Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default After years away, now interested in returning to the hunt.

As a young man, I hunted frequently; deer, turkey, varmint, etc. on a regular basis. Then I moved away from the country, got into school, traveled, started a career and family, etc. For no particular reason, hunting went to the wayside. I am now very much wanting to get back into hunting, especially deer hunting and, in addition to rifle hunting, I want to bow hunt, which I've never done. My son will be getting old enough to go in a couple of years, and I'd like to be able to introduce him to the hunt.

Problem is, I haven't hunted in almost 20 years, so none of my friends are hunters and I have no knowledge of the area. Although I could probably manage, I am a little hesitant to just jump in there, get a tag, pick a WMA, and strike out on my own. I'm thinking that I might make use of a private guided hunt for the first season or two so I can beef up on technique, refresh my "game" sense, and familiarize myself with some local areas. I've already registered for a Hunter Safety Course.

So, I have two questions;

1. Does this sound like a good approach or can you suggest an alternative method?
    2. Do you know a good guide service or camp in the eastern half of the state that can retrain an old hunter and is family oriented?

Thank for the input!

J

(Monroe County)

Default Re: After years away, now interested in returning to the hunt.

Honestly your best bet is going to be to just get right back on the horse and get out there, especially for archery season. You are probably to late to get any doe permits so you are really just going to be hunting for bucks
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Somerset County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    Honestly your best bet is going to be to just get right back on the horse and get out there, especially for archery season. You are probably to late to get any doe permits so you are really just going to be hunting for bucks
    Doe tags are still available in WMU 5C and 5D. 202 is the dividing line in your part of the county. Some other WMU's also, but they would involve traveling. The problem can be getting access to someplace to hunt. There are some Game Lands and State Parks in the area but they are heavily hunted, you probably won't have much success but at least you would be hunting.

A hunter-trapper ed course would be great refresher. I don't know if there are any available this late in the year.

The Pa Game Commission digest has lots of info in it, you can read it on their website.

Dredly is right, get back on the horse.

Hope this helps,

Dale

(Schuylkill County)

Just get back in the woods. I started hunting again last year after a 25 year absense. I got a fall turkey, an antlerless deer, and had a few buck opportunities that I didnt feel safe in taking the shot, so I passed. Had a few Spring turkeys but again not the shot I felt comfortable with. Could have taken some jakes but passed on them.

Just get back out!!!!!!!!!!!! It will all come back to you.

I don't know how much you would learn by going on a guided hunt. I think you would be better off spending that money on equipment, books, training. Do you need a gun? Have you practiced shooting lately? How familiar are you with firearms? If you haven't shot in yrs I would worry most about safety and becoming proficient with whatever you decide to hunt with.

Archery is not that hard to pick up but it takes practice and you'll need somebody to set you up with a bow that fits you and tune it for you also let you know what size arrows to buy. Find a good archery shop. Maybe somebody here can recommend one near you.

I found the biggest thing to hunting is time. Spend time reading about deer behavior, habitat, hunting styles and see what works best for you in your area. Then spend time in the woods. Walk around looking for sign, set up a stand where you see a lot and just go in before light and sit a few hrs and then in the afternoon til dark. You could also set out a motion sensor camera to take pictures while you're away.

If you're worried about getting lost get a GPS and also some topo maps of the area you're going to hunt. A GPS is an awesome tool. It really gives you a lot of confidence hunting new areas.

Hope this helps!
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.