• Winchester S40SWPDB1 PDX1

13 65.00%
  • Hornday Tap CQ 91325

7 35.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .40 JHP

(Schuylkill County)

Default .40 JHP

Simple question, I want everyone's opinion.. Which should I get for carry?

Winchester S40SWPDB1 PDX1

Hornady Tap CQ 91325

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I will be putting them through an XDM.40
    Last edited by NikeBauer21; August 27th, 2009 at 09:04 AM.
    III%

Default Re: .40 JHP

I went with the Winchester simply because I've got personal experience with how it shoots. I've used the SXT and PDX1s in .38 Special with very pleasing accuracy results, and my wife is carrying PDX1s in her RIA 1911 .45 because they also provided outstanding accuracy with, of course, flawless reliability. The only reason I'm not carrying them in mine, yet, is because I've not found any more to buy so I can test them. That, and the Federal 230 gr JHPs I am currently carrying gave me two inch groups... the PDX1s will have to beat that or come close before I replace the Federals, even though they are an older hollowpoint design.

The PDX1s have performed very well in testing, and in the .40S&W caliber you are asking about is the FBI's choice of ammo. Given their accuracy, their test results, and the effectiveness of the SXT round that preceeded them I think they are an outstanding choice.

After all that typing, though, no one here can pick the best round for you. You need to first establish reliability in your gun, then find the one/s that shoot closest to point of aim, then which one is most accurate, and of course these days availability is still an important factor. These two are only a couple of the several outstanding choices available, also including Golden Sabers and Gold Dots in the premium ammo crowd.
    Last edited by JoeWilliams; August 27th, 2009 at 08:56 AM.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Allegheny County)

Shoot whatever goes through your gun accurately and without failure.

(Schuylkill County)

Whichever shoots the best but if all things are equal, go for the Hornady, i have used these, and they have perfermend wonderful, there was only one that failed to open and that one went through a small hay bale and lodged into a 2x4, basically becme an FMJ other then that i love them.

(Philadelphia County)

http://www.americanrifleman.org/Webc...osolutions.pdf

They show the PDX1 against the Critical defense.
    However, the PDX1'a are the newest and greatest from winchester.

Short of Ranger T-series, I would go with the PDX1's They are state of the art!

And Joe Williams is correct. After much testing, the FBI standard issue ammo is the .40 PDX1's in 180grain.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWilliams View Post
    I went with the Winchester simply because I've got personal experience with how it shoots. I've used the SXT and PDX1s in .38 Special with very pleasing accuracy results, and my wife is carrying PDX1s in her RIA 1911 .45 because they also provided outstanding accuracy with, of course, flawless reliability. The only reason I'm not carrying them in mine, yet, is because I've not found any more to buy so I can test them. That, and the Federal 230 gr JHPs I am currently carrying gave me two inch groups... the PDX1s will have to beat that or come close before I replace the Federals, even though they are an older hollowpoint design.

The PDX1s have performed very well in testing, and in the .40S&W caliber you are asking about is the FBI's choice of ammo. Given their accuracy, their test results, and the effectiveness of the SXT round that preceeded them I think they are an outstanding choice.

After all that typing, though, no one here can pick the best round for you. You need to first establish reliability in your gun, then find the one/s that shoot closest to point of aim, then which one is most accurate, and of course these days availability is still an important factor. These two are only a couple of the several outstanding choices available, also including Golden Sabers and Gold Dots in the premium ammo crowd.
    That sums it up to what I wanted to say =)

I use Remington JHP.... Work fine for me... Shoot what your gun loves to eat...
    ΑΣΦ

(Schuylkill County)

I know I was a little vague in my OP... I want to know which you would prefer from a ballistic standpoint. As far as which do you like/trust/carry more?

Hope that clears up some questions. I realize that ultimately it comes down to what I want/need/feels right, but I wan't to know more from a ballistics standpoint. I've viewed some of the tests with them, but ultimately, they could be protecting my life, so I'd like some first hand opinions.
    III%

(Allegheny County)

I don't think the bad guy's entrance and exit wounds will care who makes the round. Worry about training to put good accurate shots on target quickly and efficiently. I'd focus on shot placement more than I would which of those two to pick. Stick to a good name that makes a good ammunition.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by NikeBauer21 View Post
    I know I was a little vague in my OP... I want to know which you would prefer from a ballistic standpoint. As far as which do you like/trust/carry more?

Hope that clears up some questions. I realize that ultimately it comes down to what I want/need/feels right, but I wan't to know more from a ballistics standpoint. I've viewed some of the tests with them, but ultimately, they could be protecting my life, so I'd like some first hand opinions.
    From a Ballistics standpoint, The FBI's choice is the PDX1.
    Good enough for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast