Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AK-74 accuracy?

(Philadelphia County)

Default AK-74 accuracy?

How does it compare to an AK-47 and/or an AR-15?

Thinking of buying a Tantal but won't bother if the accuracy isn't more than marginally better than that of the AK-47 since I already have one of the latter.

If not, any suggestions for a reasonably-priced semi-auto carbine/rifle that is more accurate than an AK but more reliable than an AR? The jams and misfeeds on the AR platform are pissing me off, would like a more robust and reliable, yet accurate carbine-- something I don't have to worry about obsessively cleaning or getting just the right kind of mags for, just for it to run reasonably well. Not looking to break the bank with a RobArms XCR or anything like that.
    "When law becomes despotic, morals are relaxed, and vice versa."-- Honore de Balzac, The Wild Ass's Skin...huh, huh..Balzac...Wild Ass...huh, huh

(Delaware County)

Default Re: AK-74 accuracy?

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene V. Debs View Post
    something I don't have to worry about obsessively cleaning
    Although I really like my Tantal, all of the surplus 5.45 ammo on the market right now is corrosive, and you need to clean them pretty quickly after shooting, or they'll rust.

5.45mm is supposed to be pretty accurate though, moreso than 7.62x39 anyway. I've only used mine on a 25 yard range, with iron sights though.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene V. Debs View Post
    How does it compare to an AK-47 and/or an AR-15?

Thinking of buying a Tantal but won't bother if the accuracy isn't more than marginally better than that of the AK-47 since I already have one of the latter.

If not, any suggestions for a reasonably-priced semi-auto carbine/rifle that is more accurate than an AK but more reliable than an AR? The jams and misfeeds on the AR platform are pissing me off, would like a more robust and reliable, yet accurate carbine-- something I don't have to worry about obsessively cleaning or getting just the right kind of mags for, just for it to run reasonably well. Not looking to break the bank with a RobArms XCR or anything like that.
    Wish in one hand ...

5.56 ammo isn't a bargain and is an iffy proposition in the AK. 7.62x39 is relatively expensive, although both non corrosive and corrosive are available.

My suggestion? Embrace the need to clean and shoot 5.45. Understand that the odds would have been on the pointy end of a shooting war that worrying about the effects of corrosive ammo would have been the last thing on peoples' minds. Since you aren't in an armed conflict (presumably) you have the luxury of giving your 5.45-chambered long arms a nice soapy, warm bath after shooting them, and if that ever changes, you probably won't outlast your piece, anyway.

(Chester County)

If I was going for the poison pill I would go this route...This is from a thread I started when the rifle was released. They can be bought for less than the ad says. If its your only AK buy a 7.62x39... If you are adding another toy it could be a fun rifle to shoot. If you dont already own a AR then get one of those tooooo.

Just a friendly heads up for the AK nuts amongst us. This is the real deal, built in the Izhmash factory by Legion (the custom shop). For those looking for the real deal in 5.45X39 here's your chance at a real Russian. Poison pill anyone?

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.ph...cat=350&page=1
    I would expect 2.5 inches or better off a mag at 100. You could be surprised that with some work that you will break the 2" mark... A good milled 7.62X39 is just as accurate though.. The AR will be slightly more accurate overall...
    Last edited by d90king; August 24th, 2009 at 08:41 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Check the classifieds for an assortment of such rifles, like the parts-FAL or a Saiga. My 16" 7.62x39 Saiga shoots like it uses guided bullets. And bone-stock it is actually an attractive rifle.

The .308 Saigas are affordable to buy, and probably shoot just as well.

It you really want a 5.45 AKM, look for a WASR2 as they have the original Romy chrome-lined bbls, have no idea if Century Tantals do or not, as they are built with US bbls like the Cent Yugos.

(Butler County)

+1 for the saiga i have a .308 and it shoots like a dream gotta get a scope on it some time to really see what kind of groups i can get. i know they just released a 5.45 version too if if that was the way you wanted to go might want to look into that i'm sure it would shoot great.

(Chester County)

If I was going .308 in an AK platform it would have to be a Vepr or Tiger...

(York County)

just got back to pooofa after the weekend, Eugene seems to have had a bad range day....?

whats your AR doing buddy? maybe we can help.
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

(Lebanon County)

the century tantals are a big crap shoot. i've heard there have been at least three different barrels used, and only one of them is the right one.

the wz88 is a good time though, if you get one from somebody other than cai.
    yeah, i've heard that some shoot just fine. but i don't like to gamble with my monies.

i went with interarms. at least at the time i bought mine(not quite a year ago) they were using parts kits that had their barrels. the polish barrels are chrome lined. at the time it was only about $100 more than a cai, now it's closer to $200 off.

i haven't shot much paper with mine, just enough to get it where i wanted it. but it has no problem hitting the steel i want it too.
    the 5.45 is a pleasure to shoot, and is still pretty cheap.
    throw that ar in the dumpster and move on.
    Last edited by brian; August 24th, 2009 at 08:16 PM.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Monroe County)

My converted Saigas (7.62x39) will group on playing cards from 100 yards with a cheap 4 x power scope. With a 6 x posp scope I can group on post-it notes at a 100 yards.
    WAKE UP OR WACO!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast