Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Re: UNFORTUNATELY I have to move to NJ

Quote Originally Posted by sandcast69 View Post
    I'm afraid your wrong on this one.

N.J.S.A 2C:39-3f(1) limits the possession of hollow nose ammunition. However, there is a general exception that allows for the purchase of this ammunition but restricts the possession of it to specified locations. This exception provides that:

(2) Nothing is sub section f (1) shall be construed to prevent a person from keeping such ammunition at his dwelling, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, or from carrying such ammunition from the place of purchase to said dwelling or land . . . [N.J.S.A 26:39-3g (2)].

Thus a person may purchase this ammunition and keep it within the confines of his property. Sub section f (1) further exempts from the prohibited possession of hollow nose ammunition "persons engaged in activities pursuant to N.J.S.A 2C:39-6f. . . ."
    N.J.S.A 26:39-3f. (1).

Activities contained in N.J.S.A 26:39-6f. can be broken down as follows:

1.A member of a rifle or pistol club organized under rules of the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice and which filed its charter with the State Police;
    2.A person engaged in hunting or target practice with a firearm legal for hunting in this State;
    3.A person going directly to a target range, and;
    4.A person going directly to an authorized place for "practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions."

I'd do like they said and get a storage unit near where your going to move to in Pa or have a friend keep them until you move to Pa.

sandcast69
    Interesting. I was under the impression that hollow point was a no-no outside the home. I never let my Hydra-Shocks see the light of the day while I lived there.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by anemone View Post
    Presently I am residing in Arizona. I own various firearms which I enjoy during my spare time target shooting. I also have a CCW. I work for a plumbing company and was just informed that the company will fold come the new year. Unfortunately I have to move back to NJ and stay with family because of the economy. I plan to leave Arizona by Dec 1st. I have every intentions of hopefully moving to Pike County and getting out of NJ eventually. I know most of what I own is definately illegal in NJ and I really don't want to sell my firearms. It's my right (2nd amendment) to own them. In order for me to know what can be modified to meet NJ statue a gun lawyer from NJ wants 500.00 bucks. It's outrageous. I have been looking at purchasing a mobile home in a community in Pike County but I can't use that as my permanent address because they are vacation/seasonal. I was wondering if there is a way to legally store them in PA? Any suggestions?
    Before you move get a PA LTCF!!! Do it now, that is if you have one from arizona, if you don't have one from arizona get it and then get a PA LTRCF. Hurry up!!! And don't take hollow points into NJ!!!

I see no reason why you couldn't buy a mobile home just about anywhere in PA and have that as your perminate address unless of course your not going to live there for the majority of the time..

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by sandcast69 View Post
    I'm afraid your wrong on this one.

N.J.S.A 2C:39-3f(1) limits the possession of hollow nose ammunition. However, there is a general exception that allows for the purchase of this ammunition but restricts the possession of it to specified locations. This exception provides that:

(2) Nothing is sub section f (1) shall be construed to prevent a person from keeping such ammunition at his dwelling, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, or from carrying such ammunition from the place of purchase to said dwelling or land . . . [N.J.S.A 26:39-3g (2)].

Thus a person may purchase this ammunition and keep it within the confines of his property. Sub section f (1) further exempts from the prohibited possession of hollow nose ammunition "persons engaged in activities pursuant to N.J.S.A 2C:39-6f. . . ."
    N.J.S.A 26:39-3f. (1).

Activities contained in N.J.S.A 26:39-6f. can be broken down as follows:

1.A member of a rifle or pistol club organized under rules of the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice and which filed its charter with the State Police;
    2.A person engaged in hunting or target practice with a firearm legal for hunting in this State;
    3.A person going directly to a target range, and;
    4.A person going directly to an authorized place for "practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions."

I'd do like they said and get a storage unit near where your going to move to in Pa or have a friend keep them until you move to Pa.

sandcast69
    That's all very interesting. I wonder if the arresting officer knows those statutes and exceptions. As a former NJ resident my advice taken from a lawyer, is for the guy moving to NJ to immediately get a membership in a gun club and carry the membership card with you. It works as a de facto permit to transport legal firearms in NJ . Join the Association of NJ rifle and Pistol Clubs, inc. or Central Jersey Rifle and Pistol Club. They are registered with the state police ,DCM, NRA etc. And it wouldn't hurt to apply for a NJ firearms ID card (available to non-residents). In the meantime I would avoid tempting fate with hollowpoint ammo.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke ...

Dear Lord do yourself a favor and don't move back to NJ. You'll end up trapped there for an indefinite amount of time. There has to be an alternative available.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Westmoreland County)

Presently I am residing in Arizona. I own various firearms which I enjoy during my spare time target shooting. I also have a CCW. I work for a plumbing company and was just informed that the company will fold come the new year. Unfortunately I have to move back to NJ and stay with family because of the economy. I plan to leave Arizona by Dec 1st. I have every intentions of hopefully moving to Pike County and getting out of NJ eventually. I know most of what I own is definately illegal in NJ and I really don't want to sell my firearms. It's my right (2nd amendment) to own them. In order for me to know what can be modified to meet NJ statue a gun lawyer from NJ wants 500.00 bucks. It's outrageous. I have been looking at purchasing a mobile home in a community in Pike County but I can't use that as my permanent address because they are vacation/seasonal. I was wondering if there is a way to legally store them in PA? Any suggestions?
    I feel for ya. Sorry you can't take your treasures with you. I would say renting an indoor storage unit in PA is your best bet at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Nic View Post
    I feel for ya. Sorry you can't take your treasures with you. I would say renting an indoor storage unit in PA is your best bet at this point.
    Oh believe me I won't give up my toys that easily....I will find a way to live in Pa even if I got to live in a one room shack with an outdoor toilet.

Quote Originally Posted by exceltoexcel View Post
    Before you move get a PA LTCF!!! Do it now, that is if you have one from arizona, if you don't have one from arizona get it and then get a PA LTRCF. Hurry up!!! And don't take hollow points into NJ!!!

I see no reason why you couldn't buy a mobile home just about anywhere in PA and have that as your perminate address unless of course your not going to live there for the majority of the time..
    The community won't allow me to use the trailer/mobile home (4 season recreational community) as my permanent address even though I am allowed to be there year round except for 2 weeks (trailer has to be vacant for 2 weeks).

(Montgomery County)

the community might bbe able to kick you out but they don't make pa law and you're under no obligation to tell them. Can you get mail there or is that the real problem?

(Northampton County)

The community won't allow me to use the trailer/mobile home (4 season recreational community) as my permanent address even though I am allowed to be there year round except for 2 weeks (trailer has to be vacant for 2 weeks).
    You see this a lot with "seasonal" campgrounds. They are zoned so that they can not be used as a permanent residence, the reasoning for this is so that you do not have increase in population tied to a home with a low tax assessment. In other words they do not want full-time residents who will bring kids into the school district living in a dwelling that generates limited real estate tax revenue.
    Last edited by Red; September 5th, 2009 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    You see this a lot with "seasonal" campgrounds. They are zoned so that they can not be used as a permanent residence, the reasoning for this is so that you do not have increase in population tied to a home with a low tax assessment. In other words they do not want full-time residents who will bring kids into the school district living in a dwelling that generates limited real estate tax revenue.
    I am 49 yrs old my child bearing days are over! Well thanks for clarifying the reason they are zoned this way.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast