Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5.45x39

(Franklin County)

Default 5.45x39

Got my new Saiga in 5.45x39 a couple of weeks ago. Finally had time to go to the range. I find it to be very accurate. I had to put a scope on it as the eyes aren't what they used to be. Shot a 3 1/4 in.group at 150 yards. I don't have a lot of experience with AK style rifles but I was pleased with this. I also have a Saiga in 7.62x39 . I haven't put a scope on it yet but I might to see if it performs as well. For the money , these Saigas seem like a good buy.

Default Re: 5.45x39

I ahve one in 223 and am very satisfied with it. It shoots about 2" a 100 yd (comparable accuracy to yours). Remember ll the milsurp 5.45x39 is corrosive so clean after shooting. I know the bore is chromed but the rest of the rifle surely isn't.

(Franklin County)

Got a couple of cans of surplus ammo but I haven't opened one yet. Still have some Wolf that I'm shooting. Going to try the surplus stuff soon. Folks on the Forum say Windex window cleaner with ammonia works. I've never shot corrosive ammo so any advice would be appreciated. Bruce

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by biggerpatterson View Post
    Folks on the Forum say Windex window cleaner with ammonia works. I've never shot corrosive ammo so any advice would be appreciated. Bruce
    windex is a myth. it is thought that amonia will neutralise the salts. if you dont have time to clean immediately you can spray down w WD40. then clean asap

best and easiest method....corrosive salts should be flushed out with hot water
    then clean and lube as usual

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZ View Post
    Remember all the milsurp 5.45x39 is corrosive so clean after shooting. I know the bore is chromed but the rest of the rifle surely isn't.
    Absolutely. Learned this the hard way recently shooting some Barnaul 7.62 FMJ. Commercial ammo my ass... those primers were corrosive. Everything in the blast radius, and since it was an AMD-65... that's about a square acre... got that crap deposited on it. I stuffed it back in the case, and didn't get around to cleaning it for a week. Big mistake. 60 rounds and the whole inside of the brake and little places where the residue sat, rusted right through the finish.

I cannot explain to you how pissed I was. That was the first time out with that rifle. 60 rounds in an AK is a joke. I've left my romAK sit for a month or so after shooting <150 rounds through it after firing wolf. And no problems. So just a warning, the older green box Barnaul 7.62 FMJ just might be corrosive too. Depending on what primers they decided to stuff in there.

But this needed stressed, it's not just the bore that will get eaten by corrosive ammo. So make sure you get a nice good couple coats of preventative oil baked on there. It helps.

(Montgomery County)

Agreed, it is wise to consider any foriegn 5,45 ammo as mildly corrosive, even new production.

I have had success cleaning with hot water after shooting surplus ammo. i am lazier these days and have not done thourough cleanings using silver bear, golden tiger and wolf mc and bb without corrosion issues.

a good trick i have used (and seen used) successfully is to shoot a mag of "quality" ammo thru before using a know corrosive ammo. thought process is to coat up the internals with a layer of non (or less) corrosive residue thereby giving the salts less contact area with the metal.

(Lancaster County)

I like the concept of shooting through a mag of non-corrosive first as well. I don't know how well it really works, but I do it and haven't had any issues.

I also don't tempt fate though, I clean right away after shooting corrosive.

All else aside, I shoot corrosive 5.45 through my Century Tantal (no chrome) all the time and have no problems. As soon as I get home I swab everything out with Windex (myth or not my guns don't rust) and then follow up with a regular cleaning and oiling. I don't think it's the ammonia that breaks down the salts--it's the water in Windex that does that--however, the ammonia allows it to dry rapidly thereby eliminating the need for hot water.

Everybody has their favorite method for cleaning corrosive residue and my guess is they all work pretty well, otherwise they wouldn't be anybody's favorite method.

(Monroe County)

The Amonia thing is not a Myth, it Works, but it is a tempoarary thing, The Gun must still be washed and cleaned including the Gas rod, ports etc. not just the barrel.

Nyman

windex is a myth. it is thought that amonia will neutralise the salts.

This is true. Windex is mostly water anyway. Household ammonia will work because it is mostly water (pure ammonia is a gas). Hot water is better as it evaporates better. I clean with water, followed by WD40 to displace the water (what it was designed for), followed by conventional cleaning.

OLD GI bore solvent or hoppe's #9 will also dissolve corrosive salts but not as good as water. There is a test of various solvents on Surplusrifle.com and shows nothing works better than water.

(Franklin County)

Many Thanks to all for the info on cleaning after shooting corrosive ammo. Bruce

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast