Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Perkasie (San Diego right now), Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)

Default AP Transmits photo of mortally wounded Marine

While I believe they have the rights to do it, I just find it very disturbing that they still chose to do so. They even went against the requests of the family and Robert Gates. I have some disturbing pictures of my own but I wouldn't even make them openly available for others to see even if they were insurgents. I wish the media would just stay out of the way and let them do their jobs, they only talk about the negatives anyway.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/200...politico/26759

Thoughts?

(Venango County)

Default Re: AP Transmits photo of mortally wounded Marine

We must ask ourselves, do we really think that a soldier would want his untimely death to be made public so that he becomes an unwilling poster child against the war effort (maybe/maybe not, but until we can ask him for his opinion...); to be forever remembered as that guy that got hit and killed in that war in this photo; or to be plastered all over the enemies' walls as propaganda and a boost to morale and confidence?

ETA= I suppose the next time a reporter gets it, a soldier can pick-up the reporters camera and take stills or video. Let's plaster that all over the news media.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Somerset County)

I can't formulate proper words for my feelings right now . Nothing nice about Ap comes to mind .
    Don't blame me ; I voted for an American .

Quote Originally Posted by Tun Tavern 1775 View Post
    Thoughts?
    Yes, but in a decidedly uncharacteristic FNG19 moment, none of them are appropriate for a public venue. Suffice it to say that I invoked some particularly vulgar invectives in the direction of the AP. That's not a good idea when there are kids playing outside and the windows are open, and I'm not proud of that, but holy hell. This is a screwjob of the worst order.

The solution? Cut off the AP from all war-related matters. Pull their embeds, leave them outside the room during press conferences related to the war, make them go through the PR office at the pentagon, cut off all personnel from discussing military matters with them, etc. In short, put them in the penalty box for the foreseeable future. Freedom of the Press is a right, but it's also a responsibility.

(Allegheny County)

"Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(York County)

I think alot more Americans need to need photos of mortally wounded soldiers. They need to realize just how violent and unforgiving war can be. I think alot of them do not, and if they never join the armed forces, never will understand just how gruesome things can get during wartime...

With that said, i think this is bullshit. Strictly based on the fact that the family didnt agree to it. I think the decisions of the family trump all media and military decisions during situations like this.
    "A peaceful mind generates power"

(Luzerne County)

I'm kinda torn too...I definitely wouldn't want my kid on the news like this, and feel the family should be respected.

On the other hand, this war has been far too sterile in coverage, where you can't even show anonymous draped coffins per policy?

I guess the upside of this is that the entire country knows the name of Joshua Bernard and his sacrifice for his country. It's just a shame that it had to be through controversy like this, and that now his family has another thing to deal with in addition to their loss.

Lance Cpl. Joshua M Bernard. Never forget.

(Franklin County)

The exercising of one's rights is not always pretty.

I must support the exercise of ALL rights, even when I don't like the ones who are doing it, or support their methods, for that is exactly what I demand of others when I exercise my own rights.

After all, that's exactly what this young man gave his life for in the first place.

Perkasie (San Diego right now), Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)

What do you think the outcome would be if the AP posted pictures of a dying insurgent? I'm just tired of the media always showing the negative actions and never any of the positive. If people would hear and see about some of the positive things maybe their veiw on the wars would be a little different, but we all know thats not what this administration wants and we will see what happens in the near future. It's sad to see what happened to him but unfortunately it has happened to many others as well, but let their families deal with it on their own and don't make their suffering any worse.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    The exercising of one's rights is not always pretty.

I must support the exercise of ALL rights, even when I don't like the ones who are doing it, or support their methods, for that is exactly what I demand of others when I exercise my own rights.

After all, that's exactly what this young man gave his life for in the first place.
    I agree, however at the behest of the deceased soldiers family, and the US government, the AP should take a seat and find another shot, because unfortunately more soldiers will die in the future. I'm sure out of the 5,000 soldiers we've lost atleast one of them would agree to having the images shown.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast