Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Despite gun bans, crime in Britain is thriving

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ay-Tories.html

A collapse of 'civilised life' has allowed a brutal drug and gun crime culture like that of the U.S. TV show The Wire to flourish on the streets of Britain, the Tories will warn today.
    Shadow home secretary Chris Grayling will blame Labour for standing by while 'urban war' breaks out in parts of the country.
    Carrying weapons is becoming the norm, violence is 'routine' and families are terrorised by gangs, he will say.

Gun crime is up by more than half and there are more than 100 serious knife crimes each day, with fatal stabbings having reached the highest level on record.

'The culture of violence that was a feature of U.S. cities a generation ago is now a feature of British cities,' Mr Grayling will say.
    'It's the world of the award-winning drama series The Wire. It's a horrendous portrayal of the collapse of civilised life and of human despair.'

The hit TV series tracks the nightmare of gangs and organised crime in inner city West Baltimore and the futile efforts of police to deal with it.
    The series, launched on cable channel HBO in 2002, and showing here on BBC2, has been lauded by critics for its incredibly bleak - and realistic - portrayal of life on the streets, where drugs, violence and revenge killings are commonplace.

Pledging a zero tolerance approach if the Tories are elected, Mr Grayling will
    say that any unlawful act including minor acts of vandalism should have 'clear consequences'.
    He will promise to stop those found with knives being let off with a caution, saying the presumption should be that they will face a custodial sentence.
    Cautions and light sentences in cases of violent attacks are also 'wholly wrong', Mr Grayling will say.

He will highlight new figures suggesting that the problem of drugs and crime has increased dramatically in virtually every one of Britain's most deprived
    communities. Of the top 25 most deprived local authorities, 22 have reported drug offences increasing in the past five years.
    In some areas the increase in drug crime has been massive. In Salford, offences are up 300 per cent and in Hackney more than 200 per cent.

Mr Grayling will speak of a 'shocking and enlightening' evening a few weeks ago on the beat with the police team in Manchester's Moss Side that works to tackle gang crime.
    'What was going on there at the time was nothing short of an urban war,' he will say. 'Whichever way you look, the evidence is clear. Under this Government, the poorest in our society have be left to beenar the brunt of our social failures.

'The deep-rooted culture of drugs and crime that was once a feature of fictional programmes like The Wire is now a reality on many of our streets.'
    Mr Grayling will accuse the Government of creating a 'downward spiral' in poor communities, in which deprivation and crime repeat themselves for generations. 'Family breakdown has reached a scale where many young people grow up with no vestige of stability in their lives, and no concept of a family-focused upbringing.

'They are exposed to drugs and alcohol at a ludicrously young age. They have no one to tell them right from wrong.'
    A Tory government would also reform the welfare system so 'it just isn't possible to build a life sitting at home on benefits any more'.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

Default Re: Despite gun bans, crime in Britain is thriving

Gun control hasn't worked anywhere it's been tried. For all the usual reasons, primarily the bad guys aren't law abiding enough to turn them in. It continues to astound me that anyone would think banning weapons will have a positive effect on crime. Well...I suppose it's a positive effect if your a criminal.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by ErSwnn View Post
    Gun control hasn't worked anywhere it's been tried. For all the usual reasons, primarily the bad guys aren't law abiding enough to turn them in. It continues to astound me that anyone would think banning weapons will have a positive effect on crime. Well...I suppose it's a positive effect if your a criminal.
    They go after the law abiding because it makes then seem tough and looklike they are trying.
    Plus the normal citizens are the only ones who will do as they are told. It seems like every time I think nothing else will surprise me some new atrocity happens. Wether it be a law or a crime and the reaction to it.
    Go ahead and punish the people carrying a knife to protect themselves. You won't make a difference to the gangs. But you can beat the general public into submission. Britain seems to have lost it's will to stand up to it's own government long ago. At least some of us still seem to have the sand to do it.
    Millions for defense, Not one cent for tribute!

(Berks County)

I read some of the comments.

Amazing how the US Gun Culture is identified as being like the HBO series in Baltimore.

<sarcasm>
    We all know that Maryland and Baltimore in particular is the perfect example of how the lack of gun control has forced society to go wild.
    </sarcasm>

Mr. Grayling would do well to watch season 3 of the series where we see that when District Commander Colvin establishes an area where drugs and prostitution are legal, the violence we usually see concurrent with such activities abates.

If society can just stop trying to prevent people from seeking pleasure and altering their consciousness, much of the violence would simply disappear.

(Monroe County)

Not much surprise here.

Let's see what is shows.

1) Gun control does not work, it's the criminal

2) People commit murder and assault without guns

3) Create a blackmarket for something and criminals step in to fill the void.

Thanks for the lesson England but this all seems pretty obvious to me.
    Last edited by ByAnyMeans; August 28th, 2009 at 06:24 PM. Reason: spelling

(Monroe County)

Well , Thats what happened in Canada, Australia, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Jamaica, you name it, anywhere law abiding citizens gun ownership are restricted , chaos follows.

In israel if youre Jewish you can pack a gun anytime no questions ask, in Cuba all ablebodied citizens can keep a AK under the bed, in Switzerland you can keep a full auto SIG under the bed, and the crime rate is?

When i lived in New York City up untill 2006 , i had a "pistol license" as they call it there so i never feel afraid or scared even when i traversed the dingiest of places because i were always armed, but what about the millions of people without a "pistol license" Dont they deserve the same amount of comfort and protection? Dont they have the same rights?

Iyts no coincident that the countries and states and towns with the toughest gun laws have the highest crime rates.

Now flame away!

Nymz

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    Well , Thats what happened in Canada, Australia, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Jamaica, you name it, anywhere law abiding citizens gun ownership are restricted , chaos follows.

In israel if youre Jewish you can pack a gun anytime no questions ask, in Cuba all ablebodied citizens can keep a AK under the bed, in Switzerland you can keep a full auto SIG under the bed, and the crime rate is?

When i lived in New York City up untill 2006 , i had a "pistol license" as they call it there so i never feel afraid or scared even when i traversed the dingiest of places because i were always armed, but what about the millions of people without a "pistol license" Dont they deserve the same amount of comfort and protection? Dont they have the same rights?

Iyts no coincident that the countries and states and towns with the toughest gun laws have the highest crime rates.

Now flame away!

Nymz
    You forgot to men tion that in Isreal if you can not afford a weapon the government will give you one. My kind of government.

(Bucks County)

[QUOTE=ByAnyMeans;874930]Not much surprise here.

Let's see what we is shows.

1) Gun control does not work, it's the criminal

2) People commit murder and assault without guns

3) Create a blackmarket for something and criminals step in to fill the void.

Thanks for the lesson England but this all seems pretty obvious to me.[/QUOTE]

That's because your IQ is above 4 !!

(Allegheny County)

Gun control does NOT equal Criminal control.

So rather than the politicians actually having to do something constructive to actually control criminals, they can blame inanimate objects, pass a law that will do nothing to stop criminals, they get to be the heros, they don't care if it really works or the cost to the victims forced to disarm.

Criminals don't obey the laws, so the laws about firearms or any law Only apply to people who obey the laws. Otherwise the laws against murder, rape, robbery would have stopped these offensives long ago. So just passing a law "to do something", doesn't work or provide a deterrent to the lawless.

So when the laws are violated the only choice is to use the enforce the penalties phase prescribed in the law, yet it’s seldom used to send a message to the rest of the criminals that we are serious. So they get a plea bargain deal and a slap on the wrist what’s the lesson learned?

Also there is the Unintended Consequences damages of gun control laws let the lawless prey on their victims much easier.
    Who is held accountable for this result?
    Why can't you sue the people who let the criminal go the last time they where caught with just a slap on the wrist? Where is their accountabilty?

Combine this victim disarmament zones with the lack of political will to aggressively enforce the penalty under all of the gun control laws against repeat violent criminals you have a country where NO ONE is safe from criminals.

How mnay citizens, how many police have to die till this truth is finally understood?

Controlling criminals by using the lock is the key to crime control . Not the revolving door of injustice of the catch and release policy, not spy cameras everywhere, not control over legal guns, not controlling law abiding Citizens lives, JUST CONTROL CRIMINALS rather than playing the PC blame game.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast