Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default CLOSE QUARTERS FIGHTING WITH A HAND GUN

Randy Cain is returning to Pittsburgh on September 18, 19 and 20 to do a course on close-quarters fighting with a hand gun. Enrollment on this one is open until September 11.

In reality, I think ALL fighting any of us will ever do with a hand gun will be at "close quarters" (by which I mean inside seven yards). Indeed, it is likely to be a contact distance (within on step and a grab). 50 yard shots will impress your friends at the range (I know I've been impressed), but are not actually related to the function of a defensive hand gun. Carrying for personal defense contemplates an unexpected emergency in close quarters.

Think you have it knocked because you are fast?

I have found that Randy is particularly well suited for this kind of course, due to his strong martial arts background.
    This is not suggest that one needs a martial arts background to take this course. Rather, it means Randy knows what happens when someone standing four feet away decides to try and knock your head off, and what it takes to get out of that kind of situation in once piece.

Those who seek to substitute equipment for competence - both sellers and buyers - elide the fact that initial resort to one's gun will leave one well armed and effectively helpless. This course is for adults.

Here is a course description:

CLOSE QUARTERS DEFENSE / HAND GUN
    Randy Cain – September 18 – 20, 2009
    Pitcairn-Monroeville Sportsman’s Club - 505 Mosside Boulevard [Rt. 48] North Versailles, PA
    -----------------------------------------------

Even the fastest shooters need a second - usually a second-and-a-half. Add the element of surprise and a cover garment, and most of us need three.

The problem is, if we are ever confronted with the kinds of problems we hope to address by carrying a concealed hand gun, we won’t have a second. We have to buy that time, or our firearms skills are irrelevant.

Training for accuracy and speed are, of course, important. But we cannot lose site of the fact that if we are ever actually called upon to defend ourselves with a hand gun it will be a surprise, our adversary will be no more than six steps away (probably closer) and may be coming at us in a rush. We know this both as a matter of logic and as a matter of experience.

If you were given notice there was going to be a life-threatening confrontation at a given time and place, you would do your utmost to be elsewhere. Armed robbers, assassins or lunatics do not announce their intentions in advance, and random violence is, by definition, not planned. Therefore, to one degree or another, the attack will come as a surprise.

By every available indication (statistical, empirical, historical or anecdotal) gun fights occur at distances of seven yards or less. In fact, the most commonly used weapons are edged weapons and clubs, which can only be used at “hand shake” distances. Therefore, the problem will be “in your face.”

This course will address the use of efficient foot work, warding techniques, weapon retention and counter-retention (disarms) to buy time and create distance in the face of a sudden, armed assault at contact distance. The objective is to enable one to avoid disabling injury long enough get his gun out of the holster.

Cost: $475. This includes range fees, targets, range supplies and handouts. Students to provide their own ammunition, personal gear and meals. (No member discounts apply to this course.)

Instructor: Rangemaster will be Randy Cain. Mr. Cain is the Director of Cumberland Tactics, Inc. He has nearly two decades of professional firearms training experience, and holds a very rare "Instructor Certification" with Yavapai Firearms Academy. He is a former Rangemaster at the prestigious Gunsite Academy in Arizona, and has assisted Jeff Cooper in the highly acclaimed "Masters Series" classes at Gunsite. Mr. Cain is a registered NRA Police Firearms Instructor, has served as a police officer, SWAT team member and Training Officer. He is a graduate of the FBI Advanced SWAT School, is a member of the International Association of Law Enforcement Firearms Instructors (IALEFI). More information is available at www.guntactics.com.

Equipment Required: 400 rounds of ammunition; inert, plastic training gun that fits your carry gear; a pair of heavy leather work gloves (to protect the hands when pistols are forcibly stripped).

Class size: Enrollment limited to 20 students. Last day to enroll is September 11, 2009.

Prerequisites: There is not enough time to teach students to draw safely or shoot accurately in this course. It is expected that the student has already reached a level of basic proficiency before enrolling. A handgun class from either Cumberland Tactics or any of the other trainers to which Cumberland Tactics links will suffice, but
    You must be at least 18 years old, and proof of no criminal history is required. (Criminal history procedures are outlined in the enrollment materials.)

For Course Details, Directions, Equipment Requirements and Enrollment Materials visit www.fireinstitute.org or www.guntactics.com

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: CLOSE QUARTERS FIGHTING WITH A HAND GUN

I should know by next Wednesday if I can attend this or not.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    I should know by next Wednesday if I can attend this or not.
    checks in the mail !

(Allegheny County)

are we 9-5 all three days ?