Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Question XD9 subcompact vs. GLOCK 26?

My dad is presently shopping for a subcompact 9mm carry pistol and I think he has narrowed it down to either the XD 9mm subcompact or a GLOCK 26. He's had a chance to shoot and familiarize himself with my GLOCK 26, but he hasn't had the same opportunity with the XD. (There aren't many stores in my area that seem to stock XDs, let alone the subcompact version)

He's done all of the number/spec comparisons and as far as numbers on paper are concerned, the GLOCK 26 seems to have won the number game at the moment... (it has almost 1/2" longer barrel length but only a hair bit longer overall length, it's not as tall, it weighs a bit less, etc etc).

I have been told that XD has a much better grip angle (same as a 1911) than GLOCKS and thus points more naturally, but beyond that, are there any other advantages/disadvantages vs the GLOCK 26 that aren't immediately obvious?

Has anyone here had any experience with both pistols that could comment?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: XD9 subcompact vs. GLOCK 26?

My friend has a XD sub compact 9MM. While I have not shot it yet, holding it in my hand feels like heaven.

I have handled both Glocks and XD's. Both fit the hand well. Going with numbers, barrel length is of primary importance, since it affects muzzle velocity and therefore bullet effectiveness. All other things being equal, I would go with the Glock and its extra 1/2". For a 3" barrel, the Kahr PM9 and Kel-Tec P11 are even shorter and more concealable, at the price of magazine capacity.

(Bedford County)

I own the Glock G26, and have shot the XD9 Subcompact a few times on the range. My good friend has one.

Both are very good guns. Both are very reliable, and accurate for smaller guns. The big question is which one fits your hand better? Also, do you own similar guns from the same manufacture? Someone who owns the Glock 17 would be better served with the G26 that takes the same mags, and has the same manual of arms. If that person loves the XD9, then they would be better off with the XD9 Sub.

For me...the winner is NEITHER.

If you carry your CCW inside the waistband, or on a belt holster... both sub guns "feel" like you are carrying the compact. I can carry a G19 on the belt just as easy as I can the G26. The width is the same, and the size isnt worth the change in guns to me. The G19 has more grip area for all of your fingers, and holds 5 more rounds.

The sub compacts do hide better in an ankle holster or similiar deep concealment rig...but for belt carry...I'd go with the compact.

To me, the best super small carry gun is the KAHR P9. It is smaller than either gun mentioned, and hides much easier than even the G26 with little effort.

I myself go straight from the Kahr P9 to the Glock 19 skipping the G26 for carry...it's just not that big of a difference IMHO.

(Lancaster County)

BTW, if you are inclined toward Glock, don't overlook the 34. The G34 & G35 are the competition/tactical models. I love the feel and the accuracy of these and despite their slightly larger frame, concealed carry is not much of an issue.

+1 Buckmark. If you can't afford a Kahr P9 the how about a Kahr CW9, same exact size/weight as the P9 only it has a standard barrel as opposed to a polygonal barrel in the P9, and comes with only one mag, but the price is $200 less than the P9. I paid $391 two months ago for a brand new Kahr CW9 and really love it, for another $35 I got an extra mag.
    If Guns cause Crime, then Matches cause Arson.

NRA & OFCC Member.

(Berks County)

I have never fired a Glock, but I do have an XD subcompact in .40 that I really like. The one thing it has over the Glock is redundant safeties. There is a backstrap safety like on a 1911 and a trigger safety. It would be difficult to get an AD if the pistol is not firmly in your hand.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by SSCUSTER View Post
    he one thing it has over the Glock is redundant safeties.
    Safeties? We don't need no stinken safeties!

(Bedford County)

I have never fired a Glock, but I do have an XD subcompact in .40 that I really like. The one thing it has over the Glock is redundant safeties. There is a backstrap safety like on a 1911 and a trigger safety. It would be difficult to get an AD if the pistol is not firmly in your hand.
    That is what dealers tell people that are about to buy an XD. That it has redundant safties which is a plus over the Glock.

The Glock has no grip safety because the striker is forward resting on the firing pin safety with very little spring pressure.

The XD has a grip safety becaue the striker is fully loaded to the rear and ready to fall on the live round.

Two different designs. Both good. But that XD grip safety is not needed on a Glock, and is no safer of a design.

Funny, I never fired an XD -- We must be Polar Opposites...Seriously though the Glock Torture Tests and some Privately funded Torture Tests are well documented with particular attention to those Passive Glock safeties, Things like dropping a loaded gun from 200-300 feet onto concrete to see if it survives without discharging, Dragging behind a truck down a dirt/stone road etc.etc..

Has anything like this been done with an XD? and if so how well did it survive?? I own 2 Glocks and have zero complaints, but I do like the look of the XD. From what I read it seems the only real difference is in the grip angle, most people seem to be satisfied either one.
    Recoil Happens

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast