Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Coworker: "I would never own a pistol without a safety!" What if you drop it?

I wore my holster into the building today (without the gun - not allowed )

One of my coworkers that has his LTCF and WV CC Permit was talking to me about it and we got around to talking about there being no external safeties on the Kahr (and a BUNCH of other guns I pointed out).

He at first uttered the quote in the title.

Then I explained about the striker blocking plate and how it prevented the striker from hitting the primer unless the trigger was FULLY depressed. He had not known that a lot of "newer" pistols have striker blocking plates.

I don't think I totally convinced him it was safe...ah well.

He also said - "Well what about drawing it?"

To which I replied "Booger hook off the bang switch until you are ready to shoot! No way should you be placing your finger in the trigger guard on a DRAW unless you want to shoot yourself!"

At least he and another coworker learned a little more about Kahrs and Glocks and other non-external safety striker fired pistols.
    Last edited by falcn; August 28th, 2009 at 03:06 PM.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Monroe County)

Default Re: "I would never own a pistol without a safety!" What if you drop it?

Great job on educating them. I think many people confuse a lack of external safety for no safety at all. Your also 100% correct that the booger hook should never be near the bang switch until it's time to rock and roll.

I love that part of Blackhawk Down in the mess tnt. A delta guy is getting chewed out for havign a hot weapon and he refers to his finger as his safety.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Coworker: "I would never own a pistol without a safety!" What if you drop it?

Booger hook is not the only thing that can make the gun go bang in a holster

Excess shirt tail
    Other Debris (stick, pencil, etc)

re-holster with a fist full of shirt in the holster...trapped in the trigger guard... BANG

Just an opposing opinion.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Coworker: "I would never own a pistol without a safety!" What if you drop it?

Quote Originally Posted by marinakorp View Post

Excess shirt tail

re-holster with a fist full of shirt in the holster...trapped in the trigger guard... BANG

This is one reason I like a grip safety. I never re-holster while holding the grip so there is no way it can fire, even if the trigger is pulled. I re-holster with my thumb behind the slide away from the back of the grip.

It is never a good idea to re-holster in a hurry no matter how you do it, IMHO. Draw as fast as you can, but always re-holster slowly and purposely. Harder to make a mistake when paying attention.

(Allegheny County)

In the holster? My finger can't make the gun go off in the holster, the trigger guard is fully covered when the gun is in any of the holsters I have for it.

Excess shirt tail

Where is said stick or pencil going to come from?

You're also addressing a different scenario than his original one, drawing the weapon, not reholstering. Drawing the weapon would be stroking the trigger in the direction opposite it needing to fire, so no discharge happening there.

Sure you can catch the trigger on something if you are not paying attention when reholstering, but I don't have big sticks poking me in the side. If I had a fistful of shirt in the holster the gun won't even go into the holster.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Jefferson County)

Some people will never be comfortable carrying a pistol without a manual safety. I like having a safety on pistols that are only for plinking (like .22LRs), but for a carry gun I think a manual safety is a good way to possibly potentially get killed while you fumble for it. That said, I'm always very conscious of what the gun is doing as I reholster it, since that should be your biggest safety concern. Like you said, keep your finger off the trigger unless you want to make it go boom.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by levib View Post
    Some people will never be comfortable carrying a pistol without a manual safety. I like having a safety on pistols that are only for plinking (like .22LRs), but for a carry gun I think a manual safety is a good way to possibly potentially get killed while you fumble for it. That said, I'm always very conscious of what the gun is doing as I reholster it, since that should be your biggest safety concern. Like you said, keep your finger off the trigger unless you want to make it go boom.
    Yeah my 22 pistol (Neos) has a safety - but it also has an almost negligent trigger pull. It's also nice for that gun since it is the one used most by the newer shooters.

I just found it really interesting that these two guys that have been into firearms longer than me (years for them) didn't know about DAO pistols with no external safeties.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Montgomery County)

Excess shirt tail

Don't forget- wearing a windbreaker with a drawstring at the bottom?

More than one LEO has managed to shoot themselves that way!

+1 for thumb on the rear of the slide and hand off the grip safety

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by levib View Post
    Just my 2 cents on this.

A manual safety will work each and every time and does NOT slow down the process of presentation through shot fired (barring any mechanical malfunction).

The safety is disengaged during the presentation just before sight alignment.

Training is key here. We should all have some. And then some more.

I carry Glock and Kahr together.

Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Philadelphia County)

I just carry a revolver.
    I have a Keltec P3AT, and no safety, Well like a revolver, Wont fire till trigger is pulled far back, But the revolver needs to turn the cylinder as well, So really hard to pull trigger even if it was exposed,,, Gotta turn wheel to work as well.
    Peter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast