Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Angry Do you see this foolishness only in Pennsylvania?

I live in Beaver County and had occasion to be out and about today. How is it that, in a county that has a median family income of $36,995 per year and an awful lot of people getting government assistance in one form or another, there are so many guys riding around on shiney, new, expensive motorcycles, mainly Harleys?
    Seriously, right this minute you can drive through downtown Beaver Falls and see bunches of pricey two-wheelers parked outside the many bars. Right across the street from me lives a couple that has two of them. Their house and yard looks like shit. They look like shit. But the two bikes are spotless and gleaming.
    Yeah, I know...it's their money, they can spend it any way they want. Thing is, I know a lot of these guys have kids, and I see the kids playing in the streets looking dirty and raggedy. Kids that I know are on the free/reduced price lunch program at school, good thing too because its the only balanced meals they get.
    A Harley is a nice toy; but it's a toy. If you have enough discretionary income to drop 10k or more on a toy, good for you. Enjoy it. It says something not very good about our societal values, though, that there are more than just a few guys riding around town today who apparently put having a toy above taking care of their children and providing a nice home for them.

(Philadelphia County)

I agree with what you said. I never understand people who live in the gettho, and drive a BMW.
    Or those guys who drive their super hooked up cars ,with DVD screens in the seats and spinning rims through South Street. The only constant is there are always guys, and you never see them with any girls with them.

But dont worry too much, Natural Selection will take care of them,

remember the kid who ate too many marbles during his childhood didnt grow up to reproduce.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Armstrong County)

You'll see stuff like that all over. The toys might vary though. Some parts you'll see a $20,000 truck, $10,000 bassboat and $5,000 quad all parked next to an old singlewide worth less than the quad.

Different folks have different priorities for their time and cash.

Default Just be happy

they could invest in guns, ruin the clubs you go to, then shoot up the streets... Actually, when you see the prices these machines go for, many places say if you have $99 and a job, you can get wheels, news for you, there are paper boys that have all of that... Mind you as a friend in Texas once told me, dont look at the ppl in 3 piece suits and think they have money, the money is in the dirty jeans. We tend to buy a book by its cover, Just an example, last week after laying a $300 bathroom floor, my jeans where full of cement and paint from work i did around the house, we went to lowes where we bought a pedastal sink, an other $250, parts wood... then i said to the wife, lets go eat, ppl looked at us like we where bums, going through Monaca... Odd tho, we paid for our meal cash, and left a good tip to boot, im sure the waiter who was there will remember us no mater what we wear. Mind you, others will remember 2 bums wo where dirty and smelly... Not what you would expect from 2 people who work in security offices.

Many of the people who look scruffy are construction workers or steel workers, many of those work hard when they have work, they enjoy life differently, trying to compare to the Jones.. I live just above Ambridge, I never seen so many boats as in this area, and I been it good places before, to me a boat is a hole in the water you pour your money into, but to others its an island they own where they are the king.. Different strokes for different folks. I prefer to sink my money in my house, little at the time, I will build some thing, its an investment, where as boats and cars depreciate.

I try not to judge people, I have been in both areas of the pay scale, and I was judged more then once. Its not a nice place to be. Life is too short to judge others, If they want a shiny car or bike, let them have it, I prefer to have other things, PPL still judge me, but thats life.
    Sad for the kids tho, but society accepts this, we are the society, we accept this, as long as it doesnt affect us too much.

Odd how you see people who spend more on pets then they do on their kids, then again, maybe its not, ppl all over are wierd.
    I was just saying to some one at work the other day how I have never seen so many rude and enraged people as in the past few years, cases of roadrage are up, people pick fights for no reason, used to be we blamed this on the full moon, but now its an every day thing. I have my idea on that, but thats a whole different thread
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Luzerne County)

Angry

Joe, I agree with you 100%. Here in Luzerne county its common to see young 3rd generation welfare hogs. Its way out of control. These people need to get up off their fat @sses and get a J-O-B! PA is becoming a welfare state for sure. I'm sick of my tax dollars going to these creatons!

(Allegheny County)

i have no problem at all with people spending their own money however they want...imho, if you earn the money, you have also earned the right spend it however you want.

i do, however, have a major problem with people on welfare or other government handout programs spending money on this type of stuff. if someone can afford to buy a bunch of bling bling jewelry, they don't need you and me to buy their food for them (via foodstamps...er, access cards...etc. funded by tax dollars). in effect, i have bought their stupid ugly bling bling for them. argh.

of course, that gets into all kinds of fundamental socio-economic problems we prolly won't solve on this forum. but still, argh!

(Cumberland County)

Unhappy

My husband grew up in the deep South and I, too, noticed that especially down there, people(both black and white) live in shacks and drive BMW's, and the like. When I asked a native about this, they explained it in this way. Unusual as it seems, you don't have to invite someone to your house, but people will see you when you drive around town. They will see your expensive clothes, the type of car you drive, the toys you play with, etc. This person also told me that most of these people are on welfare. When someone from the state visits your house, they see what devestation you live in, so they don't cancel your checks and food stamps, as long as you make sure your expensive car is not parked out front. So to them, it's all about the image you portray to other people. Now, exactly how they pay for all these luxuries is a different story, but I'm guessing it's not legal.
    Last edited by klpolk3; September 11th, 2006 at 01:29 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by klpolk3 View Post
    So to them, it's all about the image you portray to other people.
    and therein lies the basis for so many of our problems in today's world...too many people care more about image than substance.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    and therein lies the basis for so many of our problems in today's world...too many people care more about image than substance.
    And they want us, the hard working people, to pay for that image...and we do, in some shape and form!

(Bucks County)

over time things have not changed, I remember my mom would tell stories of when she and my father were growing up, in the farmlands of north jersey (back when there was farmland) in the 50's. People who barely made a penny would always have nice flashy convertable cars to drive around in. Instead of saving their money and investing, they would spend it on cars, booze, and the track. It is no different today, people do it because it makes them feel "important" when they see people looking at the ride they are in.......FOOLS!
    Drak
    Life and Liberty, Freedom for all.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast