Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Firearms in civilian hands have no place at G-20

http://community.post-gazette.com/bl...e-at-g-20.aspx

EDITORIAL - Guns everywhere: Firearms in civilian hands have no place at G-20
    When Pittsburgh hosts world leaders coming to the G-20 summit on Sept. 24 and 25, its greatest duty also will be the most basic -- security. It will be an awesome responsibility.

The Constitution must be respected in the process. It contains such rights of the people as to peaceably assemble and to keep and bear arms. But nothing in that great document suggests that one right is supreme over others. In the famous example, the First Amendment guarantees free speech but that does not permit someone to incite chaos by shouting fire needlessly in a crowded theater.

The question of competing rights now arises as G-20 legislation moves through Pittsburgh City Council. It would allow police to cite people for wearing a mask or carrying a variety of items such as rotten eggs if police perceive an intent to defy the law. The proposal also lists 37 types of guns that could be actionable. That part of the bill has upset gun-rights supporters.

We would be the first to concede that the gun provisions are legally dubious, given that in this case -- regrettably -- state law would seem to preempt anything Pittsburgh might enact. Empowering the police to be mind readers of intent is also troublesome. City Council should tread warily when these proposals are discussed in chambers tomorrow and a sunset provision would be reasonable.

But please spare us those who would make an unreasonable, absolutist defense of the Second Amendment and argue that people have a right to carry weapons anywhere near a meeting like the G-20. This summer, fanatical gun owners have insisted on their right to carry firearms to volatile town meetings or in the vicinity of the president. That is complete lunacy. It is the equivalent of shouting fire in a theater or playing with matches in a fireworks factory.

If any Joe can carry firearms near the G-20 summit, it would vastly complicate the job of law enforcement. If rotten eggs are banned but deadly firearms aren't, what a sad commentary on gun-obsessed America that will make.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Firearms in civilian hands have no place at G-20

Life sure would be simpler if it wasn't for that damned Constitution!

(Northampton County)

But please spare us those who would make an unreasonable, absolutist defense of the Second Amendment and argue that people have a right to carry weapons anywhere near a meeting like the G-20. This summer, fanatical gun owners have insisted on their right to carry firearms to volatile town meetings or in the vicinity of the president. That is complete lunacy. It is the equivalent of shouting fire in a theater or playing with matches in a fireworks factory.
    What if I lived there. And had to leave my house. And had to go through your psycho rioters and thugs to get my preganant wife to the doctor. Would it be lunacy? And where does "anywhere near" end?

If any Joe can carry firearms near the G-20 summit, it would vastly complicate the job of law enforcement. If rotten eggs are banned but deadly firearms aren't, what a sad commentary on gun-obsessed America that will make.
    Rotten eggs are not effective for self-defense.

(all aimed at the author, of course)

(Allegheny County)

IIRC, the defined protest 'zones' are no where near where the G20 meetings will be held. Kinda makes their whole argument moot.

(Allegheny County)

I'd like to figure out who first coined the "It's like shouting fire in a theater" phrase, find them, and kick them right in the junk.

If they are dead Ill find em, dig em up, then kick them right in the junk just for principle.

(Berks County)

F#@$ The G-20. Who are they? I say we all caary till our hearts content. We have the right, they have the subjects. Thats how it will be untill Patriots are gone and they have the power.

Quote Originally Posted by ham385 View Post
    IIRC, the defined protest 'zones' are no where near where the G20 meetings will be held. Kinda makes their whole argument moot.
    It looks like there are plenty of non-sanctioned plans. It looks like they're going to attempt to steamroll their way from lawerenceville all the way down the strip.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Rotten eggs are not effective for self-defense.

(all aimed at the author, of course)
    No but they sure would put a damper on the G20 stuff if everyone smelled like that. Lol.

I want to know what is unreasonable about being an absolutist. Is the author suggesting partial amendment adherence? Hmmmmm....I wonder how that would fit into his freedom of the press and speech?

(Luzerne County)

If they don't like firearms.... STAY OUT OF Pa.!!!!

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast