Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Looking at buying my first gun...

I'm sure I'll hear a lot on this but I was looking for opinion on the S&W sigma 9mm. This will be the first gun I buy. I was looking at it due to the price (since I dont have tons to spend on a pistol), it seems like a relatively easy carry, I grew up with S&Ws so I love the brand. I know it has a harder trigger pull, and to be honest I've never shot one...dont know anyone who has one to shoot it. I also looked at the M&Ps but according to the pricing that about an extra $200, though I do like the feel of them. I'm sure if I do enough shooting the trigger pull wont be an issue. Anyone have any opinions on it? Add appreciate the advice. Thanks

(Mercer County)

Default Re: Looking at buying my first gun...

You're right...there are many who will knock the Sigma. Personally, I like it - I was thinking about one myself. Then I spotted the Stoeger Cougar (made by Beretta), which can be had in 9mm or 40-cal. You can find them all day for under $400.

All told, it just fit in my hand better, too.

For info on the gun, here are a couple good articles that I used in my research:

http://www.handgunsmag.com/featured_...ougarb_071807/

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/cs/Sat...For+An+Old+Cat

(York County)

if you're looking for a cheap ccw 9mm then take a look at the new Taurus Slims or a Kel-Tec PF9 too. If you can't shoot em then at least hold each one to see if you're comfortable with the way it feels in hand. If it's just a range toy, car gun, etc.. then get whatever you desire.

(Berks County)

I own one and it is a cheaply made gun. It feels really shitty, but it has never given me any problems. They are as accurate as any other automatic that I have shot and they are cheap. Take this advise though save your money and buy a Glock or a Springfield you will be happier in the long run. Pm me if you seriously want to but a slightly used one and I will buy the Glock or Springfield because I have regretted it ever since.

(Philadelphia County)

Try the old shooting range test drive. I'm sure there has to be a decent shop that'll let ya shoot a few rounds to try it out.

Marry you, and ruin it all ? I say let's play in sin. ~Michele
    Do ya like warm oil massages ?~Me
    As long as it's gun oil.~Michele

Buy an SKS, still in Cosmoline.

Then invite Shakey over to show you how to clean it.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    Buy an SKS, still in Cosmoline.

Then invite Shakey over to show you how to clean it.
    O.K., first thing you'll need is limited patience, and a cat......

Marry you, and ruin it all ? I say let's play in sin. ~Michele
    Do ya like warm oil massages ?~Me
    As long as it's gun oil.~Michele

My 2¢:

First handle a large selection on handguns to see what 'feels' right in your hand.

After selecting the best fit [without loading or putting your finger on the trigger] aim at a distant point [maybe 25' or so] then close your eyes, lower the firearm, then raise it back to where you 'feel' it to be back on target.

Open your eyes, how much adjustment was needed to get back on target?

Try it with another model...

It doesn't mater what quality the manufacture has if you can't get it on target.

Disclaimer: During this process make sure to practice safety procedures.

If God didn't intend us to have guns why would he have given us a trigger finger?

(Monroe County)

I have a second gen . Sigma .40 compact, excellent gun , never had a FAILURE OF ANY KIND , OWNED SINCE 96', never let me down , shoots anyting i put in it including cheap reman ammo. Nice Novak sights, easy to see, i cant get it to shoot tighter than 2 inches at the 25 yard mark, but then again 2 inches is sufficient for a combat/self defence gun. If you spend $10 on a wolf spring kit the trigger can be as nice as a Glock and i own 3 Glocks.

To be honest with you i would take a Sigma over a M&P or XD anytime.

Another inexpensive super reliable gun you should look at is a Ruger P-89, super reliable and over engineered with all heat treated stainless steel internal parts.
    Again i cant get mine to shoot better than 2 inches at 25 yds. but thats good enough.

If you step up to a Glock , SIG , Berreta, HK , you must expect to pay way over $500.

Nyman

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by MrBi11 View Post
    My 2¢:

First handle a large selection on handguns to see what 'feels' right in your hand.

After selecting the best fit [without loading or putting your finger on the trigger] aim at a distant point [maybe 25' or so] then close your eyes, lower the firearm, then raise it back to where you 'feel' it to be back on target.

Open your eyes, how much adjustment was needed to get back on target?

Try it with another model...

It doesn't mater what quality the manufacture has if you can't get it on target.

Disclaimer: During this process make sure to practice safety procedures.
    Most shooters use their sights to hit a target.

You will learn to use something. Just because you weren't born with pistol shooting muscle memory programed already, doesn't mean you'll never be able to shoot well.

"Feel" is an entirely subjective, misleading input. It will evolve with time, and experience. A junky gun might "feel" good in the hand, but suck to shoot with.

As for the Sigma, they're a good value...but pretty much everyone will want to get rid of them after a while.

The Sigma will work fine for a while, but if you buy it, plan on purchasing a second pistol, later. They are certainly more trustworthy than other models at that price point, so don't feel like you're buying an un-reliable gun...but there is a reason why they don't sell for as much as the M&P's do.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast