Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Perry County)

Default Magazine question

I just got replacement base pads for 2 of my 14 rd. CZ P-01 mags. They are Mec-Gar mags which as I understand it, is who makes the factory mags for CZ anyway. I replaced them easily enough but I think something may not be quite right afterwards. I haven't shot the gun yet, but I did put the mag in and cycled the slide a few times. Sometimes it seems that the rounds don't want to go into the chamber properly and catch on something. It could just be me not pulling the slide back far enough every time. Also, if I cycle a round into the chamber and then release the mag, the mag kind of hangs up in the mag well and doesn't drop free. When I pull it out, the 1st round is pushed outward a little bit and this is what is causing the mag to hang up when dropping. This happens even if I only load 13 rds. instead of 14 also.

this happens with both mags. the mags that came with the gun seem to work ok, but I haven't changed anything there.

I don't recall it doing this before replacing the base pads, but I haven't shot the gun recently. I put the old base pads back on and it does the same thing.

Any ideas what might be happening?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Magazine question

Could you have put the mag springs in wrong? Also, what replacement basepads did you get - the rubber & steel ones?

(York County)

I believe Dirksterg30 might be correct. Take your magazines apart and
    see if they have been assembled incorrectly. Check the magazine followers
    also for proper placement. Make sure the magazine floor plates have been
    attached correctly to the magazine spring. I have made this mistake more
    than once in several years. I also like to use "Dummy Rounds" To check
    function of the magazine spring, follower, feeding, and extracting the
    release of the magazine to ensure it drops clear of the pistol without getting
    hung up.
    FUNDAMENTALS

"All that is needed for Evil to Prevail is for Good Men to
    do Nothing"

(Perry County)

I don't think I put them back together wrong. I didn't even remove the springs or followers the 1st time I took them apart - just swapped the base pads.
    I only completely took the spring out of the one mag the 2nd time because I didn't hold it quite right and it flew across the room.

basically its base pad, metal plate, spring, follower. The metal plate hooks onto the spring via a small loop on the plate. I didn't even remove this at all.

The pads I got are the steel and rubber ones from the CZ store. They seem nice and add a little extra grip to the gun too. Sucks that they're $9.00 each at the CZ store. Anyone know where you can get them cheaper?

(Perry County)

i took apart one of the factory mags that worked fine to see how it went together and after putting it back together it seems to be doing the same thing now too. I made sure I put it back in exactly as I took it out.

This doesn't make sense.
    Last edited by WWGunslinger; August 27th, 2009 at 12:33 PM.

(Jefferson County)

I'm not familiar with those magazines specifically, but are the springs supposed to fit around a spring guide on the follower, base pad, or both? If the edge of the spring is catching on one, it can make the magazine behave oddly besides not allowing you to load it fully.

Good luck!

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by levib View Post
    I'm not familiar with those magazines specifically, but are the springs supposed to fit around a spring guide on the follower, base pad, or both? If the edge of the spring is catching on one, it can make the magazine behave oddly besides not allowing you to load it fully.

Good luck!
    The spring fits around a tab on the follower and then the floor plate has a small loop of metal and you put the end of the spring through it.
    I can fully load the mag.

Because you're so certain that you put these magazines back together again correctly, it must be something else. Try this: Tap the base of an empty magazine against something hard like a carpeted floor. (One or two taps is enough.) Load the magazine to full capacity. After it's loaded, tap it again. Then take the pistol out and shoot it.

It should work. If it doesn't you're going to have to check the inside of the magazine and the follower for burrs or small obstructions - especially around the magazine release notch. If all else fails try very slightly raising the angle of the top spring coil.

Before you do this make certain that you haven't inadvertently reversed the magazine spring. You can check this by simply reversing the way the spring is presently installed and checking its performance before you go any further.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by G21.45 View Post
    Because you're so certain that you put these magazines back together again correctly, it must be something else. Try this: Tap the base of an empty magazine against something hard like a carpeted floor. (One or two taps is enough.) Load the magazine to full capacity. After it's loaded, tap it again. Then take the pistol out and shoot it.

It should work. If it doesn't you're going to have to check the inside of the magazine and the follower for burrs or small obstructions - especially around the magazine release notch. If all else fails try very slightly raising the angle of the top spring coil.

Before you do this make certain that you haven't inadvertently reversed the magazine spring. You can check this by simply reversing the way the spring is presently installed and checking its performance before you go any further.
    i've tried reversing the spring and it just looks completely wrong. I went ahead and put it in that way anyway but got the same results. i've tried tapping the magazine, both sides, no difference. tried the spring upside down but it won't work because the base end of the spring is wider than the top end of the spring and won't fit.

i'll try completely cleaning it tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by WWGunslinger View Post
    I just got replacement base pads for 2 of my 14 rd. CZ P-01 mags. They are Mec-Gar mags which as I understand it, is who makes the factory mags for CZ anyway.

I replaced them easily enough but I think something may not be quite right afterwards. I haven't shot the gun yet, but I did put the mag in and cycled the slide a few times. Sometimes it seems that the rounds don't want to go into the chamber properly and catch on something.

It could just be me not pulling the slide back far enough every time. Also, if I cycle a round into the chamber and then release the mag, the mag kind of hangs up in the mag well and doesn't drop free. When I pull it out, the 1st round is pushed outward a little bit and this is what is causing the mag to hang up when dropping.

This happens even if I only load 13 rds. instead of 14 also. This happens with both mags. the mags that came with the gun seem to work ok, but I haven't changed anything there. I don't recall it doing this before replacing the base pads, but I haven't shot the gun recently. I put the old base pads back on and it does the same thing.

Any ideas what might be happening?
    OK, internet gun repairs, you got 'a love 'um! If I understand you correctly: The magazines that came with the pistol work OK; it's your replacement Mec-Gar magazines that seem to be the problem.

Mec-Gar, an Israeli company, is one of the largest magazine manufacturers in the world. Still, while their top-of-the-line magazines are always superlative, there is a wide variation in the quality of their lower-end stuff. Some of their cheaper magazines work well, but not all of them. Some have problems with the mag bodies; (Think, US Army!) and others need the springs replaced with something better like Wolff Gunsprings.

The first thing you need to do is SHOOT the pistol. Under the stresses of normal recoil these magazines may be fine. If everything else checks out then you might need to slightly tighten the magazine lips. (This is a job for someone who has a mandrel and knows what he's doing.) Once, while I was in a situation similar to your own, I called Mec-Gar and sent them the magazines. They are an excellent company to deal with.

Sometimes the type of ammunition you are using will allow the top round to slip forward more easily; or, a weak magazine spring will do exactly the same thing. (For whatever it's worth, ALL of my semiautomatic pistol magazines are fitted with Wolff Gunsprings.)

The final thing I'll offer is that nothing means nothing until you actually fire the gun - OK. Good luck to you.
    Last edited by G21.45; August 28th, 2009 at 07:59 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast