Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Angry UNFORTUNATELY I have to move to NJ

Presently I am residing in Arizona. I own various firearms which I enjoy during my spare time target shooting. I also have a CCW. I work for a plumbing company and was just informed that the company will fold come the new year. Unfortunately I have to move back to NJ and stay with family because of the economy. I plan to leave Arizona by Dec 1st. I have every intentions of hopefully moving to Pike County and getting out of NJ eventually. I know most of what I own is definately illegal in NJ and I really don't want to sell my firearms. It's my right (2nd amendment) to own them. In order for me to know what can be modified to meet NJ statue a gun lawyer from NJ wants 500.00 bucks. It's outrageous. I have been looking at purchasing a mobile home in a community in Pike County but I can't use that as my permanent address because they are vacation/seasonal. I was wondering if there is a way to legally store them in PA? Any suggestions?
    Last edited by anemone; August 29th, 2009 at 09:44 PM.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: UNFORTUNATELY I have to move to NJ

A storage unit in Pa would be ok I think..
    WAKE UP OR WACO!

(Northampton County)

I'll store them for you...but only if you supply the ammo!
    http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w186/amamruoy/sigline-1-1-1-1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Strapped View Post
    A storage unit in Pa would be ok I think..
    I second that. Mostly it's Hi caps mags and certain rifles that standout. What are you talking about bringing, if that isn't being to forward.

(Montgomery County)

Good safe, drape it over, put crappy furniture around it. Make sure the employees/owners know you are just 'storing some crap you don't have room for int he garage'. Get a place with 24 hour access and cameras, move guns/safes in discreetly. Upwards of 80% self storage breakins are inside jobs by employees.

A friend of mine had the same problem. He left all his "questionable" firearms with a friend. He even purchased a safe for them. After 2+ years he moved back and still had a nice collection....AND a nice safe. Hardly cost him anything. (All you need is a friend)

(Lackawanna County)

NJ gun laws can be a nightmare. I lived there for 8 years and some of the laws just don't make sense. An AR-15 is an assault weapon, but a Colt Match Target is not. Anything that holds more than 15 bullets is a no-no, even if it is a .22 rifle with a tubular magazine that holds 14 .22 LR but can fit 17 .22 short. You need a Firearms Purchaser ID if you intend to take your guns to the range. And you have to travel straight from your home to the range and back. Possession of hollowpoint ammunition outside of your primary residence is a felony. You can only use FMJ ammo to go to the range. And a lot more nonsense that has kept New Jerseyans unable to defend themselves. BTW, Camden, NJ was names the most dangerous city in the Nation for 3 years in a row.

If you're talking handguns only, a bank safe deposit box, large size, might be an answer.

[quote=Corn Flake; Possession of hollowpoint ammunition outside of your primary residence is a felony. You can only use FMJ ammo to go to the range.[/quote]

I'm afraid your wrong on this one.

N.J.S.A 2C:39-3f(1) limits the possession of hollow nose ammunition. However, there is a general exception that allows for the purchase of this ammunition but restricts the possession of it to specified locations. This exception provides that:

(2) Nothing is sub section f (1) shall be construed to prevent a person from keeping such ammunition at his dwelling, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, or from carrying such ammunition from the place of purchase to said dwelling or land . . . [N.J.S.A 26:39-3g (2)].

Thus a person may purchase this ammunition and keep it within the confines of his property. Sub section f (1) further exempts from the prohibited possession of hollow nose ammunition "persons engaged in activities pursuant to N.J.S.A 2C:39-6f. . . ."
    N.J.S.A 26:39-3f. (1).

Activities contained in N.J.S.A 26:39-6f. can be broken down as follows:

1.A member of a rifle or pistol club organized under rules of the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice and which filed its charter with the State Police;
    2.A person engaged in hunting or target practice with a firearm legal for hunting in this State;
    3.A person going directly to a target range, and;
    4.A person going directly to an authorized place for "practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions."

I'd do like they said and get a storage unit near where your going to move to in Pa or have a friend keep them until you move to Pa.

sandcast69

(Mercer County)

I don't know your situation (other than what you have posted), but why not spend the next few months finding a new job in PA? I know, I know...PA isn't exactly a hotbed of job creation, but surely you can find something. Then get a basic apartment to get on your feet.

I would think that I'd do nearly any kind of work to avoid moving to PRNJ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast