Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default New CCer Here, How My Mind Has Changed About +1

To start, the purpose of this thread isn't to stir up the +1 debate again. I know we're all probably sick of that. It is, however, intended to simply inform you as to how my opinion on carrying +1 has changed since waiting for my LTCF and now, while actually carrying. A sort of sharing of my experience.

In short, I've changed my stance from "+1 isn't absolutely necessary" to "+1 is absolutely necessary." Now, I've only been carrying for about 3 days. However, there have been a couple instances where I've thought about the "what ifs" and realized that my sidearm simply isn't ready to go in the split second that I might need it.

For example, while I'm out walking the dog. With the leash in one hand, how am I going to rack the slide? Granted, I could just drop the leash, but when the SHTF, I imagine some confusion would set in and it would be much easier to just draw. This is why we don't drive with two feet. Sure, we could do it, but when you need a split second response, you're all of a sudden slamming on the gas when it should be the brake.

Another example...while shopping in the back of a convenience store, I realized that if someone decided to rob the place, my first instinct would be to go for my gun. But what next? If they were unaware that I was there and I decided to rack the slide, they just might hear it. Goodbye element of surprise.

In short, I always felt that having the gun there would provide some feeling of a level of security and protection. But I've always told myself it's a false sense of security. It means nothing if I don't know how to use it. The gun simply isn't ready to go at a moments notice without +1 and I've actually felt that, almost like I'm not even carrying.

Before I was carrying, I took the side that if you're simply aware of your surroundings at all times, you'll be aware of the threat in time to rack the slide. But seriously, I'm now more aware of the fact that I'm simply not perfect. I know...it took carrying to convince me of this. But seriously, none of us is perfect and our attention is redirected from time to time and it's just possible that it's at this moment that the aggressor may chose to attack.

Anyways, just some feedback on what has been going through my head for the past few days. It certainly has been a nice experience carrying and exercising this wonderful right we have.

Edit: I'm carrying a Glock 19 so I'm referring to one in the chamber.
    Last edited by Gasman; September 3rd, 2009 at 02:25 PM.

(Carbon County)

Default Re: New CCer Here, How My Mind Has Changed About +1

do you mean condition one? You are carrying a 1911 type SA pistol?

(Philadelphia County)

Oh sorry, I'm carrying a Glock 19 so I mean one in the chamber.

(Washington County)

All good reasons to keep one in the pipe

(Jefferson County)

I wouldn't personally carry a gun for self defense that wasn't +1. With a sudden high level of stress, people tend to forget important things like rack the slide before you pull the trigger. I also don't like safeties on carry guns (except guns like 1911 that I'd carry cocked and locked), because relying on fine motor control with a ton of adrenaline pumping through your system is a bad bet to make.

I understand other points of view, but those are mine.

(Allegheny County)

good to see you are thinking through the issues.

I'm going to sound like a broken record around here, but you would benefit from some good training more than you can imagine.

The last year I made a decision to put a focus on taking formal training. The impact it has made on my life is dificult to communicate in an online forum.

Some of my thoughts on it are here:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/641...xperiance.html

like you it started by actually thinking about the issues at hand, and discussion here and elsewhere.

I would not want to need my gun, and be unable to to effectively use it.

(York County)

I couldnt agree anymore with the OP. It actually took me a few weeks of carrying without one in the chamber to get comfortable with it. After that, i thought long and hard about it and realized that in the worst case scenario, having one in the chamber is simply one less thing i have to do in a time of extreme stress.

Theres a good many tactical advantages to carrying one in the chamber too, the element of surprise (via not making a loud racking sound) is simply one of them.

Its good that your actually taking the time to think about things like this so soon in your "carrying carrer", so to speak. It never hurts to think about the worst case scenario, and prepare yourself accordingly.

Always be prepared. Get as much training as possible. Practice shooting (plinking) as much as possible.
    Last edited by WhiteShadow; September 3rd, 2009 at 02:45 PM.
    "A peaceful mind generates power"

Excellent Post! Glad to know that a sometimes "Blind man can see."

(Westmoreland County)

Congratulations on coming to your conclusions based entirely on your own experiences. I like to think that most people that carry +/-1 do so because they have thought it through as you have, and not because they drank that flavor of Kool-Aid.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    good to see you are thinking through the issues.

I'm going to sound like a broken record around here, but you would benefit from some good training more than you can imagine.

The last year I made a decision to put a focus on taking formal training. The impact it has made on my life is dificult to communicate in an online forum.

Some of my thoughts on it are here:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/641...xperiance.html

like you it started by actually thinking about the issues at hand, and discussion here and elsewhere.

I would not want to need my gun, and be unable to to effectively use it.
    Well it's an important topic so I personally don't think you can say it enough. Training is definitely something I'm planning on starting in the very near future. In fact, I was thinking of starting a new thread asking for suggestions.

And thanks to everyone else for the comments!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast