six button pushes. You lay your hand on the imprint and 'type' in your code and if correct , the door springs open. Uses 8 AA batteries, but also has a lock cylinder on top, that uses a "Coke machine' type 'barrel' key. This is for just in case you forget your code, or the batteries die. Life expecatncy of the batteries is over a year according to the manufacturer. The safe also issues a warning set of beeps if the batteries are getting low.
    I am currently in the process of opening the safe , repeatedly, to train to 'train' my finger's muscle memory the code.
    Basically, I think it has the best of all possible traits. Quick opening, code is hard to figure out, can still be opened if it goes dead. The keys are being locked in the big safe.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by AxiTech View Post
    I'm wary of the fingerprint gadgets for the same reason. I can train to open a combination fast, I can't train to make a fingerprint ID work reliably.

I am looking for a safe as well, preferably one with a key override that isn't one of use those cylindrical locks. I quit locking my bike with those after the ballpoint pen hack came out.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    I'm wary of the fingerprint gadgets for the same reason. I can train to open a combination fast, I can't train to make a fingerprint ID work reliably.

I am looking for a safe as well, preferably one with a key override that isn't one of use those cylindrical locks. I quit locking my bike with those after the ballpoint pen hack came out.
    I'm not familiar with that. Enlighten me, please. I'm curious.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast