Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Question iwb holster for s&w 638 .38

i'm looking for iwb holster for a smith and wesson model 638 revolver. anyone
    have any suggestions?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: iwb holster for s&w 638 .38

I recently purchhased a S&W 638 with the shrouded hammer for CC. I initially started with a DeSantis Insider. The pistol sits low in this holster, which is good and bad. Its good, because the handle is partially below the belt and is very easy to conceal. Also, a shirt is less likely to get snagged on the rubber grip of the revolver when the pistol sits low. The bad part about how low the revolver sits is that it's harder to get a good grip on the pistol to draw it. I think a little practice would go a long way, but personally I do not feel confident at this time that I can quickly/cleanly/reliably draw the weapon in an emergency. Don't get me wrong... I'll get it, but it just might take me an extra second or two. YMMV. Here's a link to the holster.

http://www.desantisholster.com/store...14&itm_index=0

I also have a pocket holster which I'm very pleased with. I do part-time camera work, and with a video camera or when holding and audio boom, you are on your feet and your arms are elevated and occupied. As a result, I can not rely on a shirt to conceal an IWB holster. That's why I bought one of these...

http://www.desantisholster.com/store...14&itm_index=0

I keep it in the front pocket of my cargo pants when I'm working. The revolver sits upright, and because of the shape and outer texture of the holster, I can reach into my front pocket, get a good grip on the pistol, and smoothly draw the revolver. In the store, I was concerned that I would draw the pistol in a Peter Sellers/Leslie Nielson fashion, holster and all. However, the holster itself will snag inside your pocket, not the pistol. Again, I'm very pleased with this holster and I feel confident that I can quickly get to my gun in an emergency. That's the good part about the pocket holster. The bad part is if you are slouching, crouching, or leaning back in a chair with your feet up, it seems like the pistol may be able to fall out of your pocket. It hasn't happened to me yet, but it is a concern I have and something to be aware of.

That's my 2-cents. Good luck.

(Allegheny County)

Lots of good IWB holsters these days,

Take a look at the F.I.S.T. ultra-thin kydex holsters, good price, very comfortable, easy to holster/re-holster properly. They have lots of different attachment options.

Good Luck on your choice

Otto
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Pike County)

The IWB holsters from Side Guard Holsters are top notch. I have them for J frames and K frames snubbies. I think there is a six week wait but well worth it. Price was around 60-70 bucks.

That's an awfully heavy weapon to be using for CC don't you think? I have several of them and would never consider them for concealed carry. In fact, just ordered a Sig P229R to try out for CC and have my doubts except that I love the Sig's reliability and accuracy. Lots seem to carry Glocks but too 'unsafe' for me with one in the chamber. And around and around I go. Hoping the Sigs might be the answer. Have been playing with Kimbers as well and while they are beautiful pieces, Im not sure Im ready to bet my life on them.

The other thing about the 686 is that you only have 6 rounds before you need to reload and the .38 is not a great self defense round... the .357 magnum is more like it and in fact is my round of choice along with the .40SW. I would carry a .45 (and do sometimes in colder weather) but we have size and weight issues again.

There are plenty of holsters to play around with. I would spend the bucks on high quality and especially if carrying IWB I would ensure that the mouth of the holster is reinforced with metal to keep it open so it doesn't collapse when the gun is removed. AND, with a gun of this weight you will want to invest in a really good gunbelt; one of those Kydex reinforced two layer jobs. Makes a big difference.

AND last but not least; if you are bent on carrying a revolver take a look at some of the smallest snubbies and a pocket holster; it save a lot of planning as far as clothing is concerned. I find that I tend to plan my clothing around the temperature and what I want to carry... or better put, I tend to carry what will fit under my clothing and sometimes that is a mistake as one tends to carry lighter loads in Spring and Fall and the efficacy of the round through leather clothing (for arguments sake) is significantly affected.

There is no perfect answer but I would just say one last thing about carrying a revolver holding 6 rounds... and that is that most gunfights will be over before you expend those six rounds. On the other hand, you don't want to be reloading while a higher than a kite whacko chases you down. I prefer to have at least ten plus one in the gun and two spare mags on my belt for a total of 31 rounds available and quick reloads. Just in case. And .357, .40, .45ACP (especially in +P loads) are my choice and the gun has to take the punishment.

Just my two cents worth. Love those 686's though! I have four of them.