Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default FL man fired for using shotgun to protect gunshot woman

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-onlin...78250725.shtml

You're fired,' man hears after saving a woman's life

The 24-year-old grabbed a gun before going to help his neighbor who had been shot.

By Jim Schoettler, The Times-Union

When a neighbor screamed she'd been shot, Colin Bruley grabbed his shotgun, found the victim and began treating her bloodied right leg.

Tonnetta Lee survived Tuesday's pre-dawn shooting at her Jacksonville apartment, and her sister and a neighbor praised Bruley's actions. But his employers, the same people who own the Arlington complex where Bruley lives, reacted differently. They fired him.

Bruley, a leasing agent at the Oaks at Mill Creek, said he lost his job after being told that brandishing the weapon was a workplace violation, as was failing to notify supervisors after the incident occurred. He'd worked at the Monument Road complex since December and for the owner, Village Green Cos., since 2005.

Bruley said he was too shaken to call his supervisor immediately after the incident, which occurred just before 2 a.m., but planned to eventually do so. He also said he was acting as a citizen, not an employee, and shouldn't have been punished for trying to protect himself and others. He never fired the shotgun.

"I was expecting work to give me some kind of commendation," said Bruley, 24. "I was totally blown back. It was a crisis that most people don't go through."

Andrea Roebker, the company's director of public relations, said "We're not in a position to discuss any employment issues outside of [with] the employee.

She declined to comment further, citing confidentiality rules.

A complaint Bruley said was given to him by his supervisor Tuesday said he violated several company policies found in an employee handbook. Those procedures were also explained in a recent meeting and an e-mail, the complaint said. One policy prohibits any type of weapons being used in the workplace. The complaint cited him for "gross misconduct."

"Colin demonstrated extremely poor judgment in responding to this situation," the complaint said. "Colin's failure to immediately report this incident ... could have serious ramifications to the property, its associates and residents."

A police report said the shooting followed a domestic quarrel involving Lee, 24, and her boyfriend. Bruley said he was dozing off in his apartment when he heard Lee's screams. He said he then grabbed a 12-gauge shotgun he uses for protection and hunting.

Bruley said he found the woman bleeding heavily. He handed the shotgun to a neighbor, tied a tourniquet around her right leg and waited for police and rescue to arrive.

"I was kind of in a state of shock. I had blood all over my body," Bruley said.

After emergency officials took Lee to the hospital, Bruley returned to his apartment and tried to settle down, eventually falling asleep. He said he could have called his supervisor but didn't think she could do anything at the time. He said he was called into the office about 9:30 a.m., gave his account and then left. He said he was called back that afternoon and told he was fired.

Neighbor Kevin Courson joined Bruley at the crime scene when he saw Bruley had a gun for protection. Courson said he is incensed by the dismissal.

"Here was a guy trying to do a good deed. He wasn't trying to hurt nobody," said Courson, 31.

Erica Jenkins, Lee's sister, said Bruley should still have a job. Lee couldn't be reached to comment despite several messages left with her sister and mother.

"If it wasn't for him ... she could have lost her leg or died," said Jenkins, 19. "He put his life in jeopardy for someone else."

Bruley said he is considering contacting a lawyer about his dismissal, but will first look for another job and possibly another home. He promises he won't shy away from aiding others in need.

"If I'd lose my job again for helping some girl's life ... I'd do it over and over," Bruley said.

jim.schoettler@jacksonville.com, (904) 359-4385

Incidentally.. here is the company's contact info....

http://www.villagegreen.com/mailform...nityID/136.htm

(Erie County)

Default Re: FL man fired for using shotgun to protect gunshot woman

Sent them a nasty little email.

Will see if I receive a response.

(Philadelphia County)

I guess he should have been unarmed and stayed in his apartment while the woman he saved bleed to death.

These bozos got one heck of an email from me.

(Jefferson County)

No good deed goes unpunished...
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Chester County)

If the neighbor, Kevin Courson feels so strongly about the fact that Mr. Bruley acted correctly, he should get all the tenants who agree to withhold rent payments until Mr. Bruley gets his job back.

(Lebanon County)

Quick to judge, and slow to understand - arrogance, and prejudice.

(Chester County)

He could have caused damage to the property???? Since when in the blue hell has property been more important than a human life??? These people are arrogant and deserve to be sued, this incident makes me sick. The man should get an accommodation he put his life on the line to help another so lets figure out a way to reward him...... I know lets fire him. These people are ass hats, what next the evict the victim and her family for getting shot, she bled on the floor causing harm to the property. It is funny how all these people want to cite "privacy" rules when they are in the wrong, yet the minute they are in the right they will lay all your shit on the table for the whole world to see.

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty!

(Monroe County)

He violated company policy and was fired. The joy of "Employment at will".

It means you can be fired for any reason other then race, sex, or religion (discrimination). In this case he, a representive of the company walked around with a loaded shotgun and then didn't report that he had done this.

Its the same reason a lot of us don't carry at work, because if caught we would be fired... granted we could also end up dead just as easily

Was he wrong? absolutely not! Is the company wrong? absolutely!

Did he violate company policy and thus get fired? you bet

(Chester County)

How did he violate company policy??? He was off duty, in the same right then if I get in a situation where I had to down a bad guy I could be fired. The company I work for has a no firearms policy (found that out after the fact). If he was off duty in my point of view he then becomes a private citizen, and company policies have no bearing on this situation. Yeah they say well he had a loaded fire arm on company property, well then you better evict half of you tenants. it is assanine that woman owes him her life and they fire him for it. A smart company would use this as some serious P.R.

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty!

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by knighthawk06699 View Post
    How did he violate company policy??? He was off duty, in the same right then if I get in a situation where I had to down a bad guy I could be fired. The company I work for has a no firearms policy (found that out after the fact). If he was off duty in my point of view he then becomes a private citizen, and company policies have no bearing on this situation. Yeah they say well he had a loaded fire arm on company property, well then you better evict half of you tenants. it is assanine that woman owes him her life and they fire him for it. A smart company would use this as some serious P.R.
    If he lives on the premises where he works (which he does) then he needs to follow their rules at all times, which I'm sure is in the paperwork that he signed when he took the job.

As for PR... its a mixed bag. On one side they have the ability to fly that "willing to help employees living in the complex!" on the other What happens next time when someone is injured and no one rushes to help? They are also exposed to some serious liability in this case, or any case where an "on the books" employee responds to an issue.

1. He handed the loaded shotgun to someone standing nearby. An employee gave a firearm to an unknown citizen

2. He has blood all over him, what if she is HIV+ or has any other diseases

3. What if he does something wrong and she dies anyway? What if he does something that hastens her death or causes other issues such as loss of limb?

As an on the premise employee the company is legally responsible for his actions.

once again I'm not saying he is wrong but he is no longer employed there and he'll find another job. Employment at Will

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast