Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Gold Cup National Match foundling, or ...

... dang, but I just gotta stay out of freakin' Gander Mountain in Dickson City. I mean, I live on the other end of the Northeast Extension, so it shouldn't be that hard, right?

Hating safe queens as much as I do, there's something comforting about a fairly stock Gold Cup National Match that already has an idiot mark on the frame and a screwed-up, stained grip panel from the misapplication of Hoppe's or some other such solvent. Seriously, all the tedious, worrisome work of waiting for "pistol trauma" has already been done for me, and I can just shoot it as is and not have to worry about anything except for grip, posture, breathing, trigger, and a good sight picture (like that isn't enough).

Anyway, would you leave it as is, a slightly ratty target pistol, or would you take it to somebody and have it set up for practical competition or carry?

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Gold Cup National Match foundling, or ...

Colt National Matches are my favorite. So much so I very rarely turn one away when I see them now. NM's are shooters so shoot it. So lets see what yours looks like? Can't be all that bad. Here are a couple of mine.

I'll share when I get back up there to pick it up. The wife was at Borders waiting on me and I had neither the COH nor the time to do all the paperwork necessary to walk with it there and then.

It's a blued model, 1987 mfg. Everything seems to be original, with the exception of the one magazine that comes with it, a SA. I don't think that the rear sight is an Eliason, as it doesn't have that across it, as I've seen that they do. The whole sight set-up is three dot, with two small dots to the rear and a dot on the front ramp that almost seems elliptical. Could it be some sort of an Accro?

I priced tritium replacement for it, including a dovetailed front — Tooltech only wants $368 for it with parts and labor. Still, I imagine that that would be cheaper than having the slide redone to put someone else's cut into it if I wanted to go that route and make it something other than a pure target model.

When I felt how easily it let off and how little creep there was I was entranced. One thing I didn't check for (stupidly) was whether or not it would hold half-cock. I know that some bullseye shooters like to eliminate it so I may have fallen in love with someone's WECSOG mistake. I guess that's why we have gunsmiths, right?

(Westmoreland County)

I've never seen a good price at Gander Mountain. Are you sure you want to buy it. And still put extra bucks into it. I know a Gold Cup is hard to pass up. It probably won't be there when you go back.

Quote Originally Posted by bert View Post
    I've never seen a good price at Gander Mountain. Are you sure you want to buy it. And still put extra bucks into it. I know a Gold Cup is hard to pass up. It probably won't be there when you go back.
    Yeah, I'm sure, and it's already spoken for.

(Lackawanna County)

Elliason adjustable rear sight would have been what this NM came with also a wide groove adjustable trigger and an undercut front sight not to mention hand honed internals. The trigger on these are what keeps me coming back for more. This is what all others are based on in my opinion. Can ya tell they are my favorite..

(Philadelphia County)

Plain simple GCNM.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by pred View Post
    Is that a "Trophy" model, or is it just the more modern wrap-around rubber grips?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by King 5.45 View Post
    Is that a "Trophy" model, or is it just the more modern wrap-around rubber grips?
    Those are the older ones. These are the newer ones...

Older version on a Delta Gold Cup

(Lackawanna County)

Like that Delta!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast