Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Thoughts on the Winchester Model 70?

Don't need comparisons with another but would like to know general thoughts of the Winchester Model 70, Featherweight .300 WSM Winchester Short Magnum.

From the web I found:
    Last Year in Catalog 2006
    Item Number 535004255
    Caliber / Gauge 300 WSM
    Action Type Short Action
    Magazine Capacity 3
    Barrel Length 24"
    Nominal Overall Length 44"
    Nominal Length of Pull 13 1/2"
    Nominal Drop at Comb 9/16"
    Nominal Drop at Heel 7/8"
    Nominal Weight 7 lbs. 4 oz.
    Rate of Twist 1 turn in 10"
    Metal Finish Blued

(Chester County)

Default Re: Thoughts on the Winchester Model 70?

I would look at a pre 64 personally... Look for serial numbers under 700k. I am pretty sure that was the cut off without having to go look... One of the great rifles of all times.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by d90king View Post
    I would look at a pre 64 personally....
    So much for 'Don't need comparisons with another'

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
    So much for 'Don't need comparisons with another'
    My bad, wasn't trying to compare anything other than same rifle built during a different era, keeping a couple of the features that made it so great to begin with... Great rifle either way. Good luck with it.

There is just something about a Winchester...

(Westmoreland County)

If it's 2006 vintage or earlier it's probably an "XTR" and lacks the Mauser style claw extractor and controlled round feed. Adding insult to injury is the caliber.

The Model 70 is a classic. I concur with d90king. You should seek out a pre 64 in a classic magnum caliber.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by d90king View Post
    My bad, wasn't trying to compare anything other than same rifle built during a different era, keeping a couple of the features that made it so great to begin with... Great rifle either way. Good luck with it.

There is just something about a Winchester...
    its all good - no worries. Was offered one of what I listed above as payment for past work and was just wondering what you guys thought of it and the caliber. So its not like I have a option of this or that which is why I was not looking to compare to another.

(Luzerne County)

Winchester Model 70 is about the rifle equivalent of a Ford F150. There are many variations, some better than others, but overall generally accepted as a good piece of machinery.

Quote Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
    its all good - no worries. Was offered one of what I listed above as payment for past work and was just wondering what you guys thought of it and the caliber. So its not like I have a option of this or that which is why I was not looking to compare to another.
    The rifle will be fine, and is a nice piece. If you don't mind taking a rifle for the trade, I damn sure wouldn't pass on it. Sure everybody is hung up on the pre '64 rifles, that's what it's all about. They're still a pain in the butt if you ever decide to get a different bolt and have to have the extractor cut in bolt for it, and then in barrel too, lol. Controlled feed is a nice feature, but definitely not necessary; as others have said it's not on the post '64 models. I think it's funny because a Remington 700 is a very reliably feeding rifle, and they've never been control feed. Oh well, for some people that's what you gotta have and others it's not. I own pre and post 64 Model 70's, I like the pre '64 model 70's, but damn sure wouldn't pass on a post 64 model 70.

Keep in mind that any light sporter contour rifle that is chambered in a magnum caliber is going to recoil fairly brisk. This isn't to say that it's intolerable, but just realize it's probably not a hunting rifle that you're going to take out and shoot a box or more of shells at one time. It's not usually physically all that pleasant if they're not breaked (then they're so loud), and it's just damn expensive. I guess some people think it's an "insult to injury" to have a "new" model 70 that doesn't have the extractor and isn't control fed, to have it chambered in .300 WSM (a non traditional magnum). Either way, anybody that busts on the performance of the .300 WSM I will call fairly ignorant and narrow minded. I love my .300 WSM, it's VERY easy to load for, very reliable, and much more efficient than my .300 win mags. I still love .300 win mags, but I don't understand why people would be talking trash aboutthe .300 WSM. Either way, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the rifle, and if you don't mind having a magnum and think the rifle is a fair trade for your services, GO FOR IT. Obviously lots of others disagree, but that's my humble opinion. Great action, even if it's different from when it was in it's prime, and nothing wrong with the caliber.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    Controlled feed is a nice feature, but definitely not necessary; as others have said it's not on the post '64 models. I think it's funny because a Remington 700 is a very reliably feeding rifle, and they've never been control feed. Oh well, for some people that's what you gotta have and others it's not. I own pre and post 64 Model 70's, I like the pre '64 model 70's, but damn sure wouldn't pass on a post 64 model 70.
    I agree with this. I have owned a post 64 Model 70 in 308 since 1973 and have never had issue with the push feed. I hunt with it and it has always been reliable.

I also own a 1903 Springfield that is controlled feed. Smooth action, but more of a pain in the butt than the push feed because of the way you have to load and unload.... and having controlled feed for white tail hunting, where I do not reload with the gun upside-down has no point.... and I have never had a white tail attack me, so that second shot is not mission critical... like when a angry lion is charging. My model 70 has always reloaded reliably.

The Winchester model 70 is a great gun and I agree that is a good gun you are looking at.

Oh, and after I glass bedded the action and free floated the barrel it will do 1/2 MOA groups all day long.
    Last edited by coat4gun; August 30th, 2009 at 07:28 AM. Reason: added another thought.

(Bucks County)

Update - its here at its new home. Looks NIB. Very nice Walnut stock. Guy says about 10 rounds through it. As a added bonus its wearing a Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40 scope. I guess not too shabby to let go a $ 400 debt since the lowest I've seen on line is about $750 - $800 without a scope.

Question for the Pre 64 guys - it claims to have "CRF (controlled round feed) Pre-64 long extractor style bolt". Better?

And, how is the 300 WSM kick compared to say my 30-06 Savage 111?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast