Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Arrow Man with gun tries to rob undercover narcotics detective; gets shot by cops.

Detectives shoot man during robbery
    Two arrested after undercover drug deal
    Monday, August 31, 2009
    By Cindi Lash, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

A Mount Oliver man is in UPMC Mercy for treatment of a gunshot wound to the leg after opening fire while trying to rob an undercover narcotics detective Saturday night, police officials said.

Omar Pryor, 29, will be charged with one count each of attempted homicide and robbery, three counts of aggravated assault, and two counts of firearms violations, Pittsburgh police Chief Nathan Harper said early yesterday. He is in stable condition at the hospital, Chief Harper said.

Mr. Pryor was arrested Saturday night in Mount Oliver after exchanging gunfire with undercover detectives who had arranged to buy heroin for $250 from him, Cmdr. Cheryl Doubt said. Police officials did not identify the detectives involved but described them as an eight- and nine-year veterans of the city force.

When a detective met Mr. Pryor at 8:40 p.m. at Hays Street and School Way in Mount Oliver, Mr. Pryor pulled a handgun and pointed it at the detective's head, Chief Harper said. Mr. Pryor ordered the detective to give up his money and to leave the area, the chief said.

The detective backed away before identifying himself as a police officer and telling Mr. Pryor he was under arrest, Chief Harper said. Mr. Pryor began shooting at the detective, who fired back, as did another detective who was providing cover in the area, the chief said.

"[He] fired several rounds," the chief said. "Both detectives returned fire."

Although he was wounded in the leg, Mr. Pryor was able to run into a former school that had been converted to apartments at 326 Hays St., police officials said. At least two shots fired by Mr. Pryor went into an unoccupied apartment, although other apartments in the building do have tenants, Cmdr. Thomas Stangrecki said.

City and Mount Oliver police surrounded the building and summoned officers from the city's SWAT team and the Allegheny County police special emergency response team. Mr. Pryor was arrested, however, when he walked out of the building after trying to dupe his pursuers by changing his clothes, the chief said.

Police officials would not describe the clothing Mr. Pryor was wearing when he entered and left the building. But Cmdr. Doubt said it is not unusual for suspected drug dealers to try to disguise themselves by dressing in layers and shedding clothing when they encounter police.

"It was a fairly futile attempt to fool [police]," Chief Harper said.

Also arrested was Anthony Davis, 22, of Windgap, who police said helped to arrange the drug deal and ran from the shooting scene. He is charged with conspiracy to commit robbery.

Police said they recovered a semi-automatic handgun with an extended magazine as well as the cash the detective intended to use to purchase heroin. But Assistant Chief Maurita Bryant said police recovered no drugs from Mr. Pryor and do not believe he intended to make the transaction.

"It was set up to be a robbery all along," she said.

The detectives, who were not injured, have been placed on administrative leave. County police and the district attorney's office are investigating the incident.

(York County)

Default Re: Man with gun tries to rob undercover narcotics detective; gets shot by cops.

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    "[He] fired several rounds," the chief said. "Both detectives returned fire."
    These stupid ass gangbangers need to get to the range a little more. Most of these street punks couldnt hit the broad side of a barn if their lives depended on it. The cops should've killed the dumbass. One less scumbag on the street.
    Last edited by WhiteShadow; August 31st, 2009 at 05:58 AM.
    "A peaceful mind generates power"

(York County)

Default Re: Man with gun tries to rob undercover narcotics detective; gets shot by cops.

Uhhh, I get what you mean but I'll take my scumbags not being able to hit the broad side of a barn thank you very much
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShadow View Post
    These stupid ass gangbangers need to get to the range a little more. Most of these street punks couldnt hit the broad side of a barn if their lives depended on it. The cops should've killed the dumbass. One less scumbag on the street.
    Yeah, they definitely don't need to get to the range. I think they shoot just fine. Let the cops go to the range and get good at shooting. But, if only the bullet had hit higher.....

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShadow View Post
    +1 AGREED!!!

(Lehigh County)

I think the BG got what he deserved. I mean WTF was he thinking, committing a crime while in the act of committing a crime. Don't we have laws to prevent this?
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by YBNORMAL View Post
    Uhhh, I get what you mean but I'll take my scumbags not being able to hit the broad side of a barn thank you very much
    ^^^^this^^^^

If the LEOs had gone to the range more often, the BG would not have been able to run into an apartment complex further endangering innocent bystanders with return fire.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nic View Post
    ^^^^this^^^^

If the LEOs had gone to the range more often, the BG would not have been able to run into an apartment complex further endangering innocent bystanders with return fire.
    Only if there was someone shooting back at the range. Shooting at paper is nothing like when someone is shooting back at you.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Monroe County)

Very happy to hear the officers are alright and I hope the gangbangers don't improve their accuracy but rather get worse.

(Monroe County)

While I agree that we don't want the BG's to hit the GG's, their marksmenship skills are so bad that they wound and kill folks blocks away with their spray and pray methods. I would prefer the idiots put their weapons back together wrong or suffer a KABOOM than being able to shoot at all. I saw one idiot attempt to fire 22 call ammo froma 25 auto and couldn't figure why the weapon wouldn't work
    Last edited by DennisH82; August 31st, 2009 at 10:31 AM. Reason: SP

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast