Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Gamelands reserved, no shooting

So yesterday (6-20), I drive up from Washington county to Wexford to shoot. When I get there, around 9am, there are university of Pittsburgh sport utes are there. They tell me the gamelands are reserved to them for the day, and it was posted somewhere? He didnt seem to know where, and tells me no one else can shoot that day. No point in me debating this with a bunch of cops with all kinds of weapons and ammo, so I leave.
    When I get home, I'm looking on the gamelands site, and I see no notice of it being closed. Anyone know how I would have known, and saved the long drive? There was no notice posted up there either, I looked before I left.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Gamelands reserved, no shooting

I don't know if they post the notification on line, but I have seen signs at a local PFC range stating the range will be closed for a private function on such & such a date & time. They usually post the range several weeks in advance.

(Jefferson County)

kimbercdp,

If you're from Washington Co, there are a couple other ranges open to shoot at depending on your location. I've shot at the Greene Co one that I listed below when I worked down there.

SGL 51 FAYETTE COUNTY

Range is located 3 miles southwest of Dunbar along LR 26047 Dunbar-Ohiopyle Road.

SGL 223 GREENE COUNTY

I 79 S Garards Fort / Kirby exit(about exit 5-9 mile marker) SR2018(?) go up ramp and turn Left. Crossover I 79 and go 2 miles to a T intersection. Turn Right and go 1 ½ miles, look on the left for white barn and covered shooting benches. Mostly a rifle range, but has(had) a 25yrd or so pistol target backboard.

SGL 245 WASHINGTON COUNTY

Rt 70 take Exit 2 and turn right onto Rt 40 East. Approximately 6 3 /4 mile turn Right onto Rt 231S. Go 3 miles to Ranch Road. Large wooden sign for SGL Range turn Right down dirt road one mile to range on left, parking lot on right.
    Last edited by knight0334; June 21st, 2007 at 09:40 AM.

(Allegheny County)

That really sucks.
    I can't explain how you could have known, but since you're in the area, our next PAFOA Group Shoot will be on Sunday, July 8th at PMSC.
    Shameless plug, I know, but I thought I'd mention it.

Oh, and the only signs you'll see for our shoot is the one that says WELCOME!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Washington County)

Well, as least I didnt miss the notice, which seems like it wasnt posted anywhere. Might be time to join a club, which I have not done yet since Pgh gun club closed. Its hard to beat the free deal, which the game lands is. I was able to get some dry practice in, using the morning liberal media news on my big screen tv.
    The one at by the Meadowlands is open on Saturday, maybe I'll check that out this weekend.

(York County)

Where are the Gamelandds located? I've heard of them (being new to the area) and understand they are out past Dover on the 74, can anyone be more specific? Is there a website I can look this up? Thanks.
    "It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6." My Dad

"Rage, rage against the dying of the light,
    Do not go gentle into that good night." Dylan Thomas

(Luzerne County)

Do the same magazine capacity/shot rules apply if the range is reserved?
    Guns are good.
    If you can't fry it you shouldn't eat it
    Loud pipes save lives
    Mom spelled backwards spells....mom
    "Please don't squeeze the Charmin." ~ Mr. Whipple

(Luzerne County)

Probably not as I've heard some LEO dept's reserve the ranges. Kind of hard to run a handgun qualification with only 6-rounds in the gun.

(Lancaster County)

Lightbulb Re: Gamelands reserved, no shooting

Quote Originally Posted by rexposeidon View Post
    Where are the Gamelandds located? I've heard of them (being new to the area) and understand they are out past Dover on the 74, can anyone be more specific? Is there a website I can look this up? Thanks.
    There are hundreds of them all over the state, some with public ranges some hunting only. The one in York county is 5-7 miles straight up on 74(then turns into 177, old York road) past Dover and Rossville, on Right hand side (going toward Dillsburg). If you take 74 all the way to Dillsburg, you have turned off.

I shoot there 1-2 times a week. It an ok place, only a few knuckleheads. There is an annoying woman who hangs out there picking up the brass, if you don't say anything or are timid she'll swipe your's without asking. I been told they don't reload, they recycle or otherwise resell it. I hope she gets lead poisoning.

The PAGC site is at http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/ on the page is link "places to shoot" click there.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke

It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything. -Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

“One man with a gun can control 100 without one. ” -Vladamir Lenin, Founder Communist Party USSR ... I hate to quote a commie, but when they ban your gun, you'll know who gave them the idea.

(Allegheny County)

To get to the one in Washington County take the Claysville exit off I-70. You have to drive into Claysville to hit 231 S which is right hand turn.
    The road down to the range is like Baja in some parts so make sure it is not rained too close to when you go there or you may get stuck in the mud.

The Sunday I was down there it was pretty quiet. I got shoot by my self until 3:30 pm before anyone else showed up. BTW there is no Cell phone signal down there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast