Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default The New and Improved Universal "I took a friend shooting" thread.

To encourage getting more people interested in shooting and spread knowledge about the sport, as well as making people less fearful of EBR's I present the...

I took a friend shooting thread.

Let's keep it bumped with stories about taking friends shooting for the first time in years, or ever!

Last month I took a friend shooting that hadn't held a rifle or shotgun since his teens, well half his life ago.

Today I took a friend shooting with some 22's and an AR-15. It was his first time shooting a rifle. He'd previously rented some handguns at the range a couple of times. It was great to see the smile on his face, and the pride at the groups he was able to put down.

Not that I think he's going to run out tomorrow and get a 22, he's definitely interested in taking another trip out soon.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: The New and Improved Universal "I took a friend shooting" thread.

Well, more than a friend -- I took my son shooting today at Classic Pistol for his 13th birthday. Could have knocked me over with a feather when I asked him a few days ago what he wanted for his birthday and he said "A couple hours at the range with you." I was expecting him to want a video game (OK, he wanted that, too!) So today we went -- he shot about 500 rounds with my .22 Ruger Mark II and a couple magazines with my CZ-82. Did pretty good, too -- a little uneven at first, but within half an hour he was hitting the bull fairly regular with the .22. Best of all, he can't wait to go back.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by shiloh View Post
    Well, more than a friend -- I took my son shooting today at Classic Pistol for his 13th birthday. Could have knocked me over with a feather when I asked him a few days ago what he wanted for his birthday and he said "A couple hours at the range with you." I was expecting him to want a video game (OK, he wanted that, too!) So today we went -- he shot about 500 rounds with my .22 Ruger Mark II and a couple magazines with my CZ-82. Did pretty good, too -- a little uneven at first, but within half an hour he was hitting the bull fairly regular with the .22. Best of all, he can't wait to go back.
    Congrats! It's great when they ask you!

(York County)

Pretty much everyone I know gets invited to the range with me. I have brought approx 10 people over the past 3 years or so. Easy to get people interested when it is something that is fun. I shoot Sporting Clays every Sunday morning so it is a nice way to get people who seem interested involved in the shooting sports.

My daughter and I are working thru the NRA Marksmanship Program and it is nice spending time with her showing her the basics of marksmanship and safety. I have a nagging feeling in the back of my mind that I want to ask the 2 neighbor boys if they would like to come with us as their mother has told me that they would be interested. They are 7 and 9 yrs old but I must say that they are less than well behaved children. One side of me says that this may teach them patience, self control, and safety.....but the other side of me wants to wait till these kids can demonstrate that they are able to behave long enough to listen and be taught something.