Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Beretta 92fs lubrication??

Didn't want to hijack Ref's thread on Sig lubing, but it did get me wondering, as the proud owner of a NIB Beretta 92fs, how these guys like to run? We have established that Glocks run dry and Sigs run wet, and everyone has their own ritual when it comes to oil and/or grease. So, how do the guys who have many thousands more rounds through their 92's than I find that she runs best? Thanks!
    "Things have taken a turn for the surreal." - Capt. John Miller

(Chester County)

Default Re: Beretta 92fs lubrication??

Quote Originally Posted by SigMan1980 View Post
    Didn't want to hijack Ref's thread on Sig lubing, but it did get me wondering, as the proud owner of a NIB Beretta 92fs, how these guys like to run? We have established that Glocks run dry and Sigs run wet, and everyone has their own ritual when it comes to oil and/or grease. So, how do the guys who have many thousands more rounds through their 92's than I find that she runs best? Thanks!
    I dunno how you established that, but I'd consider doing more research on that before you became satisfied with that conclusion.

re beretta's:
    Lube all of the points where metal contacts metal: slide and frame rails, and all over your locking block assembly. If it moves against something, lube it up.

(Lebanon County)

I own a Beretta 92fs i keep it lubed.Like the other post said metal on metal friction lube it. I keep all my guns lubed and clean. I don't understand dry or dirty guns. I spend hard earned money on my guns i want them to last and perform at peak performance.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by SigMan1980 View Post
    We have established that Glocks run dry and Sigs run wet...
    I wouldn't run ANY gun dry, if by dry you mean unlubed. My idea of dry for my carry weapon is to lightly oil/grease the appropriate places, assemble the gun, rack the slide multiple times as well as dry fire. I then field strip the gun and wipe off the excess oil and grease. That is MY idea of dry. When I clean the pistol after a range session I leave all of that oil/grease there unless I am going to put it back into my holster. For any storage in my safe, it stays wet. I used to have mine really wet until I figured out what wet really meant.

Just my two cents.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    I dunno how you established that, but I'd consider doing more research on that before you became satisfied with that conclusion.

snip
    From the owners manual:

"Glock pistols are designed to operate properly with only small amounts of lubrication. DO NOT OVER-LUBRICATE your Glock pistol, as large quantities of oil or grease will collect unburnt powder and other residue, which could interfere with proper functioning of your Glock pistol."

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    From the owners manual:

"Glock pistols are designed to operate properly with only small amounts of lubrication. DO NOT OVER-LUBRICATE your Glock pistol, as large quantities of oil or grease will collect unburnt powder and other residue, which could interfere with proper functioning of your Glock pistol."
    Perhaps "dry" was the wrong word, but thats pretty much what I meant. In the other thread about Sig lubing, a lot of the guys seem to be saying that the Sigs run better with more lube than average, just short of enough to collect lint, etc. I was just wondering whether the Beretta was closer to the Glock or Sig in terms of how much it liked.
    "Things have taken a turn for the surreal." - Capt. John Miller

(Chester County)

Lubrication does NOT "collect" link and debris.

It's an old wives tale.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    From the owners manual:

Well, if the owner's manual says that...it's wrong.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    Lubrication does NOT "collect" link and debris.

It's an old wives tale.
    Really? I thought grease and oil routinely get contaminated with foreign particles that they are exposed to. i.e. drop some iron filings on a completely dry surface then turn it over and see what falls off, then repeat with a greased or oiled surface. I would assume (yes just an assumption) that the clean surface would have no filings left, the greased surface would have the most, and the oiled surface would have a few. The smaller the particles, the more likely they are to stick around.

Is there a reason that type of experiment would not apply to pistols? or would the results of that experiment surprise me?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Twister View Post
    Really? I thought grease and oil routinely get contaminated with foreign particles that they are exposed to. i.e. drop some iron filings on a completely dry surface then turn it over and see what falls off, then repeat with a greased or oiled surface. I would assume (yes just an assumption) that the clean surface would have no filings left, the greased surface would have the most, and the oiled surface would have a few. The smaller the particles, the more likely they are to stick around.

Is there a reason that type of experiment would not apply to pistols? or would the results of that experiment surprise me?
    If there is a lubricant there...it will function as a lubricant. If there isn't a lubricant there, there will be no lubrication.

The whole "be afraid of particles sticking to your action" is why the M4 ran like crap in the first run of the "dust chamber" tests.

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/...roversy-03289/

One source noted that the first dust test new M4s had 9,836 jams in 60,000 rounds – almost one jam every 6 rounds. The Army kept working on the test until they figured out a “generous lubrication” approach that used far more than the manufacturer recommended, but lowered jams to 1 in 88 rounds.
    You can also read LAV's article on lubrication here: http://vickerstactical.com/tactical-...n-lubrication/

And his comments about my question of how generous lube plays a role in carry guns:
    generous lube is only a problem for concealed carry where it can stain clothes and the wrong lube (too thick for example) can gum up in the cold

other than that the whole thing about excessive lube attracting dust and sand has proven to be not a problem - tests have revealed that guns with alot of lube vs little to none work much better in sandy or dusty environments - debunking that myth completely

be safe and good luck

Larry Vickers
    Lastly, here is how Larry lubes a glock and a 1911:
    http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=13234
    Lubrication—“ Far and away the most common problem I see when instructing is lack of proper lubrication. This goes for civilians, LE, and military.” We didn’t cover lubrication until TD3, but Larry did comment more than once on the prior days that there were a lot of dry guns in the class and that students should be lubing their pistols in the morning and at lunch. Larry actually showed us how he lubes a Glock and a 1911. He said that if you have only one drop of lube to use, that it should be put on the barrel hood.

Lubing the Glock—With the slide assembly removed, Larry ran a bead of oil along the underside of the entire slide assembly, including the recoil spring, the rails, sear, cruciform plate, and muzzle area of the barrel. He then replaced the slide assembly on the frame and pulled it about ½” out of battery to lube the barrel hood. He then said it should have the slide cycled and be dry fired 8-12 times.

Lubing the 1911—With the slide retracted about ½”, Larry ran a bead of lube across the barrel hood against the slide at the lower/forward edge of the ejection port. He then locked the slide to the rear and lubed the barrel, slide rails, and the top of the disconnector. He then eased the slide forward and put more lube along the side of the barrel hood and a few drops in front of the hammer. He then said it should have the slide cycled and be dry fired 8-12 times.

Larry's approach to lube is exactly what I saw make guns run on the range.
    I love how folks advocate more lube for shooting on the range, than the do when they carry them...is it more important that your gun doesn't stop on the range, or on the street?

Generous lube doesn't cause ANY stoppages in firearms. The entire "don't overlube glocks" argument comes down to not putting oil in the striker channel, or other areas in the slide which are not points of noticeable friction. This is a matter of inappropriate lubrication, not generously lubing the areas where lubrication is needed.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast