Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default penn state shooting ranges

Hey all,
    I just moved up to state college as a student and I am trying to find a place where i can shoot skeet. Does anyone know where i can shoot clay pidgeons or any rifle ranges that are close
    Thanks

(Delaware County)

Default Re: penn state shooting ranges

The only place I'm aware of is the Scotia range. IT's part of the State Game Lands - gotta bring al of your own stuff.

If you're into rifle shooting - there is an Appleseed shoot in Manheim (about 1.5 hrs away down by Harrisburg and the Renaissance Faire on Sept 19-20 www.appleseedinfo.com

(Somerset County)

Scotia is good, you need to sign the log book when you go in, they have a covered rifle range, carpets for the table tops and sand bags. Pistol range and a shotgun field but I think you need your own launcher for clays. My son and I were there last Monday, shot a little at 200 yds since he's never shot that far before. Oh yeah, restrooms too. Call the PGC region office to check on hours of operation.

Try this link for other clubs, it's from the Gun Guys website

http://130.94.182.159/rangespa.htm

I used to shoot at Scotia when I was at PSU, glad to see the tradition being carried on.

Dale

(York County)

Thanks for the input. I was expecting alot of anti-gun people up here but so far it hasn't been that way. There was actually a guy trying to start a firearms club the other day. I will definitely have to check out the Scotia range.
    happy shooting

(Centre County)

Scotia is pretty nice, but their rules are annoying, and engorced. 3 rounds in a rifle, 6 in a handgun. Paper targets only, and the people are hit or miss. i've encountered alot of super nice people(mostly younger) that like to bs and swap guns for a few shots, and the quiet, unfreindly people(mostly older) that won't give you the time of day, and like to complain. Stick to the auxillary ranges, the good time recreational guys hang there, and the more serious, shoot 4 rounds and take a 10 minute walk to the 200yd line, type of shooters stick to the roofed ranges. As an avid plinker and blaster that is used to the freedom of shooting on private land, Scotia's uptightness may be necessary for saftey and liability, but it kills the fun of shooting.

Just pick up your brass and trash, and don't be a prick and shoot the target holders and you can blast away at the auxillary range after hours and no one will complain.

(Centre County)

If you look in the "Centre" sub forum this has been discussed a few times, you can also find info about some local shooters. In short there are more ranges than just Scotia but Scotia is still where I go.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
    i've encountered alot of super nice people(mostly younger) that like to bs and swap guns for a few shots, and the quiet, unfreindly people(mostly older) that won't give you the time of day, and like to complain.
    And then you have that small chance of getting the 18 real old kid that somehow convinced his dad to buy him a (or several) pistols- that brings his whole group of friends and they all go at it with little to no regard for safety.

(Franklin County)

How can I load FOUR rounds in my M1 Garand?

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by thatJeffguy View Post
    How can I load FOUR rounds in my M1 Garand?
    They look the other way when it comes to that rule as it is generally accepted that unless you have a modified enbloc clip that you have to load 8 to be able to operate the gun. I have NEVER been given problems. The key, as with everything else, is to not be a jackass and they will be cool with it.

Josh
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by ithinkimamedic View Post
    They look the other way when it comes to that rule as it is generally accepted that unless you have a modified enbloc clip that you have to load 8 to be able to operate the gun. I have NEVER been given problems. The key, as with everything else, is to not be a jackass and they will be cool with it.

Josh
    I was talking to one guy who was at the range in Dillsburg when some yahoo came up and loaded a 75 round drum magazine into an AR and was plinking for about 15 minutes until a warden came and cited him for having the whole thing loaded. It turned out to be this $7200 fine or something obscene like that. $100 or whatever it is for every round over the three round limit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast