Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HK PSG-1

(Wayne County)

Default HK PSG-1

Well what is everyones thoughts on the most sophisticated sniper rifle in the world? I hear they're no longer manufactured but can still be attainable if you have around 10 grand to blow. Definitely a one of a kind item for the right collector.

Default Re: HK PSG-1

I've seen two HK PSG 1s for sale at a gun shop a few years ago. One owner had two of them...the one was used and he wanted 12K and the other was NIB and he wanted 16k for that rifle.

I've owned an original HK 91 and was very disappointed with the rifle. I'll never own another HK rifle again. Over priced and over rated, IMO. YMMV, but I feel that you can get better performance out of a DPMS for half the price of an HK91. My HK91 was the worst purchase that I have ever made and I won't repeat that mistake again. This was when mags were super expensive and their claw mount was costing more than $400 and bipods were running $200. Save your money and buy the JLD PTR91.

(Westmoreland County)

Never handled or fired the PSG-1 but have owned an HK91 and it was superbly accurate. Sold it b/c I didn't like the ergonomics.

A buddy also had an HK91 and bought the PSG trigger group. Made a HUGE difference in the trigger press. I don't think you'd be too far behind the accuracy curve between with an HK91 and that trigger unit vs. a PSG-1.

HK91 + the PSG trigger unit = poor man's PSG-1.

P.S. I wouldn't classify the PSG-1 as the worlds most sophisticated sniper rifle. The The AI AW outclasses it by leaps and bounds. A full out AI is about $7000 and is at least five times the rifle the PSG-1 is.

First, I have never owned a PSG. I do own and occasionally use several Remington PSS rifles, an SVD, several Mosin snipers and an M14 semi.

You can shoot long distance for less...a lot less. You can get two SVDs for one PSG, or even more M14/M21s. Bolt guns are even more cost effective.

With expensive guns, accessories are priced higher also.

I had an HK91 clone, it was a disaster to put it politely. No one got hurt, and I understand it isn't representative of HKs quality. I did notice it was heavier than I expected, and had very similar shooting characteristics to my existing M14 semi-auto. For this reason, I chose not to replace the returned HK-91.

Collecting is much more subjective. If it's what you want and you have the cash, go get it. While HK *does* make quality products, please be advised that HKs customer support doesn't have the best reputation.

In terms of resale, the PSG has matured value-wise so the profit potential is limited to collector interest and budgets. Given that it's a $10k+ weapon, the number of potential buyers will be limited.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    Save your money and buy the JLD PTR91.
    I second that one. I bought a PTR91 not long ago and love it... While I would never classify it as a dedicated sniper rifle, it is very capable with match ammo. With the money saved by a PTR91 you can easily buy 20+ magazines, a Claw mount and whatever other accessories you would desire.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
    Oh yes, thats how it starts. The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think.

Cool Re: HK PSG-1

The PSG1 doesn't even come close to the world's best and most sophisticated sniper rifle. A remington 700 BDL will out perform a PSG1 on any day FFS. I understand what you're going with here though. As for a semi auto sniper rifle, the PSG1 is pretty cool admittedly. However... It can't even compare to a Cheytac Intervention. For the SAME price of a PSG1 you could own a M200 Intervention. I bought a CheyTac M310 .408 A5 McMillan stock last year simply because it was half the price.

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    I've owned an original HK 91 and was very disappointed with the rifle. I'll never own another HK rifle again. Over priced and over rated, IMO.
    Yep! H&K has always been about hype and grossly over priced when you compare the same type of rifles or handguns to theirs. Usually you can get a better made, better quality, more reliable handgun or rifle when you consider the cost of an H&K compared to the cost of a similar product for well under half the price.

But with that said; H&K is still a pretty darn good company that makes very good guns. They will almost always have a loyal fan base of customers and never have a shortage of buyers to keep them in business. That is what keeps their price market so high and outrageously inflated because quite simply... they can!

I can get more accuracy and better reliability out of my CheyTac M310 .408 with the A5 McMillan stock then I could ever get from a H&K PSG1 for quite seriously less then half the price. Of course .408 is a very expensive round to shoot, but that's where reloading will save you. The dies for .408 are pretty spendy but well worth it. Shooting my Glock 20 which is a 10mm and my Cheytac .408 is the sheer reason I got into reloading to be downright honest. The price of both rounds are not only very expensive, but pretty darned hard to come by. Reloading for myself has been a very enjoyable hobby and like I said... it'll save you a ton of cash when it comes to shooting no matter what caliber you go with.

Reason I prefer my CheyTac M310 in the .408 is because the ballistics on .408 are far more impressive then anything else you'll come across. For 7.62, I gotta say though... the H&K MR762 is a must have. I don't have one yet, but plan to buy one of those suckers! You can't get a better assault rifle IMO in the AR-15 / M4 type. The cost is pretty ridiculous because once again... it's an H&K and they price them for some reason as if they were gold plated... but some things in life are worth it. I think the 416's are where H&K hit a home run, and I can't wait to get my hands on a civilian model MR762 which is their 7.62 version of these.

Since we're talking most sophisticated sniper rifle however... Cheytac gets my vote!

The concept behind the CheyTac is to provide long range anti-personnel sniper rifle package, with maximum effective range, but relatively compact and light. The .408 CheyTac cartridge does this by being mid-way in size between the beefy .50BMG and already established long-range favorite .338Lapua... the .408 features a streamlined bullet with advanced patented design. This design allows the standard 419 grain (27.15 gram) bullet to retain its supersonic velocity at the ranges beyond 2200 yards. At any range beyond 700 meters the .408 bullet has more energy than the standard .50BMG ball bullet, and the cartridge is comparatively lighter than .50BMG cartridge by about 1/3, with a much less generated felt recoil of the .50. Now you wanna talk sophistication? The Intervention M200 model has a retractable buttstock which allows for adjustment of the length of pull, and can be fully collapsed for storage and transportation. The barrel can be quickly removed for replacement, or storage and transportation. The butt contains integral real monopod, which is hinged, and can be folded up when not in use. The heavy, fluted barrel is free floated, and its rear part is enclosed by tubular shroud, which serves as a mount for integral folding bipod and carrying handle. Barrel is provided with effective muzzle brake, which can be replaced with OPSINC suppressor (silencer) that comes standard with these suckers. The Intervention M200 rifle is fed using detachable single stack magazines, which hold 5 rounds or can be outfitted with a 10 round magazine. The top of the receiver is outfitted with a permanent MilStd Picatinny rail for a wide variety of optical needs. Standard scope that it comes with is Nightforce NXS 5.5-22X, which can be upgraded with AN/PVS-14 Night Vision module upon ordering, and AN/PEQ-2 IR laser. If that doesn't impress you for a sophisticated monster of a sniper rifle... then quite honestly you never will be! =P
    Last edited by Last Rites; April 16th, 2010 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SFMarine View Post
    Well what is everyones thoughts on the most sophisticated sniper rifle in the world? I hear they're no longer manufactured but can still be attainable if you have around 10 grand to blow. Definitely a one of a kind item for the right collector.
    Great gun at a ridiculous price, even before the premium added by the banning. If you can find one for ten g's, that sounds like a great buy. I'm seeing 13 and 14 on gunbroker.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Rites View Post
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]The PSG1 doesn't even come close to the world's best and most sophisticated sniper rifle. A remington 700 BDL will out perform a PSG1 on any day FFS.
    I think it was probably the best in '72 when it came out though, and to be fair the BDL is a bolt action, and one of the great things about the HK is that it is a semi - not many semi-auto sniper rifles around at that time, and none I can think of that would be better than the HK, with the possible exception of a MA2 modified by Hathcock.

For my money the Accuracy International stuff is the best at any price.

(Lehigh County)

I think it was probably the best in '72 when it came out though
    An AR-10 with under a grand of accurizing done to it would blow the PSG-1 out of the water, even in '72. And it would do it for far less money.
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

(York County)

Oh come on now, when I hear "sophisticated" I think sleek, sexy, high class, one of a kind....... What else is better described by this than the Walther WA 2000?

With only 176 ever made and a current going price of around $75K, I think this would be a little more out of the price range, though.....

(Bucks County)

back when the PSG1 first hit the market i think it was the premier semiauto sniper rifle and one of the few if not the only semiauto capable of equaling bolt action sniper rifle performance. with that said it's outdated technology and there are several companies building semiauto sniper rifles that are cheaper than the PSG1 but exceed the PSG1's capabilities. it's my understanding there were very few PSG1's imported into the country which accounts for the 10K plus price tag. i have owned several HK rifles and pistols and my experience has always been positive.

i wouldn't say HK's are over hyped since 100's of police forces and government agencies around the world used and still use the HK94 and several countires adopted the g3 as their main battle rifle which speaks to the quality of HK firearms. HK's have always been expensive but so have most european rifles like the sig 551 or steyr aug. in my opinion the adoption of HK firearms by governments and LEO are a big reason HK is so popular in the civilian market.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast