Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northumberland County)

Thumbs up I finally got my Ruger SR9

i got my Ruger SR9 yesterday , so i cleaned it and lubed it all up and got it ready for the range this morning, it shot exceptional, better then i expected. I fired all shots from 10 feet and 15 feet most them inside the 6 inch circle with 11 in the bullseye, not bad for a Ruger.

problem was the magazines are hard to load up to 17 rounds even with the mag loader. no FTF shot 70 rounds of fmj 1 full clip i emptied in a few seconds .

its a little tough to disassemble, had to read the booklet and stick something in the ejector port and hold up the slide catch then i could take it apart for cleaning . I was surprised it has a match grade stainless steel barrel thats what probably helped with the accuracy.

Accuracy was very good thru the whole range session, the trigger pull was not bad at all it was a little hard to close the slide wiht the slide release button other then that i had a pleasant shoot. i am glad i bough this gun it was better then i expected! this will be my everyday carry gun replacing my PT92C and Tomcat for now.
    Last edited by TXDMERC73; September 4th, 2009 at 12:49 PM.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: I finally got my Ruger SR9

Sounds good and looks like a nice gun. How does it feel in the hand? Does it feel like anything else you haev tried.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by TXDMERC73 View Post
    i got my Ruger SR9 yesterday , so i cleaned it and lubed it all up and got it ready for the range this morning, it shot exceptional, better then i expected. I fired all shots from 10 feet and 15 feet most them inside the 6 inch circle with 11 in the bullseye, not bad for a Ruger.

problem was the magazines are hard to load up to 17 rounds even with the mag loader. no FTF shot 70 rounds of fmj 1 full clip i emptied in a few seconds .

its a little tough to disassemble, had to read the booklet and stick something in the ejector port and hold up the slide catch then i could take it apart for cleaning . I was surprised it has a match grade stainless steel barrel thats what probably helped with the accuracy.

Accuracy was very good thru the whole range session, the trigger pull was not bad at all it was a little hard to close the slide wiht the slide release button other then that i had a pleasant shoot. i am glad i bough this gun it was better then i expected! this will be my everyday carry gun replacing my PT92C and Tomcat for now.
    I'm not trying to piss in your cheerios or anything...but non-match barrels will shoot <.5" groups at those distances. The idea of "match barrels" in service pistols is little more than a marketing gimmick. There are few shooters who can shoot well enough to benefit from the difference between 2" and 4" groups at 25 yards.

I'm glad you're happy with your pistol, but praising the accuracy of a pistol based on that kind of shooting is a bit of a stretch.

Good luck with it.

You don't need 2 put anything in the ejection port to feild strip it. Just lock the slide back push the pin out and put the disconneter down and the slide will slide right off. Glad u like your sr9. I love mine. I took out my magazine safety also. Its good if u dry fire it alot.

Got this from guns and ammo review on the sr9. To disassemble, you merely remove the magazine, clear the chamber, and lock the slide to the rear with the slide lock lever. Then use your fingertip to push out and remove the takedown pin from the frame, and just pull the slide/barrel assembly forward and off.
    Last edited by Normlizer; September 4th, 2009 at 09:19 PM.

(York County)

not bad for a Ruger.
    I dont know what you mean by that. Rugers, in the hands of someone with experience and that knows how to shoot properly, are just as accurate as any other service type gun out there.

I've become quite proficient with my Ruger P95's from 25 and 50 yards. When i had my P85, the same thing was true.
    Last edited by WhiteShadow; September 5th, 2009 at 01:38 AM.
    "A peaceful mind generates power"

(Lancaster County)

1 full clip i emptied in a few seconds .
    oops......pistols dont have clips. They have magazines. Sounds like a keeper.

(Monroe County)

Why were you surprised about its accuracy "for a Ruger " to quote you?
    My P-89 were made in 1996 and it will shoot 2 ich groups at 25 yards all day long, 10 feet is nothing for a Ruger.

And why were yoiu surprised about the stainless steel match grade barrel? My P-89 has the same set up , dont believe the bs you hear about Ruger. Theyre good accurate guns.

The SR9 is a good gun , but i cant justify buying another high cap 9mm, too many classic old smiths and Colts out there with my name on them - witing to come home.

Enjoy , Nyman

Congrats and good choice. The SR9 is probably one the most overlooked and underated hi-cap 9mm out there. I love shooting it down the range.

Leave the Mags loaded for a while and the springs loosen up some.

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    oops......pistols dont have clips. They have magazines. Sounds like a keeper.
    ^^Lol^^
    Don't start

(Northumberland County)

thanks for the replies i hope i dont have any problems with it in the future i am pretty sure it will last a long time ,(Ruger doesnt give out warranties ) . so i will keep everyone updated if something does happen out of the ordinary!

(Blair County)

I finally purchased a Ruger SR 9 too. I only have 50 rounds through it, but had no problems. Dis-assembly and cleaning was very easy. I liked the feel of this gun over all other 9mms I tried (M&P, Glock, XDM and Taurus 809).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast