Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: New to Rifles

(Allegheny County)

Default New to Rifles

My father passed away about 2 years ago and my mom just recently gave me his rifle. My dad was never big into guns, which is why I am writing this here. The gun was kept underneath their bed in what looks like the case he had when he first got it, has to be at least 28 years old, seeing as I am in my mid-20s now. It is a Winchester Model 94 30-30 lever action. I already own and have my LTC for my Sig, but this rifle is new to me. Can anyone recommend a good website I can visit or any information as to where I would go about cleaning for this firearm? I have done some research but figured I'd go to the best source I know for firearm information and here I am. The gun itself looks like it is in great condition, no dings or pings or anything from what looks like in the barrel, the stock looks great as well, hell even the leather sling is in good condition. As I stated I don't know anything and am very new to long rifles in general, so any help would be great. Thanks.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: New to Rifles

This is a very nice rifle. I have one as well. Never a problem. Which exact model is it? You can download the manual here http://senduit.com/2d6714 I just uploaded it and it will be there for a week. It's 7 MB.

I can't help with the cleaning aspect, however I do have this nugget of advice:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

(Allegheny County)

I can tell you that you should definitely do some googling. There are site's that can tell you about serial number ranges and what year your rifle was created. If it was made prior to 1964, it is probably worth a pretty penny to collectors. I just wanted to make sure you are aware before you sell/reblue/refinish/etc.

(Montgomery County)

By far the best levergun site you'll ever find:

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/

(Chester County)

Yes, try to determine if the gun is pre 1964. If so, then you have something worth some real money. My father has an older 94, still has the top eject. He had to get a side mounted scope as a result. Not a good setup IMO for deer hunting, too awkward to shoot, but he has bad eyesight so the scope helped. I found his Winchester to be clunky to actuate the lever and it is nowhere near as accurate as my Marlin 336, but still the Winchester is a nice gun.

(Allegheny County)

Awesome, first I wanted to thank you guys for the helpful information and the owners manual. After reading the manual and playing around on google for a bit, I determined that this particular gun was made in 1965. (The year of manufacture for serial number 2882564 is 1965. excerpt from the website I used.) Which now that I think about it makes some sense considering how old my dad would have been when he got it.. As for selling it, I just don't foresee myself doing that, I will however take it to a friend of mine (Found out yesterday that one of my superintendent's knows alot about rifles, after i had posted) and have him take a look over it and help advise me on how to clean and get it ready to shoot if in fact its not ready now.

As for a picture, I am still trying to learn what I can about it before I take any pictures. I'll try within the week to post up some pictures in the other section of the site showing it off.

Like I stated earlier I love my Sig and am psyched to have this gun, in time, I want to progress and try out other guns and what not but I think for my first rifle I can have some fun at the ranges with this Model 94. Thanks again.

(Centre County)

My dad's hunting rifle is a Win 94 bought in 1948. He has never failed to get der with it. as a 61 year old gun it probably has less than 300 rounds put through it. We put a scope on it about 15 years ago because of his eyes (he's 80 this year.)

As for the value of a pre 64 Model 94, not as great as everyone thinks. There were many, many, many of these guns produced. To be worth a good amount it woul have to be almost LNIB.

Now, a pre 64 Model 70, that is a different story. After 64 they changed the way the receiver was made and many people feel that the pre 64 was the cream of the crop of Winchester bolt receivers. A Pre 64 Winchester rifle in very good condition can bring a premium price.

I would see this as a very good starter rifle. It is more than adequate for deer in PA.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Columbia County)

Take Homefront's advice...... http://www.levergunscommunity.com/

is one of the best sites on the net for your questions, nice friendly knowledgeable folks there too.
    Congrats to all the Sheeple.... I just hope that mutton isn't on the menu.