Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Draco AK47 Pistol

I just picked up one of these from classic... not really sure how they got away with calling it a pistol..

Questions in regards to modifications. Obviously if I add any sort of buttstock it turns into a $200 tax check for uncle sam. However what I am looking to do is replace the forward stock with one with a rail that would allow an extra grip. Does this then wander into SBR territory? My plan was to do what was mentioned above and then add a krink style flash suppressor.

Been scouring the net and have yet to find anything on the rule books that addresses this.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Draco AK47 Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Stampeed Valkyrie View Post
    I just picked up one of these from classic... not really sure how they got away with calling it a pistol..

Questions in regards to modifications. Obviously if I add any sort of buttstock it turns into a $200 tax check for uncle sam. However what I am looking to do is replace the forward stock with one with a rail that would allow an extra grip. Does this then wander into SBR territory? My plan was to do what was mentioned above and then add a krink style flash suppressor.

Been scouring the net and have yet to find anything on the rule books that addresses this.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...f=122&t=277274

I would think the same applies for AKs.
    Steve

(Allegheny County)

a forward grip would make it an AOW.

(Jefferson County)

Any firearm that has never had a shoulder stock is a handgun. And like the guys above said: add a stock to a handgun with a rifled barrel less than 16" and it becomes a SBR. Add a vertical forward grip it becomes an AOW.

(Blair County)

Gun Owner "I wish it add more control to my pistol by adding another grip"

Gooberment "That will be $200, do not pass go"

The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

(Lancaster County)

Having had one of these, then selling it, and now really missing it, here are my suggestions and pieces of knowledge I picked up about legalities:

1. 922r rules do not apply because it is not a rifle--imported parts, domestic parts, whatever parts are all ok.

2. Putting the forward grip on it makes in an AOW. It apparently only costs you $5.00 to make it legit with the BATF, but then it's registered.

3. If you want more stability, and the ability to carry it when SHTF, get a sling mount drilled into the rear trunnion. Adjust the sling so that when pushing the gun forward it is the same length as a buttstock. If you push it forward like that, it will be surprisingly stable.

4. It may or may not be technically legal to grab onto the magazine as a forward stabilizing device.

5. You can always mount a quad-rail forend, buy the forward pistol grip and just keep it tucked away for when all hell breaks loose and you actually need that gun. If that time ever comes, a $5 tax stamp will be irrelevant. In the meantime you can mount lasers, lights, red dot etc. Plus, something like the UTG quad rails with rail covers will add a bit of weight to the gun, which will help keep it under control.

6. It is the same furniture as a WASR or SAR type AK, so anything that fits those forends will fit yours.

7. Yes, if you have a LTCF, you can use it as a carry gun. This is particularly helpful for when you want to go shopping, but don't want to be bothered by salespeople

Have fun with it. They're mean little SOB's but once you have it out a couple times you'll get a feel for it. It's a bit awkward at first, but very, very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by mak47 View Post
    . . .

2. Putting the forward grip on it makes in an AOW. It apparently only costs you $5.00 to make it legit with the BATF, but then it's registered.

. . .

4. It may or may not be technically legal to grab onto the magazine as a forward stabilizing device. . . .

5. You can always mount a quad-rail forend, buy the forward pistol grip and just keep it tucked away for when all hell breaks loose and you actually need that gun. If that time ever comes, a $5 tax stamp will be irrelevant. In the meantime you can mount lasers, lights, red dot etc. Plus, something like the UTG quad rails with rail covers will add a bit of weight to the gun, which will help keep it under control.
    . . .
    Manufacturing your own AOW costs $200 on a Form 1. Subsequent transfers cost $5, on a Form 4. An FFL manufacturer can make one without paying the $200, and transfer to you for $5.

It is perfectly legal to use your magazine as a grip, or kiss it, or call it Susie. It isn't a grip, so it won't create an AOW.

Not sure about constructive possession issues if you have a grip that you can't use anywhere except on your pistol. If you have other rails on rifles that you could use that grip on, then you're probably fine.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Delaware County)

I just saw some of these for sale. Is it as front heavy as it looks? I have a PLR-16 that I shoot using 2 hands at the pistol grip. Can you realistically do this with the Draco or do you really need your off hand gripping the front?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    I just saw some of these for sale. Is it as front heavy as it looks? I have a PLR-16 that I shoot using 2 hands at the pistol grip. Can you realistically do this with the Draco or do you really need your off hand gripping the front?
    Yep every bit as front heavy as it looks. You would not shoot this with 2 hands at the pistol grip. Well maybe you would. I don't think you're really going to be accurate doing much but holding it like an AK... simply without a butt stock.

(Or like if the stock was folded.)

I was just toying with one of these the other day in the store. I would definitely want it to be a SBR instead. (Just my opinion)

(Berks County)

A few months ago I was at a gunshow and saw a Draco with Romanian furniture on it. The furniture was the one with the wooden forward grip that is part of the stock. I asked if that forward grip made it an AOW, and the seller assured me that it did not, as it was "built into the furniture." I nodded and moved on.

The seller was quite incorrect, I'm pretty sure (not positive).

By the way, J & G has these CHEAP right now, only $350! Look for prices to plummet. http://www.jgsales.com/product_info....b0f02bb7b14114

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast