Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Glock - Whats the Appeal?

Ok so i feel like a fish out of water here. I own, thus far, 3 firearms and all are Beretta. however im not seeing too many others.

it seems like, when it comes to handguns, almost everyone has one or more Glocks. Im wondering whats the appeal? Im not saying Glock Or Beretta one is better than the other, im just curious as to why it seems everybody and thier mother owns a glock.

personally im not a big fan of the squared off design; doesnt seem to fit in my hand as much as it should. whats your thoughts on it?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Glock - Whats the Appeal?

I hate Glock.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Too-Tall View Post
    Ok so i feel like a fish out of water here. I own, thus far, 3 firearms and all are Beretta. however im not seeing too many others.

it seems like, when it comes to handguns, almost everyone has one or more Glocks. Im wondering whats the appeal? Im not saying Glock Or Beretta one is better than the other, im just curious as to why it seems everybody and thier mother owns a glock.

personally im not a big fan of the squared off design; doesnt seem to fit in my hand as much as it should. whats your thoughts on it?
    What's the appeal of a Shar Pei?

(Cambria County)

First pistol to have a very reliable reputation. (First "plastic" pistol too, so it got a reputation that way)

There are now many others that in my opinion are just as reliable and just as good. But Glock was the first. And so they have the longest standing reputation.

Some love the grip angle, some don't. I don't care for it. One reason I don't care much for them.

I really do think they are ugly, and I for one prefer a pistol that not only looks good, but functions well too. What can I say.... Glocks are ugly, and the people who like em, like that about them.

But they are one heck of a good gun...

P.S.
    Don't tell anyone I said this. I have a reputation as a Glock Basher on here and I hate to ruin that.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Northampton County)

Glocks are okay pistols, but when they grow up they turn into Springfield XD's and become excellent pistols.

(Allegheny County)

they are among the most reliable semi-auto pistols ever made. the glock 17, in particular, is probably *the* most reliable semi-auto pistol ever made.

they are extremely forgiving of neglect and abuse. you could seriously get away with never, ever cleaning them. google "glock torture test" to see all the crazy things people have done to them, and they just keep on tickin'.

they are extremely tolerant of harsh conditions...and just keep on tickin'.

they will eat just about any ammo you put in them.

they just plain do not ever rust.

they are lightweight.

they have a high capacity.

they are extremely simple to use...just point and shoot.

they are an extremely simple design. you can completely take it apart (not just field strip it) and put it back together in a matter of minutes using nothing but a strong paper clip.

the trigger, while not 1911 quality, is much better than most double-action triggers.

they have a low bore axis.

i personally like the grip angle and the size of the grip, but that is purely subjective.
    F*S=k

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by SlimShady View Post
    Glocks are okay pistols, but when they grow up they turn into Springfield XD's and become excellent pistols.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Cumberland County)

Nobody cries if their Glock gets scratched up, But they do if their 1000.00+ Sig does.
    “They that plow iniquity and sow wickedness shall reap the same.” Job 4:8 ... III% OK

(Lebanon County)

Over the years I have owned a variety of handguns, both semi and revolver, from many different brands. I have never owned one I wasn't satisfied with. When I started getting back into things after a +/- 7 year hiatus I was facing the possibility that I might only be able to get a single handgun before things fell apart both for me personally and for the nation at large (I'm a big Austrian School Economics fan and have been expecting a depression for a bit).

I talked to people I know who have gone in harms way for Uncle Sam, and some then professionally for other entities, and who themselves associate with people who go in harms way. They all swore by, trust their lives to, and recommend Glock.

Had I not known any such people I would not have felt uncomfortable with a Ruger, S&W, Beretta, Llama, Auto Ordnance, Star, etc, etc, etc.
    If you don't know who your state legislators are go here:
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/index.cfm
    put your zip plus 4 in the box in the upper right hand corner.

(Berks County)

They wont win any beauty contests that's for sure lol

Now that I have 2 this is why I own them:

1. Ease of maintenance. All it takes is a punch and you can totally dissassemble it and service the parts inside.

2. Magazine availbity: Glock mags can be found anywhere in the US and the price is within reason.

3. THEOTWAWKI Time: Most police departments use them, so that does speak to the simplicity and reliability of the design. So picking up spare mags and ammo is easier as it is a common firearm among LEO and zombies alike.

4. Multiple Caliber Options: While a bit hard to find now, they do have 22 cal conversions for the glock family, so it gives you the option of training with the glock or having a plinker with just a slide change and the 22 cal mags. Also depending on the glock model you can go multi caliber with just a magazine and barrel change. This does not apply to the 9mm family of glocks, but the other caliber ones.

5. Parts: Unlike other gun makers you can get aftermarket or factory issued parts locally, at a gun show or through the internet. Too bad some gun makers haven't figured this out yet.

What I don't like about Glocks.

1. They are ugly, and I mean two bagger ugly.

2. Stock trigger pull weight and feel is one step above grit, gravel and broken glass.

3. Grip angle is not as comfortable as a 1911 or Hi Power and the grip angle cannot be changed unlike a FNP or a S&W M&P with the changeable back strap feature. If you are used to shooting the 1911 pattern it will take time to adjust to the grip angle.

If it fits your hand and you can carry it then go for the Glock, if not there are now other options out there.
    gotta love her ;)

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast