Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (York County)

some info given to me if interested...hope it helps anyone affected...

If you know anybody who may be affected by this event, please send them to AnnualCreditReport.com. The three credit-reporting companies will provide you with a free report once every 12 months. Note: I believe there are some variations between the statistics reported, so you may want to do all three at once instead of spacing them at 4-month intervals. If you're concerned about the credibility of that site, look at this Federal Trade Commission document.
    Last edited by rev214; October 6th, 2006 at 02:14 PM.
    FOAC * GOA * SAF * NRA Life Member

(Berks County)

Default Re: ALERT: Permit Holders in Berks County

Supposedly, letters were supposesd to go out to all those whose names were on the list at the time it was distributed to Canon, to inform them that their personal information may be at risk of exploitation.

I've only been a permit for about 6 months, so I'm trying to determine if I was affected. The response I got from the Sheriff's Office last week was, "Wait for the letter".

Did any LTC holders in Berks get a letter yet? I haven't yet received one.

(Berks County)

I received mine, and I was a permit holder for the past 4 years.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by SigForLife View Post
    I received mine, and I was a permit holder for the past 4 years.
    Thanks for the info, Sig. I asked because given that I've only been a permit holder for a few months, I was told on the phone I "may" not have been a permit holder at the time the list was distributed to Canon.

Of course, when I flat out asked them if they could just tell me whether or not I was affected, they said "Wait for the letter". Great. Woo Hoo.

Now I have to hope one doesn't come in the mail today...

(Berks County)

I would call them up and specifically ask again. I woudl point out with all the problems with the US Mail, you might never receive said letter. There should be NO issue in tellign you whether you were or were not in the group. If they deny it, call up your Representatives....

(Berks County)

Got mine.

:sigh:

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    To be fair Sig, we really don't know if it would have been possible for Canon to do their job without a sampling of actual database entries. The only way to know this would be to either a) ask the Sheriff's Office (which I didn't), b) ask Canon, or c) be a Canon employee working on this project.

In many cases, the best way to test if a system works is to manipulate REAL data.

I concur with your concerns here. Unfortunately, there's nothing in the application paperwork that mentions our information will be kept confidential.

I'm a Software Engineer, so to look at this from Canon's perspective, dealing with real data is ideal. However, if the Sheriff's Office was not within their rights to provide this information to Canon, then Canon should have done their best to deal with the above issue of testing using emulated data.
    I have been in the software industry for 22 years. Real data is as valid as fake data in terms of testing - and NO Liability with fake data. The software doesn't know the difference in the data you are using. If the programmer can't program without real data - then move on to another vendor.

Letters and numbers are ones ones and zeros - it's just the way they are put together.

We need to be concern about identity theft !!!!

I notified the NRA General Counsel about the situation.

NRA General Counsel told me that they have had several calls - and asked that any of the CCW or Class III holders that received a notice and who would like to have their voices heard, send the NRA General Counsel a letter or Fax your information.

The NRA General Counsel Fax number is 703-267-3985

I view this issue as important. I asked to receive some type of follow-up on this if possible. I was told that I would hear back.

BTW - I know of two folks who have NOT had CCW Permits for several years - ALSO had their information posted.

Sounds sort of like an illegal database of past CCW holders also.
    Last edited by nra-life-member; October 18th, 2006 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nra-life-member View Post
    I have been in the software industry for 22 years. Real data is as valid as fake data in terms of testing - and NO Liability with fake data. The software doesn't know the difference in the data you are using. If the programmer can't program without real data - then move on to another vendor.

Letters and numbers are ones ones and zeros - it's just the way they are put together.

We need to be concern about identity theft !!!!

I notified the NRA General Counsel about the situation.

NRA General Counsel told me that they have had several calls - and asked that any of the CCW or Class III holders that received a notice and who would like to have their voices heard, send the NRA General Counsel a letter or Fax your information.

The NRA General Counsel Fax number is 703-267-3985

I view this issue as important. I asked to receive some type of follow-up on this if possible. I was told that I would hear back.

BTW - I know of two folks who have NOT had CCW Permits for several years - ALSO had their information posted.

Sounds sort of like an illegal database of past CCW holders also.
    You are exactly right. Why this database was web accessible and not firewalled out blows my mind. This data should not be accessible outside of their office. I'm so sick of people who have complete neglect for peoples personal information. Identity theft is very serious and it can really effect peoples lives. I don't care if this sheriff is friendly to Class 3 licenses - it is HIS RESPONSIBLITY to ensure that the data remains safe. I don't even have a LTCF and i'm angry.

By the way, does anyone know if they have taken steps to make the system more secure? I want to go get my license but i'm scared to give them any personal information now.

(Berks County)

I have reviewed some of the law regarding this, and it does seem as if the Sheriff's office is protected, due to Canon working as an agent for them. Hence, the negligence wasn't the Sheriff or his office, but Canon's. However, I do believe a suit could be filed against both since Canon was working incapacity as the Sheriff's office. If they argue differently, the issue they run into is the dissemination of "police records" to non-authorized (police) individuals, whereas if Canon is an agent, they are under the cloak of the Sheriff's office. The problem is damages...unless people have their identity stolen. My father recently told me that they have ascertained that only 40 some records were viewed, and mostly by internet bots (such collect data for people when they request such through services like google, webcrawler...etc). I have not seen that report/article however.

(Berks County)

I'm not interested in a suit, I want to know WHO made the decision to use actual data in setting up this system, instead of Doe, John - SS# 123-45-6789 etc.

Then I want that person fired.

That would make me happy.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast